Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rotterdam Marathon 2012 - 15/04/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

corny wrote: »
    I've had to admit defeat and abandon plans for the marathon. Injured knee was just getting worse even with limited training. Desperately disappointed but in a strange way its a weight off not worrying about missing runs or running low mileage.

Anyway i'm all booked up so does anybody know if they'll exchange my marathon entry for a 10k entry?

Sorry to hear corny. You'd be better off to mail the organisers, they seem to be good for that. You might be able to use this years entry for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

corny wrote: »
    I've had to admit defeat and abandon plans for the marathon. Injured knee was just getting worse even with limited training. Desperately disappointed but in a strange way its a weight off not worrying about missing runs or running low mileage.

Anyway i'm all booked up so does anybody know if they'll exchange my marathon entry for a 10k entry?

You have until tomorrow to organize a refund minus €5.
    If, for the element ‘marathon’ only, the Participant is unable to take part in the Event, the entry fee paid
    including other payments will only be refunded, after a deduction of € 5.- administration fee, if the Organiser
    has been advised at least two months before the Event. After this period no refund will take place of entry fee
    and other payments. No refund of entry fee or other payments will be made in case the Participant is unable
    to take part in any other element other than the ‘marathon’. Changing from the element for which one has
    registered to another will also result in the entry fee and other payments not being refunde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You have until tomorrow to organize a refund minus €5.

Funny they neglected to mention that when i mailed them earlier.:) They said i could just transfer from one race to the other without charge. A refund and standard 10K entry saves me 20 odd euro! Thanks BeepBeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

If its any consolation I'm sitting here with ice on my knee and have been grimacing with pain for the past 48 hours - not sure if it's my pes anserine tendon acting up again or something more sinister - may head for an MRI but deffo at least a week off running - to be discussed with my physio. Can't seem to get the words Stress Fracture out of my mind.

Missing a few days now is not the end of the world I suppose so rest hard and come back stronger.
    I managed to get my hand on gel 4 times stronger than difene 3 days into it and alot of icing and elevation and stretching i recon i will be back on track the weekend,can you not get your hands on some difene tablets to get the swelling down?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

kandikane wrote: »
    I managed to get my hand on gel 4 times stronger than difene 3 days into it and alot of icing and elevation and stretching i recon i will be back on track the weekend,can you not get your hands on some difene tablets to get the swelling down?

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I always have a difene supply in reserve but I keep them in case kidney stones hit me again - that's real pain!

Went for an MRI this morning - haven't seen the report yet but my physio called this afternoon after he read it. No stress fracture it appears but there are signs of some stress reaction on the tibia along with the usual swelling around the area. He reckons 10 days or so off running and should be ok and maybe leave the speed sessions out for a couple of weeks after that. I'm in with him on Friday morning for a proper plan of action. Pain has subsided a lot and feel much better today.

This week is a "recovery week" in the P&D schedule in any event!

Just gonna go by feel for the next 3 or 4 weeks and decide on participation/adjust goals maybe 4 weeks out.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I always have a difene supply in reserve but I keep them in case kidney stones hit me again - that's real pain!

Went for an MRI this morning - haven't seen the report yet but my physio called this afternoon after he read it. No stress fracture it appears but there are signs of some stress reaction on the tibia along with the usual swelling around the area. He reckons 10 days or so off running and should be ok and maybe leave the speed sessions out for a couple of weeks after that. I'm in with him on Friday morning for a proper plan of action. Pain has subsided a lot and feel much better today.

This week is a "recovery week" in the P&D schedule in any event!

Just gonna go by feel for the next 3 or 4 weeks and decide on participation/adjust goals maybe 4 weeks out.

I think im doing the same P&D program as you on my dropback week myself im doing a private marathon in portumna next saturday as a long slow run, so i will not be dropping back on my long run next weekend looking forward to it should be a good chance to catch up with the marathin club ireland crowd:D

Great weekend of training for rotterdam 26.2 mile run in portumna forest in 3h.54min and 13 miles 2 days before so all seems to be on track fingers crossed ))

Looks like I'm back in the frame for this after 4 solid weeks post injury.
    More importantly who's hanging around for a few beers on the Sunday night?

****ed up my ankle in the portumna marathon and have not recovered in enough time to go for my time,does anyone know if i can put my entry back till next year instead of wasting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

Well, the flights are booked, hotel in Rotterdam on Saturday night and Amsterdam on Sunday night booked, race confirmation sitting on the hall table... all I'm missing is my planned 20 mile run!! Had hoped to do it this week but I've a sore knee after Dungarvan10 on Monday. It's getting better every day but I'm not going to chance a long run this week, hopefully I'll get it done next week but any later than that I think it might be too close to the event. I've done 17.5 miles and found it tough, getting nervous about my chances of finishing my first marathon ..... :confused:

Meant Mallow10, not Dungarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

From Rotterdam website:
    The top Ethiopians Getu Feleke and Yemane Adhane (Eth), the Moroccan Rashid Kisri and 'CPC' winner Stephen Kibet (Ken) have been attracted to make an important contribution to the planned attack on the world record of Kenyan Patrick Makau (2.03.38).

Feleke (personal record: 2.05.16) and Adhane (2.06.29) are in great shape and want to surpass themselves in Rotterdam so that the Ethiopian athletics federation will send them to the Olympic Games in London. Their target is compatriot Ayele Abshero, last year fourth in the ABN AMRO CPC Run The Hague, who won the Dubai marathon, in January, in 2.04.23.

Feleke and Adhana, just like Kisri (2.06.28) and Kibet (2.09.27), are expected, under ideal conditions, to run a time of 2.04. A sensational surprise is also not excluded.

"We will see many athletes who run in Rotterdam back again in the summer during the Olympic Games," says marathon director Mario Kadiks. "For the athletes on the Coolsingel it is not only about achieving an excellent rating, a top time has even greater value for them because they can thereby secure a qualification for 'London'." Kadiks will soon announce the names of even more top runners.

Moses Mosop is taking the attempt to break the world record so seriously that he thoroughly explored the course with a note book in hand on 5 March in Rotterdam. The Kenyan enthusiastically came to the conclusion that, under ideal weather conditions, an unprecedented time of 02.03.10 must be possible. "I have never seen such a fast track," said Mosop praising the track. Even his coach, Renato Canova, predicts the probability of a world record is high.

Last April Mosop finished second in the Boston Marathon in 02.03.06. He was only four seconds slower than compatriot Geoffrey Mutai. His time could not be recognised as a world record because the course in Boston does not meet all the conditions of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). For example the difference in elevation between start and finish is too big. The course in Rotterdam is not only fast, it is also certified by the IAAF. This was why Mosop chose Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

kandikane wrote: »
    ****ed up my ankle in the portumna marathon and have not recovered in enough time to go for my time,does anyone know if i can put my entry back till next year instead of wasting it?

Ken did you get this sorted out? I won't be able to run myself, hurt my ankel two weeks ago. Not waisting the flights and accomodation though, will go on the beer instead, and hopefully witness the world record being broken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Ken did you get this sorted out? I won't be able to run myself, hurt my ankel two weeks ago. Not waisting the flights and accomodation though, will go on the beer instead, and hopefully witness the world record being broken.

Closing date to cancel your entry was in February. I got money back for mine.

You can transfer your entry to someone else at the expo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Will this be on Eurosport or anything per chance?? :)

heffsarmy wrote: »
    hi dave ah im not gonna waste the best part of 500 euro o a weekend away on the piss have to many stags and weddings on soon id love to be heading on the piss with ya (( i will call ya and you can fill me in :D

Closing date to cancel your entry was in February. I got money back for mine.

You can transfer your entry to someone else at the expo though.
    thanks for the heads up but sure my injury was not till after the time of getting some money back ((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

2 weeks and 6 days to go. Who is still standing? I've just one more big tempo and an 18 miler left and then it's pretty much easy street.

After over 3 weeks missed training I cancelled the hotel and redirected family flights to a summer holiday. I'm now on a schedule with Cork as my goal race.

However, after a confidence boosting 18 miler over the weekend I've decided to maybe give it a lash albeit with a lesser target. Booked a hotel today but gonna wait until this weekend before booking flights.

This thread has been pure poison for injury problems but that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Found this video on youtube today which shows the 2006 course. Not sure if it's changed much or at all since then but worth a look all the same.

asimonov wrote: »
    2 weeks and 6 days to go. Who is still standing? I've just one more big tempo and an 18 miler left and then it's pretty much easy street.

Myself and the missus still ready to go. Last 20 miler under the belt yesterday. Taper time from here on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

Got 20 miles done yesterday too, big relief. Heading for my first marathon and I was getting really worried that I was running out of time. Four of us are flying from Cork to Amsterdam early on Sat 14th and getting the train to Rotterdam. From what I can see there's a train about every 30mins from Schipol to Rotterdam for €13.20. Anyone else planning doing this?

zinzan1 wrote: »
    Got 20 miles done yesterday too, big relief. Heading for my first marathon and I was getting really worried that I was running out of time. Four of us are flying from Cork to Amsterdam early on Sat 14th and getting the train to Rotterdam. From what I can see there's a train about every 30mins from Schipol to Rotterdam for €13.20. Anyone else planning doing this?

Yes, getting the early flight from Dublin and getting the train to Rotterdam like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CunningStunts

zinzan1 wrote: »

I've been over there before and if you're getting the train to Rotterdam make sure you get the fyra train as it's direct and eliminates all the stops and is only minimally more expensive (€2 or so).

It's actually quicker to miss the normal train and wait for a fyra one. I think they depart every 30 minutes from Schipol to Rotterdam Central.

Ok this time 2 weeks it'll be all over bar the John Wayne walk. Had a lite week due to work travel, so knocked out a solid 16M this morning with 2 x 4 @ PMP, looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Don't worry BB, even with your travel I had a worser week than you - somewhere along the way I seem to have picked up consumption or something coughie like that. Am taking village runner style doses of antibiotics but have decided to run through it this week. Worryingly, I still have no idea of realistic target time.

Just realized I had provisionally booked another hotel for Rotterdam:
    Grand Hotel Central close to the start line.
    Kruiskade 12
    3012 EH Rotterdam
    If anyone is looking for one let me know, it's booked for 2 nights Sat and Sun for €191. I'll let it slide Friday AM otherwise.

Settle for that!
    7044238117_3d410c1a19_z.jpg

Starting Pens - I'm confirmed for C
    306203_418927914799749_253865484639327_1571798_1532942669_n.jpg

That's a funny setup - I'm in Pen D (3:00 to 3:30). So I'll have to weave through the relay runners and the business run runners out for the laugh - then I'll have to merge with those in Pen E that are targeting a slower time.

Don't mind too much because this is no longer my goal race and I'm out to enjoy it but I'd be well on edge worrying about lost minutes otherwise.

Pen C - that's cool, you'll be rubbing shoulders with what will be the new world record holder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

That's a funny setup - I'm in Pen D (3:00 to 3:30). So I'll have to weave through the relay runners and the business run runners out for the laugh - then I'll have to merge with those in Pen E that are targeting a slower time.

Don't mind too much because this is no longer my goal race and I'm out to enjoy it but I'd be well on edge worrying about lost minutes otherwise.

Pen C - that's cool, you'll be rubbing shoulders with what will be the new world record holder!

Paulie, those relay fellas are a bunch of muppets. No way should they be ahead of 3 hr runners. Last year myself and Kentucky Pete pushed up past em just before gun went. With about a minute or two to go start edging in and around them. Good luck.

Advertisement