Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was looking at 3kg+ pork joints earlier, would a slow cooker get hot enough to cook one through?

If it fits in the slow cooker it will definitely cook through. The most epic thread we have in the Cooking Club is for slow cooked pulled pork, and although the original post is for a 1.5kg joint, I've done much bigger ones although I don't use nearly as much liquid as that recipe recommends.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056106123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Getting back to these squash, how long do they take in the slow cooker, please? I have a bunch of squashes - a couple of butternuts, and several fancy-dancy ones bought in The Lotts Company so I could watch them gradually change colour for a couple of months as a 'flower arrangement' in a bowl. Time to cook them now. One I'm a bit doubtful about, it's more gourdy than squashy; the others are deffo ready for deliciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Chuchote wrote: »
    Getting back to these squash, how long do they take in the slow cooker, please? I have a bunch of squashes - a couple of butternuts, and several fancy-dancy ones bought in The Lotts Company so I could watch them gradually change colour for a couple of months as a 'flower arrangement' in a bowl. Time to cook them now. One I'm a bit doubtful about, it's more gourdy than squashy; the others are deffo ready for deliciousness.

I did a full fairly large butternut squash in the slow cooker yesterday. Just put the whole thing in there (no liquid) unpeeled. It was ready after about 2 hours. Peel came off easy and just cut and scraped off the seeds. I'm just lazy about peeling and chopping them raw and this was a Lidl .49 cent one, yours are more fancy so you might want a better method!

No, that sounds fine! I just like to have my squash and eat them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Chuchote wrote: »
    No, that sounds fine! I just like to have my squash and eat them too!

Don't we all :D. I would line with foil next time, personally, although there wasn't much cleaning but the foil keeps it spotless.

Spuds comes out great too, unpeeled tossed in olive oil, salt and then wrapped in foil, line sc with foil.

Appearently Maillard reaction when starches cooked in absence of liquid is optimised in slow cooker and gives a lovely flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I did a full fairly large butternut squash in the slow cooker yesterday. Just put the whole thing in there (no liquid) unpeeled. It was ready after about 2 hours. Peel came off easy and just cut and scraped off the seeds. I'm just lazy about peeling and chopping them raw and this was a Lidl .49 cent one, yours are more fancy so you might want a better method!

You got it. My wrists cannot cope with cutting hard things so this works great for me; saw a photo online and it felt very strange at first. Works with sweet potatoes too and with them the peel just slithers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Anyone any tips for cleaning the insides of a slow cooker?

The actual metal part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hi all.

I'm buying a slow cooker tonight. Going to do a whole chicken in it tomorrow, leaving it on whilst I'm at work.
    The cats will be happy :)

Have a question for you - I'm going to do a joint of beef in it over the weekend; what type of cut should I use?
    I've read it's nice to just put it in with some veggies at the bottom and a cup of water and then just leave on low for 8 hours.
    What cut would you use for this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Brisket!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Brisket!

Where would usually get brisket, in your local butchers? I can never seem to get it anywhere. Dunnes/Tesco etc. never have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Betsy you'll need to brown thr chicken in a very hot oven for a few mins when it is finished. It is very anaemic looking otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just to mention the Guardian/Observer has a series of one pot recipes running right now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/25/20-best-one-pot-recipes-part-3-risotto-stew-margot-henderson-nigel-slater

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Just to mention the Guardian/Observer has a series of one pot recipes running right now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/25/20-best-one-pot-recipes-part-3-risotto-stew-margot-henderson-nigel-slater

Good spot. As usual though, posh chefs don't like to talk about slow cookers :(

This post has links to all four parts and a list of the recipes in each part.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Betsy you'll need to brown thr chicken in a very hot oven for a few mins when it is finished. It is very anaemic looking otherwise!

It's only for me and the cats haha, we don't mind!
    I'll remember your tip for the future though, thanks :)

The beef was a success, a little dry but that's my fault as it was quite a lean cut.

Now I have a pot of juices - I've drained out the lumps of veg, can I just freeze the remaining liquid now to use as stock? Or any other recommendations?

I use it as the liquid for my stew and I then usually freeze the stew if I don't fancy two beefy meals in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I have been looking at the list but does anyone have a good/favorite 'one pot' recipe which does not require adding stuff during the cooking process? I have bought a slow cooker with a starter timer and would like to be able to put stuff in in the morning, then have it start while I am at work and come home to it being more or less ready. It would really help take the hassle out of our hectic evenings at the moment with 2 small kids and a kitchen renovation looming where we wont have as much space to prepare a lot. - or am I expecting too much from it?

Thanks for any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I have been looking at the list but does anyone have a good/favorite 'one pot' recipe which does not require adding stuff during the cooking process? I have bought a slow cooker with a starter timer and would like to be able to put stuff in in the morning, then have it start while I am at work and come home to it being more or less ready. It would really help take the hassle out of our hectic evenings at the moment with 2 small kids and a kitchen renovation looming where we wont have as much space to prepare a lot. - or am I expecting too much from it?

Thanks for any info!

Anything I make I just throw everything in at that start, Mexican type stews, Irish stews, pulled chicken/pulled pork, I don't think I've ever made anything that required me to add stuff during the cooking process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks - I must have been just unlucky with the recipes I read so far - was beginning to think I had made a mistake buying it! I will keep reading so..

Thanks - I must have been just unlucky with the recipes I read so far - was beginning to think I had made a mistake buying it! I will keep reading so..

I don't use the slow cooker much, but discovered early on that when I do use it, I should always use it on 'high'. But that may just be the brand I bought.

• Advertisement

Please don't scold or scorn but this is honestly the easiest and IMO tastiest stew recipe EVER ....

Brown your stewing steak, throw in a few chunky carrots, quarter the whole onions, peeled whole baby potatoes, whole mushrooms and a packet of oxtail soup with maybe pint and quarter of water (just make sure its less than whatever the packet advises as slowcookers don't evaporate off excess water) 6/7 hours on low
    It may not be the healthiest thing in the world but its delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

heldel00 wrote: »
    Please don't scold or scorn but this is honestly the easiest and IMO tastiest stew recipe EVER ....

Brown your stewing steak, throw in a few chunky carrots, quarter the whole onions, peeled whole baby potatoes, whole mushrooms and a packet of oxtail soup with maybe pint and quarter of water (just make sure its less than whatever the packet advises as slowcookers don't evaporate off excess water) 6/7 hours on low
    It may not be the healthiest thing in the world but its delish.

Why peel the baby potatoes if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds lovely but I couldn't use the oxtail soup myself, I think I'd prefer a mild beef stock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oxtail soup in a stew is mighty stuff. Haven't done it in a while myself but if we get a bit of bad weather I might give it a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thanks for any info!
    I'd generally brown meats before starting, just as personal preference for the end result*, but apart from that it's all in at the start. Some receipes would suggest adding pasta or rice an hour before the end, but I've always found it handier to just cook them if needed (would generally go for bread with stews though).

Would you use the timer, or just put it on low for the day? Our one has an "auto" setting that does it high for so long, and then switches it to low.

Just on the excess liquid - you can also add lentils or a broth mix to thicken them up (but takes a bit of experimentation to get the quantity right). Gravy granules stirred in right at the very end (for the last few minutes whilst you are setting the table) also work for thickening up in my experience.

*can also reduce the amount of fat. If we're doing meatballs in it, I'd night before put them in the oven for 10 minutes and a lot of the fat comes out.

rawn wrote: »
    Why peel the baby potatoes if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds lovely but I couldn't use the oxtail soup myself, I think I'd prefer a mild beef stock :D

Cos the husband is a fussy fecker. No other reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Does anyone have a nice recipe for a housekeepers cut of beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

padraig.od wrote: »
    Does anyone have a nice recipe for a housekeepers cut of beef?

Lob it into the slow cooker with sliced garlic, ginger, a beef stock cube and a glass of red wine and leave it for 6-7 hours on low..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Loire wrote: »
    Lob it into the slow cooker with sliced garlic, ginger, a beef stock cube and a glass of red wine and leave it for 6-7 hours on low..:cool:

Sounds good, thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Loire wrote: »

Do you add any water at the bottom? Or do you just layer the cut with the above?

Just wondering as I did lamb on the bone a few times. With just wine it wasnt enough and it dried up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Do you add any water at the bottom? Or do you just layer the cut with the above?

Just wondering as I did lamb on the bone a few times. With just wine it wasnt enough and it dried up a bit.

Usually it's just a glass of wine for me. Maybe check it after a few hours.

Advertisement