Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you change a wheel??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Have boob, will flash.

Have nuts, will tighten

Have boob, will flash.
    does the other one appear after the wheel is swapped! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes.

I drive the bloody thing, I consider it my responsibility to fix minor problems myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I've done a Fetac level 5 course in tyre changing where I got my degree in tyre changing. Hoping to go back in September to get my Fetac level 6 tyre changing degree where I'll be a fully qualified tyre changer then I hope to start up my own business in tyre changing woop x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I've done a Fetac level 5 course in tyre changing where I got my degree in tyre changing. Hoping to go back in September to get my Fetac level 6 tyre changing degree where I'll be a fully qualified tyre changer then I hope to start up my own business in tyre changing woop x

A bit like Kwik Fit then

• Advertisement

Mint Aero wrote: »
    The FETEC level 6 is the one where you have the change an alloy wheel that has been in place for at least two years and was fitted without greasing the hub and a pneumatic hammer set to "Truck Wheel" mode was used to tighten the nuts.

Plus for a bonus marks, the spanner supplied is made of cheap steel that splits when the first nut is attempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Have boob, will flash.

I'll be there in 5 minutes. Will you check if you're got a spare in the boot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Mickey H wrote: »
    I'll be there in 5 minutes. Will you check if you're got a spare in the boot. :D

Women don't have spare boobs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

mike_ie wrote: »
    The first car contained two girls heading up to Sligo for their RAG week, who had no idea how to use anything they had just pulled out of the boot, so they asked if I could help, which I was happy to.

Do you think it'd be rude to instruct them how to do it properly, rather than just changing the wheel for them? Let them actually do the work while guiding them through the process?

What's the bloody point of them not learning for themselves? What if it happens again and there's no knight in shining armor to come and rescue them? Seems like a golden opportunity to learn a new skill. It ain't rocket science. And just being female is no excuse not to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I can change one no bother, I can change the damn engine if the mood takes me. On the whole though, there's never a spare, or a jack, or a brace, as someone has taken them to "do somthing else" with. I ring a mate who has a mobile tyre business and try not to look too uninvolved as I drink a coffee and smoke a fag. It goes "on the bill" - dog and barking and all that jazz..

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

SamAK wrote: »
    Do you think it'd be rude to instruct them how to do it properly, rather than just changing the wheel for them? Let them actually do the work while guiding them through the process?

What's the bloody point of them not learning for themselves? What if it happens again and there's no knight in shining armor to come and rescue them? Seems like a golden opportunity to learn a new skill. It ain't rocket science. And just being female is no excuse not to learn.

I agree with the sentiment, certainly. One of my close friends, her dad takes her and her sister aside once a year and gets them to each change a wheel in the driveway.

However, in this case - at the side of the main road, in the dark, trucks and cars flying by, not so much. Plus I had my own wheel to change afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes my Loving Dad taught me how to change a wheel. I can only do it with some serious elbow-grease & some time. Don't think that you could say I can change a wheel like a boss, but with a lickle time & some serious elbow grease I can :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

mike_ie wrote: »
    However, in this case - at the side of the main road, in the dark, trucks and cars flying by, not so much. Plus I had my own wheel to change afterwards...

Fair point, I didn't think about it being dark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Wouldn't have a clue, but I have 24 breakdown assistance on my insurance. Or I'd just flash some boob.

There's no such thing as a free lunch eh?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Aineoil wrote: »
    I know how to change a tyre, but honestly I am not strong enough to undo the nuts on the wheel. My tyres are put on in the garage and they use a machine to tighten them.

Years ago a guy in lovely suit driving a BMW got a flat tyre just outside my house. I live in the country(sticks). He asked if I could phone a number of local garages to help him out. I was very skeptical that they would, but I rang the garages anyway. As I predicted there was no joy from any garage.

So he decided he would change the tyre himself. He asked me where the spare tyre was located.......

The car had alloys on the wheels and he asked me what to do first. My reply was "I think you have to remove the alloys first". He wanted to know how to do that.....

When he knocked on my door I was hoovering with my new Dyson hoover. He wanted to know what the Dyson was.....I should have known at that point this guy had no clue.

The story has a good ending. He waited until my husband came home to changed the tyre for him.

That's no prob.

Carry a good lump hammer & use it on the wheel-brace if the nuts are tight.

They'll always loosen with a bit of friendly persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

People around South Roscommon and North Galway probably know what road I'm talking about when I say the Bog Road after the Agricultural College in Mountbellew. It's probably the longest, most miserable and remote road in the west of Ireland. It's horrible. I don't know if there's even phone signal out there.

My dad hit a pothole last week out there so had to change his tyre. Thankfully he was able to do so.

We got talking and we were saying what if it was me? I'd be stranded and in a real spot of bother as I don't know how to change a tyre. So that's definitely on my to-do-very-soon list. I need to get one of the things for undoing the nuts on the wheel with your foot. I wouldn't be strong enough by hand.

I can't believe we don't get taught how to do so as part of our driving lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Yes. One time I had difficulty getting the jack out of the storage compartment in my last car, other than that not a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Have boob, will flash.

And what happens when you hit middle age and your boobs are tied around your waist, what will you flash then? Money maybe !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

yes I'm able.

my boss was trying to help a woman at work change her wheel and wasn't able to loosen the nuts because he was turning it them wrong way. then he started jumping on the wrench making them tighter all 18 or 19 stone of him. god love him he hasn't a clue about diy or the like. they ended up having to call a local callout service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Mr Bean's car ended up needing more than wheel change.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Technically, yes. I have changed a few wheels but I couldn't change one recently on my new car. I couln't even find the spare (under the car... who would have looked there!) A friendly man stopped to help. I was so thankful but really embarrassed that I was so helpless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Changed 3 last week and still failed the bastard NCT.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    People around South Roscommon and North Galway probably know what road I'm talking about when I say the Bog Road after the Agricultural College in Mountbellew. It's probably the longest, most miserable and remote road in the west of Ireland. It's horrible. I don't know if there's even phone signal out there.

Think I know it - it heads east out of Mountbellew. 10 miles of nothing, basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Done a few, not a problem. Unless the wheels haven't been rotated according to the schedule in the manual, and the rim has seized to the hub, and you have to call the AA guy out with his big soft hammer to bludgeon the wheel loose ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bnt wrote: »
    Done a few, not a problem. Unless the wheels haven't been rotated according to the schedule in the manual,
    why would you do that unless you wanted to have to fork out for four new tires at the same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

why would you do that unless you wanted to have to fork out for four new tires at the same time ?
    You're kidding, right? Rotating tyres reduces uneven wear. So what if you have to buy four at once, if they all last longer overall? If the manufacturer says do it, then do it. If you don't believe me, see Wikipedia, or (even better) read this.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Yes. When I bought my first car, my father tooks the keys and would not give them to me until I rotated the wheels. He said I had no business driving a car if I did not know how to deal with a puncture. It slightly backfired on him as the car was parked infront of the family business and the customers called him some choice names for not changing a wheel for his daughter:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I can change a wheel but my butler does it for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Yep because my Dad invented the wheel

Advertisement