Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

robinph wrote: »
    Surprised that the only UK one on that list is London, or the Falklands but that is listed twice for some reason. Or is it that they want everyone to be going for the same events to make selection easier than if they had 6 people doing the same time in 6 different races?

Peculiar indeed considering the shedloads of UK marathons, many of them well-established and respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Whats the course like in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Overall, it's flatter than Dublin and the last 4.75 miles or so are all down or flat. There are several shortish drags and two short sharp climbs of about 30 - 60 metres each.
    Garmin course profile

The marathon route is covered by 5 relay legs. These are detailed here:
    Relay Leg 1
    Relay Leg 2
    Relay Leg 3
    Relay Leg 4
    Relay Leg 5

NB the changeover for Leg 2/3 will move due to the new Half-mar, making Leg 2 about 0.25M shorter, with a corresponding change in Leg 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Cant wait for this. I did 3 legs of the relay last year and it was my favourite race ever. So well organised, lovely route and all those crazy, brilliant people who stood out in that storm shouting us on. Loved it, LOVED it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Whats the course like in Cork?

While no-where near as detailed as the almost step by step guide posted by Condo131 above, a whole bunch of details appeared on the website recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

The half marathon route has been annouced today

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/city-marathon-runners-can-now-do-things-by-halves-143359.html

I plan on this being my first half.....a good choice? Nice and flat? I hope! :D I've only been running 6 months so a novice, but training for 10 miles in April at the moment....so hopefully can step it up to the half by June.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    The half marathon route has been annouced today

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/city-marathon-runners-can-now-do-things-by-halves-143359.html

I plan on this being my first half.....a good choice? Nice and flat? I hope! :D I've only been running 6 months so a novice, but training for 10 miles in April at the moment....so hopefully can step it up to the half by June.

Excellent choice, the CCM is a great event and you'll love it. You'll find a few sporting undulations as you get into the course but, if you include a few hills in your training, they're nothing to be concerned about.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Excellent choice, the CCM is a great event and you'll love it. You'll find a few sporting undulations as you get into the course but, if you include a few hills in your training, they're nothing to be concerned about.

Ooooh, am looking forward to it now! I'd say the atmosphere is unreal on the day. I still cant imagine me finishing a half marathon :eek: but then again a few months ago 4 miles was the holy grail :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If we don't arrange any ART relay teams for the full this year I think I might still come and do the half instead.

So what time does the Half start at? Same time as the full?

That info hasn't been posted yet. All I know is that it starts on Skehard Road, so further on in the course than the full.

• Advertisement

The times proposed for each start are:
    Full - 8:30
    Relay -9:15
    Half - 10:15

The idea behind the separate Full and Relay starts is to ensure that the first person over the line is the Marathon winner.

The Half start is set to try to ensure minimal problems when the Marathon and Half participants merge on the Marina, immediately after the Marathon's 15 Mile mark.

The Half start is on Skehard Road, close to Ringmahon Road. Turning left onto Ringmahon Road, where the relay changeover point has been - that'll be moving to a point just before where the Half comes in, about 0.25 mile move.

The Half and Marathon continue together, for about 0.5 mile, before they split again, with the Marathon turning onto the Lakelands Walkway and the Half heading up through Blackrock Village and on up the Marina, rejoining the Marathon route just before Pairc Ui Caoimh, half way up the Marina. From there on, Relay, Half and Full all cover the same course.

Condo131 wrote: »

The idea behind the separate Full and Relay starts is to ensure that the first person over the line is the Marathon winner.

The Half start is set to try to ensure minimal problems when the Marathon and Half participants merge on the Marina, immediately after the Marathon's 15 Mile mark.

The Half start is on Skehard Road, close to Ringmahon Road. Turning left onto Ringmahon Road, where the relay changeover point has been - that'll be moving to a point just before where the Half comes in, about 0.25 mile move.

The Half and Marathon continue together, for about 0.5 mile, before they split again, with the Marathon turning onto the Lakelands Walkway and the Half heading up through Blackrock Village and on up the Marina, rejoining the Marathon route just before Pairc Ui Caoimh, half way up the Marina. From there on, Relay, Half and Full all cover the same course.

Just sneaked a look at your profile and there and I am in awe. :) Oh and go Eagle!! I came to train at the track once but it was way too soon for me and could barely walk afterwards lol. But as I said to the lads - I'll be back!!! (Maybe if I survive the half marathon) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Mac Cormaic

It's a pity they have split the start times. Part of the atmosphere of the race is setting off in a big crowd. I can see a few people making the mistake of splitting off where they are not suppose to (half/full routes). Still its a great marathon to run. looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'll be doing the relay again and will miss the Marathon people. Last year, for the first leg, I was at the back of the 3 hour pace group, hanging in for dear life. I'll have no such luck this year and I reckon that it'll be pretty lonely for both Full and Relay runners, running in more sparse groups. ...but that's the way the CCM people want to start 2011.

As you say, there is the danger of people heading the wrong way ....somebody is bound to do it, no matter what!!... There should be plenty of signs and stewards to direct people... but ....somebody is bound to do it, no matter what!!...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hmm, not sure about the relay start being different. Should make it a bit more obvious who exactly your racing against though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Hmm, not sure about the relay start being different. Should make it a bit more obvious who exactly your racing against though.

Since they are moving the relay start time, it might be an interesting ploy to set a start handicap and have an extra prize for either the individual winner or the relay team winner...whoever crosses the line first. So, assuming the marathon might be won in 2:30 and the relay team could do 2:15, give the marathon runners a 15min headstart. They do this in some marathons where the female elites are given a headstart and the male runners try to catch them, a bonus to whoever crosses the line first on top of the usual individual prize.

Just sneaked a look at your profile and there and I am in awe. :)
    Thanks!
    Oh and go Eagle!!
    ..and thanks for that too!
    I came to train at the track once but it was way too soon for me and could barely walk afterwards lol. But as I said to the lads - I'll be back!!! (Maybe if I survive the half marathon) :D
    Well...if you're up for the half in June, you're probably ok to try track again, even now. Why not give it a try again, whenever suits you. Tuesdays are probably best, as there are more diverse, and larger, groups. You're likely to find a group that better suits your current level. Sounds like we pushed you a bit last time...sorry! :o

We're planning a Marathon buildup, starting immediately after Ballycotton and a modified version of that (largely with shorter long runs) may suit your training for the Half.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Since they are moving the relay start time, it might be an interesting ploy to set a start handicap and have an extra prize for either the individual winner or the relay team winner...whoever crosses the line first. So, assuming the marathon might be won in 2:30 and the relay team could do 2:15, give the marathon runners a 15min headstart. They do this in some marathons where the female elites are given a headstart and the male runners try to catch them, a bonus to whoever crosses the line first on top of the usual individual prize.

Would be a good challenge alright. I'm surprised that the relay isn't completed in a quicker time already, there must be enough speedy 5 mile runners about Ireland that could get together a team to aim for a very fast 2hr or quicker time.

In theory the ART forum could make two 2:30'ish teams from the top 10 names in the 5 mile list of last years Best of 2010 thread, and there are faster people out there.

I'm surprised that the relay isn't completed in a quicker time already, there must be enough speedy 5 mile runners about Ireland that could get together a team to aim for a very fast 2hr or quicker time.
    Yes, I'm equally surprised. I'd *LOVE* to be on such a team. Trouble is, I'd now probably have to be on skates :eek:, or a bike to do anything near 6 min miling for a leg, let alone 5 min.

Nevertheless, it'd be cool to see! Going from memory, the relay winning times, to date, wouldn't have won individual in Dublin. More competition needed to spur things on!! After all, why bust a gut to win, when you only need to beat the other guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Would be a good challenge alright. I'm surprised that the relay isn't completed in a quicker time already, there must be enough speedy 5 mile runners about Ireland that could get together a team to aim for a very fast 2hr or quicker time.

In theory the ART forum could make two 2:30'ish teams from the top 10 names in the 5 mile list of last years Best of 2010 thread, and there are faster people out there.

Twould take sub 23mim 5 milers to break 2hrs...would require our very best international runners. To break Haile's time would require impressive running.....he ran 4 back to back sub 29:30 10k's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

As you say, there is the danger of people heading the wrong way ....somebody is bound to do it, no matter what!!... There should be plenty of signs and stewards to direct people... but ....somebody is bound to do it, no matter what!!...

Probably the ones wearing headphones :rolleyes: dives for cover

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Signed up for this last week, first marathon event after I failed to sign up for Connamara in time :)

Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Mac Cormaic

Yeah, I'll be doing the relay again and will miss the Marathon people. Last year, for the first leg, I was at the back of the 3 hour pace group, hanging in for dear life. I'll have no such luck this year and I reckon that it'll be pretty lonely for both Full and Relay runners, running in more sparse groups. ...but that's the way the CCM people want to start 2011.

Yes I noticed this in the Dublin marathon. When the 3.30 pace group caught up to me, I pushed myself on for another 4 miles with them. There is something very motivating running in a pace group; it gives you an extra incentive to push yourself that little bit more. Running in sparser groups will probably slow down peoples times by a few minutes.

Thanks!

..and thanks for that too!

Well...if you're up for the half in June, you're probably ok to try track again, even now. Why not give it a try again, whenever suits you. Tuesdays are probably best, as there are more diverse, and larger, groups. You're likely to find a group that better suits your current level. Sounds like we pushed you a bit last time...sorry! :o

We're planning a Marathon buildup, starting immediately after Ballycotton and a modified version of that (largely with shorter long runs) may suit your training for the Half.

I'm doing a 10 mile training programme at the moment (Hal Higdon) so I was planning on coming back once I run my first 10 miles, which should be in Cobh in April. It's pace that kills me, so I think I need a bit more of an endurance base before I can try the track again. (10k has been my most so far).

Dont worry, I'll be back! :D It's a great club, and so welcoming. Last time I had only run 4 miles for the first time so I think I tried it out way too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    18 week training plan starts tomorrow ;).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So... about this whole relay team lark. Anyone interested? :D

(more to the point, session afterwards? :pac: )

I don't know if I'll make it over this year but put me down as a maybe. About time you rallied the girl troops for a female team RK.

I'm up for some relay action, and of course the post race beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

eliwallach wrote: »
    18 week training plan starts tomorrow ;).

My plan starts with a recovery run after the Dungarvan 10 today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

hey

im trying to decide which half marathon to do this year ( it will be my first)! ,limerick, wexford or cork??? too many options!

anyone any thoughts which one would be good for a first timer ??? am up to 15k's on my long runs in about 1hr20mins..

cheers!

Advertisement