Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

• 26-09-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I think it reached a new low for me today...

Generally I avoid switching on the radio between 9 and ten in the morning, its just too risky

However I have listened to Tubridy on occassion and have come to the conclusion that his show is getting worse

Today it was a round table on "chivalry in modern Ireland" followed by Brendan Courtney on the new Head to Toe or Off The Rails of whatever the hell they're calling it nowadays

I have to say I was completely blown away by the pointlessness of it all.

Its my opinion that the Tubridy Show has absolutely nothing to offer, I wonder does he go away satisfied when the red light switches off at ten am?

250k a year for this?

Can you cope with more of Ryan Tubridy? 329 votes

noooo...I am with you
    0% 0 votes
    no..I've decided just now... no more!
    69% 229 votes
    yes.. I am a masochist (or... yes... he's ok)
    18% 60 votes
    yes .. I love tubberware and all things plastic
    12% 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Twitter ye not! It's just lightweight entertainment so don't anyone take it too seriously, afterall he's sandwiched in between the serious Pat Kenny and the even more serious Morning Ireland so Tubridy offers a brief respite, which is good, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He also does Tubridy Tonight to be factual about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

giftgrub wrote: »
    I think it reached a new low for me today...
    However I have listened to Tubridy on occassion and have come to the conclusion that his show is getting worse

IMO, he reaches a new low every time he wakes up :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm going to try to be generous here because I've reached the stage where I leap out of bed after Morning Ireland just to turn the dial from Radio 1, so inane is the show, so here goes...
    Perhaps Big Tone is right and it's the show's timing and format which causes problems. Tubs obviously rates himself as a current affairs heavy hitter in a sports jacket :rolleyes: so why not let him get his teeth into something weighty, perhaps 1 decent interview over 1 hour.
    I seem to remember that when Marian Finucane was in the same slot, it felt very haphazard and chaotic. Now that she can prepare for her weekend show and, I suppose, gets the resources for research and good guests, she can probe people a little more and get to the heart of issues.
    I actually believe RT has no feel for people, wreathing his contempt or lack of the common touch in barbed humour, which is wearing very very thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i think ryan tubridy is fantastic , the hour breezes past , while a geek at heart , i like the way tubridy fancies himself as a bit of a lounge lizzard what with his love of swing music and general style , while he does try hard , its well hidden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

giftgrub wrote: »
    Generally I avoid switching on the radio between 9 and ten in the morning, its just too risky

This I agree is generally a great idea.I usually hit the OFF button or play a CD.

However compared to Tom Dunne on Newstalk,Tubridy is a broadcasting Collosus !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Intersting interview with Ryan Tubridy on last Sunday's Culture Section of the ST. A rather personal yet open interview which made for very interesting reading.

If you had any preconceived ideas about him they could very well be disspelled by this one article.

BTW CH the jury is still out on Tom Dunne, so early rushes to judgment would be unfair, give the man time to settle in and get in to his stride, which could take up to a year.

Don't think he will get a year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Big Tone wrote: »

If you had any preconceived ideas about him they could very well be disspelled by this one article.

BTW CH the jury is still out on Tom Dunne, so early rushes to judgment would be unfair, give the man time to settle in and get in to his stride, which could take up to a year.
    The Tubridy interview in ST was indeed good. But that only goes to highlight the STs ability in its approach to revealing its subject. The interviewer did a good job. The interviewee (Tubridy) was simply interviewed. He should have being taking notes on how it's properly done. Rule 1: At least pretend you have empathy with your subject and disguise your disdain for your subject and audience.

If Tom Dunne's show can sell insurance, bread and Costcutters to its listenership then it's open to the same rules of critical engagement as any other show. His show has all the penache of woodchip wallpaper.

humberklog wrote: »
    The Tubridy interview in ST was indeed good. But that only goes to highlight the STs ability in its approach to revealing its subject. The interviewer did a good job. The interviewee (Tubridy) was simply interviewed. He should have being taking notes on how it's properly done. Rule 1: At least pretend you have empathy with your subject and disguise your disdain for your subject and audience.

If Tom Dunne's show can sell insurance, bread and Costcutters to its listenership then it's open to the same rules of critical engagement as any other show. His show has all the penache of woodchip wallpaper.

:confused:

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the poster that says that it is too early to criticise TDs show.

The aul double negative has me up in a cocked hat.

Aaah think I have you now, that fookin comma threw me.

Tom is fair game from day one, agree with you totally if that is your view.

The aul double negative has me up in a cocked hat.
    Oooh...that was wrong on so many levels. Thank you FB.

Aaah think I have you now, that fookin comma threw me.

Tom is fair game from day one, agree with you totally if that is your view.
    Yes it is. Fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its very easy to have a go at Tubridy so I'm not going to bother. Anyway I don't take him too seriously and he's usually got a good guest/subject on his show at least once a week. Lisa Hannigan yesterday was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

He had another good guest this morning, some woman who wrote about her alcoholism , losing her children and so forth. Classic Irish tale of misery. Should be a best seller. But in fairness, I though Tubridy did a good job in leading the interview, he doesn't try to impart his knowledge of a subject too much, unlike old plank features on after him. The show is meant to be light entertainment, and I think he does a good job of it. I've grown to like his style, from once having an irrational hatred of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well it's an early start for Tubridy...

Despite his 2FM web page (http://2fm.rte.ie/tubridy) saying that he's still got 2 days, 23 hours, etc. to go til his show kicks off on *cough* Monday... he got impatient and decided to kick off this morning instead.

As someone who's never listened to him on RTÉ Radio 1, I think he's sounding brilliant and is showing that he's a good choice as replacement for G. Ryan. I do think it's a pity he's not doing 3 hours.

I think he's made a great start... Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Bono on now sounding as bored and dreary as ever....

In fairness to Bono, he's on tour... and is in bed, knackered.

• Advertisement

Yeah but come on Bard.... Bono always sounds like that ;)

Meh! ... I thought it was an alright interview.. and Tubs' good timing meant it didn't go on for too long :)

Although now he's top story on 2fm news... lol!

Yep, slow news day obviously :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I gave it go, but he just irritates me. I don't get his appeal at all.

The Bono interview was bloody awful - "Whats your favourite room?":rolleyes:

Well that's down to the quality of the questions people sent him on twitter really, Rubik... although I sent him "What did you really think of South Park taking the piss out of you in that episode 'More Crap'?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I think Tubridy is doing well. He's very nervous which is understandable given how close he was to Gerry Ryan and the fact that it is a major show on the national airwaves.

I used to hate Tubridy, but since he took-over the 'Late Late' he's grown on me.

I used to listen to Gerry Ryan and Ray D'arcy. (I used to alternate). Although of late D'arcy's been annoying me a bit, so I might listen to Tubridy for a few weeks now before I decide to who listen to full time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think he's doing really well, he's clearly nervous but doing a good job of hiding it. I think he is so natural on the radio, I think it will really work in this time slot. He did a nice tribute to Gerry and played a song for him which I think was a nice touch.

I do agree that the 2 hours seems a bit short, it feels like he is only warming into it and it's nearly over!

Bono sounded like he had a hard night last night ;).

Good luck Tubs, great job so far!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's such a relief he's not on Radio One. I saw a picture of him on the RTE website earlier with the caption "Ryan Tubridy begins new radio show" and thought "fuk it he's back" :( ..... But my frown was soon turned upside down when I remembered he was on Radio Two.. :)

It's such a relief he's not on Radio One. I saw a picture of him on the RTE website earlier with the caption "Ryan Tubridy begins new radio show" and thought "fuk it he's back" :( ..... But my frown was soon turned upside down when I remembered he was on Radio Two.. :)

And the fact that you refer to 2FM as Radio Two certainly shows that you are a loyal Radio One listener :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mr Velo wrote: »
    And the fact that you refer to 2FM as Radio Two certainly shows that you are a loyal Radio One listener :D

:) Would you believe that I dont even have it preset on my wireless

Advertisement