Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL In Game Rules & Forum Charter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will do, just want to clarify one thing.

Are we going to be recreating the time left in the game?

No, recreate the scoreline and play from there. I did this once before where we recreated the time and it's the most boring 30 minutes of your life. Kneel, Kneel, Kneel, Punt. And so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i agree with that Santry, ok the OP is updated

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭daflood

There is a discussion going on in the Bowl thread, about whether there should be a min number of passes required in a game.

I would like to pipe up and say that running every single play should not be a problem, unless the same plays are being run constantly. Madden is not perfect, so sometimes a combination of a good o-lineman and an average D-lineman can result in the exact same perfect gap being there every time.

A draw and a screen are examples where Madden has it wrong, because even long after the back gets the ball, nobody on the D reacts except the human controlled player.

If a min pass limit was to be brought in, I think it would need to be a min number of passes to WR or TE.

ie: Screens and short handoffs to a back do not form part if the required amount.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I do not think a player should be required to pass whatsoever in the same way a player should not forced to run if they have Rodgers and 5 WRs rated at 99.

Up to the player what they want to do IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Even if the league were to tackle the Raiders style of play, we would end up using the same passing plays all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

i think play calling shouldnt be regulated. I ran every single play against the dolphins. why pass if there isnt a need?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

moderating number of run and pass plays or percentage of run to pass plays makes it more unrealistic in my opinion. if you can run the ball and gain 3-4 yards a run keep doing it i remember the chargers doing it back when lt was the man.
    in my opinion if the other team cant stop the run or pass its on them to improve it via trade or draft.
    having said that if a team is running the same exact play i see an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

If someone can use the same play every time and gets 3/4 yards and work their way up the field then fair play to them. If they can then it says you need to work on your defence. There are no magic runs in the game that guarantee 3/4 yards every time. Every single play run or pass can be defended.

I always say you learn more in any defeat that you do in victory. A lot of this game involves experience, by that I mean playing loads of games. The more you play, the more you see, the more you learn how to play better defence and stop certain things. If I come up against something I can't stop, when I get a chance I go to the practice field and figure out how for the next time. There are no plays that always work. I could not highlight enough how valuable time spent in practice mode is.

Matthew in your post you seem to be suggesting that people are having problems with the Raiders style of play???? I know I played the Raiders, the score was 41-3 so I had no problem with their style of play. I actually remember that game, I remember their particular style of offence, I was just fortunate I knew how to defend what they were trying to do. Thats what its all about really.

Berty44 wrote: »
    If someone can use the same play every time and gets 3/4 yards and work their way up the field then fair play to them. If they can then it says you need to work on your defence. There are no magic runs in the game that guarantee 3/4 yards every time. Every single play run or pass can be defended.

I always say you learn more in any defeat that you do in victory. A lot of this game involves experience, by that I mean playing loads of games. The more you play, the more you see, the more you learn how to play better defence and stop certain things. If I come up against something I can't stop, when I get a chance I go to the practice field and figure out how for the next time. There are no plays that always work. I could not highlight enough how valuable time spent in practice mode is.

Matthew in your post you seem to be suggesting that people are having problems with the Raiders style of play???? I know I played the Raiders, the score was 41-3 so I had no problem with their style of play. I actually remember that game, I remember their particular style of offence, I was just fortunate I knew how to defend what they were trying to do. Thats what its all about really.

i agree with this i think there are one or two defensive plays that are wayyy op ie. moving a lb to the outside on certain plays but i think there banned anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Berty44 wrote: »

I'm suggesting the league doesn't like the Raiders and has it in for us.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'm suggesting the league doesn't like the Raiders and has it in for us.

al davis lives on through you sir :)

nerd69 wrote: »
    i agree with this i think there are one or two defensive plays that are wayyy op ie. moving a lb to the outside on certain plays but i think there banned anyway

moving LBs are fine, moving DEs from the line of scrimmage manually isnt allowed.
    However if you audible and they move thats ok

From what I remember to stop the Raiders I was using a very basic defence and did not have to make any manual adjustments.

Nice motivation Matthew, the persecution complex lol !!!

You are correct Heli, moving anyone off the DL is not allowed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think people should milk the same play over and over. Obviously I have no problems running the ball 40 times per game, but I'll use different plays.

I can understand people getting frustrated when the offense keeps running the same play, but the solution is to figure out a defense to stop it.

In madden 11 Raoul beat me by runnng to the outside constantly, his FB blocking my defender and him gaining 10 yards + every play, needless to say i've since figured out how to stop that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

When can we sign free agents again?

Don't think there is any resrtiction on picking up a free agent as long as your squad keeps with 56 players. Not 100% certain on this though.

i might be wrong but i think i read somewhere that if you pick up a free agent you have to hold on to him for the year to prevent people signing everyone looking for some a potential

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

That is for right after the draft. There is a rush for fa's so it is to stop people from taking everyone and deciding after if they like them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PacFish

Read and understood

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hey lads so what's the rule with screen plays? Was playing a game were a player dropped back at least 15 yards. I mean it was ridiculous I was so close to rage quit and went on tilt for rest of half. He did the same thing in second half but didn't score from that one.

Is there a rule here or not cause I've been running to side on screen play to allow it develop but if I'm allowed to drop 15-20 yards feck it I'm doin that.

• Advertisement

gufc21 wrote: »
    Hey lads so what's the rule with screen plays? Was playing a game were a player dropped back at least 15 yards. I mean it was ridiculous I was so close to rage quit and went on tilt for rest of half. He did the same thing in second half but didn't score from that one.

Is there a rule here or not cause I've been running to side on screen play to allow it develop but if I'm allowed to drop 15-20 yards feck it I'm doin that.

On Screen plays, it is designed for the QB to drop back 10-15 yards. This is so the pass rush chases him and he can then dump it off to the half back to turn it up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Good aul screen plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Its one of the only plays where you are allowed to drop back further than what the normal QB step is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Fair enough now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

gufc21 wrote: »
    Fair enough now I know.
    I normally step to the side aswell!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, but there should still be a realistic limit, 10 yards should be plenty if you are under centre and 5 if you are in the shotgun.

Dropping back 20 yards is not just not realistic or acceptable on any play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Well my understanding of the rule was the cpu drops you back the required amount,after that you shoudln't be moving your qb any further back

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Well my understanding of the rule was the cpu drops you back the required amount,after that you shoudln't be moving your qb any further back

That is correct except the CPU doesn't drop back your player for you when you are doing screen passes.

• Advertisement

Thats still only 5 yard drop from shotgun, which I think is fine, 20 yards is not.

Advertisement