Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden Moths 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

V_Moth wrote: »
    Could the third one be a Garden Carpet by any chance?
    Yes, I think you are right. There were 2 other Garden Carpet that night but saw some silver-ground pics today somewhere that looked quite similar and got me rethinking. However silver-ground doesn't seem to have as equally dark a band on wings near the base (shoulders) as this example does. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

19 species last night including my first Lesser Broad-bordered Underwings of the season. Found this Carcina quercana on the sitting room carpet:

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13630

And this on the side of the shed, I think the alternata variant of Common Carpet?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13629

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

And this on the side of the shed, I think the alternata variant of Common Carpet?

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13629

This is an odd one all right. Could it be a Marbled Carpet? The closest picture I could find online that resembles this are the two moths on the top row of this collage:

http://www.irishmoths.net/images/moths/m-1764a4.jpg

Hmmmm. My wife is in favour of Common Marbled Carpet too. I shall wait for MM's opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

thebishop wrote: »
    The Campion x 1 (Might be Lychnis:confused:)
    It is campion. Lychnis never has a purple hue which is obvious in Fresh Campion and can just be seen in this one.
    littlebug wrote: »
    2 micros I'm having trouble with.
    The plain one is quite worn. I think 1111 Bactra lancealana is likely.
    The black & white one is 1197 Eucosma campoliliana
    1708 Single-dotted Wave x1
    1794 Sharp-angled Carpet x1
    Also, from a night early July a Silver-ground Carpet?

Here was the Large Yellow Underwing pic from last week I deleted ... followed by what I have convinced myself to be the same species from last night, orangey underwing when fluttering and the forewing 25mm giving me some confidence :)...famous last words...!!
    V_Moth is right with Garden Carpet:)
    ps actually wing folding right over left also matches the guide book - can that be used as identification characteristic? Thanks.
    No! :) The same moth can fold them either way.
    This is an odd one all right. Could it be a Marbled Carpet? The closest picture I could find online that resembles this are the two moths on the top row of this collage:

http://www.irishmoths.net/images/moths/m-1764a4.jpg
    Hmmmm. My wife is in favour of Common Marbled Carpet too. I shall wait for MM's opinion!
    Way off the money. Size hasn't been mentioned, but if it was small, like smaller than a usual Marbled Carpet, then it is Barred Rivulet. If it was too large for this, then its back to drawing board.

Speaking of Marbled carpet, it is now the season of Dark Marbled carpet. Look up guide book to separate DMC and CMC. Some CMC can look like DMC by upper wing markings!

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Size hasn't been mentioned, but if it was small, like smaller than a usual Marbled Carpet, then it is Barred Rivulet. If it was too large for this, then its back to drawing board.

It was quite small, maybe FW 10-12mm

Way off the money. Size hasn't been mentioned, but if it was small, like smaller than a usual Marbled Carpet, then it is Barred Rivulet. If it was too large for this, then its back to drawing board.

Speaking of Marbled carpet, it is now the season of Dark Marbled carpet. Look up guide book to separate DMC and CMC. Some CMC can look like DMC by upper wing markings!

Looking at HC's picture, I knew there were a couple of features that didn't quite match for Marbled Carpet or Garden Carpet (eg the three dark brown cross lines half way along the wing), but despite looking through the field guide several times, I didn't consider Barred Rivulet.

Looking at it now it's a feeling of "Oh, well of course".

Last nights catch in the garden:

-Lesser BBYU (1)
    -Mottled Beauty (3)
    -Large Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Common Rustic agg (1)
    -Dun-bar (1)

Looking at it now it's a feeling of "Oh, well of course".

Me too. Must look more carefully and not get distracted by colour. My one was quite brown compared to the field guide illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

There were a few Moths about on Friday night despite the full Moon and thunder showers.Even managed to hold onto a few micros.
    Poplar Hawk-moth x 2
    Little Emerald x 2
    Spectacle x 1
    Small Phoenix x 1
    Large Yellow-underwing x 3
    Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow-underwing x 2
    Uncertain x 1
    Common Rustic x 1
    Light Brown Apple moth x 1
    Canary- Shuldered Thorn x 1
    Campion x 2
    Willow Beauty x 1
    Epagoge Grotiana x 1
    Celypha Lacunana x 1
    Pleurota Bicostella x 1.

Help! Can't ID this one, FW about 14mm.

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13673

• Advertisement

Help! Can't ID this one, FW about 14mm.
    Shaded Broad-bar

Shaded Broad-bar

I should have known that, have a photo of one from last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:( Would have been my first Buff Arches. I need to get out of bed earlier.

4A169BB3D2CD4AFDBB012D8CBAC86573-0000331913-0002965492-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

4A169BB3D2CD4AFDBB012D8CBAC86573-0000331913-0002965492-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

I'll bet either a Wren or a Robin, they seem to be experts at latching on to moth traps.

I would log it.

I record wing fragments from bat roosts.

I'll bet either a Wren or a Robin, they seem to be experts at latching on to moth traps.

"Who me?"

009D721030414DAA897EC8C8BE9D1FC5-0000331913-0002965696-00500L-BDC788E1A80648D9BA835DC7A88947DB.jpg

The culprit! I was out earlier this morning so no mothless wings lying around but he/ she found me anyway and hung around, getting as close as 1 metre away, waiting for moths to fly (and quite a few did) and taking note of my hiding places! Island Robins are very brazen!
    I have 3 nights of moth trapping notes and 200+ photos from here to sift through with lots of micros and pugs so it's going to take a while! In the meantime here's one that I really want to be 1511 Merrifieldia Tridactyla but wanting won't make it so and I don't know if it can be differentiated from 1510 Merrifieldia Leucodactyla.

508B88C699F449E8A9AF10058CD3A201-0000331913-0002965695-00500L-DFC73B28C05F4FB080E40AEF15F4A816.jpg

I opened my skinner trap one morning and a Wren came zooming out of it! Scared the daylights out of me.

Moths from the ECNR last night:

-Drinker (8)
    -Lesser Swallow Prominent (2)
    -Yellow-tail (2)
    -Lesser BBYU (3)
    -Poplar Hawkmoth (1)
    -Smoky Wainscot (4)
    -Barred Red (1)
    -Common Rust (4)
    -July Highflyer (1)
    -Common Footman (4)
    -Burnished Brass (1)
    -Small Magpie (1)
    -Small Phoenix (1)
    -Yponomeuta spec (1)
    -Miller (1)
    -Small FF Wave (1)
    -Straw Dot (1)
    -Ypsolopha dentella (1 / To be confirmed)

A good night with 18 or 19 species. The Miller was a lifer and I have never trapped as many Drinkers before.

Plenty of Butterflies and Dragonflies on the reserve this morning: Small White, Large White, GV White, Meadow Brown, Peacock, Common & Holly Blue, Speckled Wood / Emperor Dragonfly (2 +2 in tandem), Common Hawker, Common & Ruddy Darters, Blue-tailed Damsel, Azure Bluet.

Notable birds: Crossbill (sev heard), Curlew, Buzzard (1), Sparrowhawk.

27 species last night, all the usual suspects. 13.9 deg C.

Is this an Ear Moth? FW 16mm.

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13680

Also, is this a Common Wave or a very faded Riband Wave? FW 15mm. This is the actual colour, not an overexposed shot.

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13681

I am pretty sure the first is an Ear Moth agg. , but I think the second one may be a Common White Wave. The lower crossbands look too straight for Ribiand Wave to me.

Last night in the garden:

-Large Yellow Underwing (2)
    -Lesser Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Mottled Beauty (2)
    -Dark Spectacle (1)
    -Common/Smoky Wainscot (1)
    -Scalloped Oak (1)

The Dark Spectacle is new for the site and my first since 2010. Also some additions and corrections from yesterdays ECNR moths:

-White-line Dart (1?)
    -July Highflyer (2 - not 1)

[Some photos from yesterday added to the Recent Photos thread]

216576.JPG

216577.JPG

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure the first is an Ear Moth agg. , but I think the second one may be a Common White Wave. The lower crossbands look too straight for Ribiand Wave to me.
    Spot on
    Last night in the garden:

-Lesser Yellow Underwing (1)
    -Mottled Beauty (2)
    -Dark Spectacle (1)
    -Common/Smoky Wainscot (1)
    -Scalloped Oak (1)
    I'm only getting Smoky at moment with the odd Southern thrown in though Common Wainscot can turn up throughout the Summer.

Spot on

I'm only getting Smoky at moment with the odd Southern thrown in though Common Wainscot can turn up throughout the Summer.

Thanks. I checked it again later and it turned out to be a Smoky. Didn't realise Southern occurred in Wicklow - will have to check the Wainscots in the ECNR more carefully.

In the garden this morning:

-Riband Wave (3)
    -Lesser BBYU (1)
    -Common Rustic agg (1)
    -The Uncertain (1)
    -Mottled Beauty (1)
    -Blastobasis spec (4)*

Highest count of Riband Wave for the site. *Probably Blastobasis adustella.

Just revisiting some of my records of Wainscots and would like opinions on the pic below. I had it down as Common but looking again at flight seasons and the posts above, I'm wondering if it is Smokey? Trapped regularly between 13th July and 10th August.

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=13685

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Lots of Moths about on Friday night,not alot of species. Temp was still 20c at 3am.
    True Lovers Knot x 6
    Spectacle x 3
    Flame Shoulder x 14
    Straw Dot x 1
    Smoky Wainscot x 2
    Small Fan-footed Wave x 1
    Snout x 1
    Magpie x 1
    Flame Carpet x 2
    Dark Arches x 2
    Burnished Brass x 3
    Uncertain x 1
    Light Brown-apple Moth x 9
    Brown House Moth x 1
    Scoparia Ambigualis x 1
    Large Yellow Underwing x 12
    Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x 39
    Lesser Yellow Underwing x 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Newbie on this thread, love moths but only discovering this corner of Boards for the first time:)

This little guy came in last night, looked him up and found out he's a magpie moth which seems common enough but neither of us had ever seen one, he's beautiful:)

magpie.png

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

A Brimstone Moth I think..

BrimstoneMoth.jpg

A Sharp-angeled Carpet I think..

Sharp-angledCarpetMoth.jpg

V Bull wrote: »
    A Brimstone Moth I think..

A Sharp-angeled Carpet I think..

Yes on both counts. In the garden this morning:

-Large Yellow Underwing (7)
    -Common Rustic (1)
    -Square-spot Rustic (1)
    -Heart and Dart (1)
    -Blastobasis adustella (3)
    -Carcina quercana (1)
    -Hawkmoth spec. (1)

The Carcina was new for the site, while the Square-spot is new for 2012. Also, the first Hawkmoth for the garden, seen at dusk last night buzzing around. From what little I saw of it, I suspect it may have been a Hyles species, but wouldn't be 100% sure.

I saw a Deaths Head Hawk Moth yesterday... pinned ;) They're HUGE!!!:eek: It would be some shock to find one in the trap. Anyone ever seen a live one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Mothman, or anyone else for that matter.

last night i happened across a moth, fairly normal one, maybe 3/4 of an inch long, mostly brown wings with a design on it.

but it had some amber/orange on its abdomen.

i only saw this when it was walking along flapping its wings as they do. not sure was it all orange or parts or stripes or whatever.

i tried to do a google search but didnt see anything similar.

anyone shed any light on it?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a Yellow Underwing of some sort - going by size I'd guess Lesser Yellow Underwing.

Advertisement