Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naked in the sauna.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

It's just an Irish culture thing (I'm guessing somehow the Catholic church has something to do with it), I've been in hotel leisure centres and gyms abroad and it's just seems normal for people of both sexes to strut about starkers in them including the saunas.

• McCrack wrote: »
    It's just an Irish culture thing (I'm guessing somehow the Catholic church has something to do with it), I've been in hotel leisure centres and gyms abroad and it's just seems normal for people of both sexes to strut about starkers in them including the saunas.

Leave out the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, it can't be the scapegoat for everyones issues !

I agree with you OP, more so from a hygienic point of view, I don't particularly like sitting in a sweaty area where the chubby old guy was sitting starch naked.

But if there is no hygiene issue, then I suppose I can deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I don't think it's the Church's fault (for a change) but moreso an Anglophonic thing - the Brits and Americans are as convinced as us that naked=sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

jacool wrote: »
    that's precisely because it is hygienic. they bring towels in and sit on those, thereby not exposing anyone else to their sweat/perspiration. that's a benefit of not having the body hang-ups we have here - still the only country that can't show a breast in a breast-feeding campaign. they actually have "clothes police" to remind people to divest !

wrong that whole liberated thing of being naked is fading in some of the more 'liberated' european countries. go on a beach in france and look who is naked? fat old people, you won't see young people like this as much anymore. in sweden hardly anybody is ever naked, they might have the laws allowing for it but you won't see it really that much.

maby its not some deep rooted cultural thing, maby people just feel more comfortable not strutting around naked. i wouldn't do it, not because im some conservative bore but because nobody needs to see me butt naked. my best friend is muslim and he wouldn't even use showers in the gym. i notice a lot of the indian lads in my gym in the shower go in with their shorts, perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    in sweden hardly anybody is ever naked, they might have the laws allowing for it but you won't see it really that much.

Bit cold for parading around in nudity round Sweden way, surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You would be kicked out of the sauna here if you were not naked, a lot of the changing rooms are also mixed and I've yet to see anyone having a problem with this. Don't know why there is such a hangup about it in Ireland, it's just skin after all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I also think its cultural. Were Irish, we dont do nekkid. I blame it on the climate. :)

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being naked in a sauna? (apart from if youre a letch)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Your whole body gets the benefit, not just the bits that are bare. Also, much more comfortable and relaxing. Imagine having a bath in clothes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

t-ha wrote: »
    Maybe norwegian guys have superior towel placement abilities? :confused:

They must, no way I could sit around naked with a few crackers without them
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Went out with a Norwegian girl once - there's a good reason why it doesn't bother them. ;)

Im lost :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

t-ha wrote: »
    surely there's no way that would work without ending in an orgy, or all the girls running out screaming?

Maybe norwegian guys have superior towel placement abilities? :confused:
    How could that work in a sauna? You'd be sweaty enough as it is...christ you'd want some amount of fluid in you for an orgy. :P
    Oryx wrote: »
    I also think its cultural. Were Irish, we dont do nekkid. I blame it on the climate. :)

Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being naked in a sauna? (apart from if youre a letch)
    Well, I've never been in a naked sauna before (probably too young anyway...don't see the difference, male's changing room at the gym is full of old naked men anyway) but you could hardly go in with cloths on or anything. You'd bake and the sweat would ruin them. Put simply, it'd be uncomfortable. As Eileen said, a bath with cloths on.

Although I do agree with you on culture, it's abit of a taboo in Ireland for mixed-sex nakedness. Probably due to Ireland being a heavy-Christian society for so long, people still have that sort of mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I don't mind being in a (optional) naked sauna, once I can wear a towel. Yes great, others being comfortable with themselves I can deal but I don't do naked! Fecking Europeans of course they don't mind being naked, have you seen scandanavian people? they're all gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

nobody wants a testicle slipping between the lats of the seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Fugly wrote: »
    I don't mind being in a (optional) naked sauna, once I can wear a towel. Yes great, others being comfortable with themselves I can deal but I don't do naked! Fecking Europeans of course they don't mind being naked, have you seen scandanavian people? they're all gorgeous.

I lol'd. you haven't yet witnessed fat overweight french guys with a shriveled up thingy strutting around a beach yet i dont think?

its a myth, it doesnt exist especially among younger people. it was part of a whole liberation thing in the 60's, and being naked was a sign of being proud to be female but these days its not like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

Thankfully not:) although I have been flashed by creepy older men.
    I did however interrail last summer.Communal showers *shudders* Only single sex but I honestly waited until I reached a hotel to shower. :rolleyes:.
    Like I say, if they're naked, I can deal, once they keep their distance but I don't get naked ever:cool: My clothes are stitched to my skin:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You have to wear swimsuit over here (australia)
    so its not just a cold climate issue,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The sauna in germany comprises of 2 pools, turkish room, 4 traditional sauna rooms, steam room, jacuzzi, heat room, solar room, crystal room, bar & reastaurant !!! not a cozzie in sight. The last time we were there the Town Council were having their weekly meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Fugly wrote: »
    Thankfully not:) although I have been flashed by creepy older men.
    I did however interrail last summer.Communal showers *shudders* Only single sex but I honestly waited until I reached a hotel to shower. :rolleyes:.
    Like I say, if they're naked, I can deal, once they keep their distance but I don't get naked ever:cool: My clothes are stitched to my skin:cool:

Smell ya later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

nobody wants a testicle slipping between the lats of the seat

Oh I'd love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does anyone use Baby Oil in the Sauna?

Remember in gym when in Cork one day and we got know this guy quiet well. Anyway we were trying loose bit weight and he told us good way is get baby oil and put it all over body and you sweat lot more

We tried it inside sauna and for first 5 minutes myself and mate were looking at each other thinking this guy talking crap then all sudden the sweat coming off us was unreal we were like waterfall both us.

Works treat still do it especially after night on beer cant beat it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I guess it is an anglophonic thing. I noticed in a campsite showers in California that were all cubicles. I just thought that was a bit inefficient.

Mind you, my sister wasn't too comfortable at the all out stripping off at the Electric Picnic. And my mother was very uneasy at the communal (though single sex) changing rooms in a Turkish bath in Budapest. Did notice a bit of stripping off in the single sex baths there too.

I've been, however, to nude beaches in Spanish resorts and find it way more convenient to strip off entirely for communal showers - its just far handier to do what I always do. And I will happily chat away to whoever is beside me without feeling uncomfortable. Its just easier. The only reason I stopped the nude beach habit was because of sunburn. Saunas I think depends on what you've been doing beforehand, how much space there is, layouts, etc.

I had a membership to a Cork city hotel gym a couple of years back, and at one stage all these hot Eastern European strippers joined up and cavorted naked around the ladies changing area and showers. Didn't bother me but there were a fair few horrified looks from the older Irish women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

shoegirl wrote: »
    I guess it is an anglophonic thing. I noticed in a campsite showers in California that were all cubicles. I just thought that was a bit inefficient.

Mind you, my sister wasn't too comfortable at the all out stripping off at the Electric Picnic. And my mother was very uneasy at the communal (though single sex) changing rooms in a Turkish bath in Budapest. Did notice a bit of stripping off in the single sex baths there too.

I've been, however, to nude beaches in Spanish resorts and find it way more convenient to strip off entirely for communal showers - its just far handier to do what I always do. And I will happily chat away to whoever is beside me without feeling uncomfortable. Its just easier. The only reason I stopped the nude beach habit was because of sunburn. Saunas I think depends on what you've been doing beforehand, how much space there is, layouts, etc.

I had a membership to a Cork city hotel gym a couple of years back, and at one stage all these hot Eastern European strippers joined up and cavorted naked around the ladies changing area and showers. Didn't bother me but there were a fair few horrified looks from the older Irish women.
    Of course it would be, sure they're only just getting used to the idea of premarital sex ;) :P.

The thing I find strange about this whole naked in the sauna business, is that the Irish as far as I'm aware are the only people that get apprehensive about it, every other country has no problem with it. Sure christ even in japan, people bathe naked together, and no one even turns a glance. Course in the gym I go to, the sauna and steam room are right next to the pool, so it's understandable why they'd want you to cover up, but I just wrap a towel around the waist.

Same as sitting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Lol it is hard to believe that this is still an issue in Ireland and some other Countries:) The Victorians would be proud of themselves.Their 'morality even extended to covering Table and chair legs with a cover of some kind!:) unbelieveable:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The vast majority of people using the suana in the men's changing room's in TotalFitness (Malahide Rd) do so naked, including me - no big deal really.

yeah i used to go naked there too. I used to go out with a German girl and she was really surprised people wear clothes in the saunas here, even the mixed ones are all naked in Deutschland AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sunnydelight

it's bad enough people seeing me hot & sweaty in the gym, but hot sweaty and naked in the suana:eek:

it be a case of i didnt recognise you with your clothes on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Oryx wrote: »

I blame the Grand Irish Bellies.

Advertisement