Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Of The Week

• 26-08-2005 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

Greetings fellow drinkers!

Welcome to the Drink Of The Week thread. Hopefully this will grow into one of those obnoxiously long many-pagers that requires occasional pruning but goes on for aeons - sort of like a bonsai thread.

The Sticky

Basically, this thread is hyperlinked from the Drink of the Week sticky. The sticky will have the drink of the week, ingredients, price ranges, where to get it and how to make it (if applicable).

This thread is for all the stuff I don't want in the sticky - the suggestions, arguments, feedback on the previous week's drink, so on and so forth. Every sunday evening the sticky will be updated with the coming week's drink information.

How to nominate a drink

As an exercise in democracy :eek: I have an experimental process outlined below for choosing a Drink Of The Week.
    1. Nominate a drink. Post on this thread with NOMINATION in large bold letters at the top of your post. List your reasons for wanting it to be drink of the week. You must describe it, lay out ingredients if applicable, say where it can be bought, price it etc.
    2. In order for your drink of the week to be chosen, it needs to get three supporting votes from people who are interested in trying it and providing feedback on it.
    3. The first nominated drink in any given week to receive three supporting votes will be the DOTW for the following week.
    4. Anyone who casts a supporting vote for a DOTW and then doesn't actually bother their behind to try that drink and post feedback on this thread, I'll simply ignore your supporting votes from here on out.

Naturally, this process may go pearshaped and will have to be rethought, but on the basis that everyone on this board really needs to be an adult, I'm interested to see if we can make this work...

So come on - your nominees are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

DRINK OF THE WEEK!

This is the sticky for the Drink of the Week, which will be selected through a process of alleged democracy in this thread. The drink listed here has been nominated and that nomination supported by three users. The purpose of this is to drink the drink, broaden your horizons, excite your tastebuds and try something new.

This sticky will be updated on a Sunday afternoon, so you have the whole week to get whatever the drink is, and the weekend to try it (because it's only well-behaved to not drink on a school night kids).
    • 28th August 2005 - Bombay Sapphire, tonic and lime
    • 4th September 2005 - Glenmorangie 10 year old malt
    • 11th September 2005 - Pear Cider
    • 19th September 2005 - Ale
    • 26th September 2005 - Spiced Rum
    • 3rd October 2005 - Chocolate Stout
    • 10th October 2005 - The Cosmopolitan
    • 17th October 2005 - Long Vodka
    • 24th October 2005 - Caipirhina
    • 31st October 2005 - Bavaria
    • 7th November 2005 - The Pina Colada
    • 14th November 2005 - Bushmills
    • 21st November 2005 - Alka Seltzer
    • 28th November 2005 - The Foamy*
    • 5th December 2005 - Eggnog
    • 12th December 2005 - Mulled Wine
    • 19th December 2005 - The Moist Mike*
    • 26th December 2005 - The Classic Oatmeal Cookie
    • 1st January 2006 - The Vodka Martini
    • 8th January 2006 - Jägermeister
    • 15th January 2006 - Home Brew
    • 22nd January 2006 - Leffe...
    • 29th January 2006 - Guinness
    • 5th February 2006 - Tequila Sunrise
    • 12th February 2006 - Champagne - Veuve Cliquot
    • 19th February 2006 - Crimson Gin

*All drinks marked so are boardster's own recipes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

NOMINATION
    Innis and Gunn. €2.99 from most Off Licences where they have a decent world beers section...
    The first "World beer" I tried in work. Fermented in whiskey barrells for 77 days in Scotland and it has a nice red ale type look about it. It has a kind of honey after taste to it and it's fairly strong (6.6%) but easy to drink

Won the International Beer competition last year so ya know it's gotta be good :)

http://www.innisandgunn.com/ for more information

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

NOMIANTAION - Bubblegum

One of my mates made this up. If you.ve heard of it its from Cork and its ancient. Its rocket fuel:D

Ingredients:

1 Pint Glass of ice
    2 shots of peache schnapps
    2 shots of vodka
    1 Bottle of blackcurrant cordual
    1 Bottle of 7up

Procedure:

- Pint glass of ice
    - 4 shots in
    - 7up in
    - Cordual in (just enough-depens on person)
    - Mix with spoon

Tastes like bubblegum - just need to watch you dont drink more than 2 or 3 as it doesnt take affect for a while!

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

NOMINATION

Bombay Sapphire gin with Schweppes tonic, a dash of lime juice, lots of ice and a slice of lime.

Sublime on a summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Bombay Sapphire gin with Schweppes tonic, a dash of lime juice, lots of ice and a slice of lime.

Sublime on a summers day.

2nd nomination.

Blub edit your post and put nomination at the top.

• Advertisement

mmm, Blub's post edited. I third the Bombay Sapphire nomination. Great drink (this also gives me an excuse to replace the near-empty bottle in my drink's cabinet, something I'd been putting off because I've a perfectly good bottle of Tanqueray gin to get through)...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gemma, I hope you aren't using this to get suggestions for tomorrow night... :)

Bubblegum, awww man!

/me ponders posting the recipe for a 'Moist Mike'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Nomination: Mint Julep

In honour of Hunter S. Thompson's blast off.

2 cups granulated sugar
    2 cups water (branch water is ideal)
    Fresh Mint
    Crushed Ice
    Kentucky Bourbon (2 ounces per serving)

Make a simple mint syrup* by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool. Place in a covered container with 6 or 8 bruised mint sprigs. Refrigerate overnight.
    Make a julep by filling a julep cup* or glass with crushed ice, then adding 1 tablespoon of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost outside of cup or glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig..

*This makes enough syrup for about 44 juleps.

MMMMMMMMMM!

@kaids: tomorrow night will be long island iced teas. By the jug.

They're a bit steep for a drink of the week though. What I'm hoping for is to start off with single drinks, and introduce mixes later in the year when people should have a few bit in their drinks cabinets already, if they've been getting into the *cough* spirit *cough* of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

kaids wrote:
    Gemma, I hope you aren't using this to get suggestions for tomorrow night... :)

Bubblegum, awww man!

/me ponders posting the recipe for a 'Moist Mike'

you cant even remember the ingridents to a 'moist mike'!

i fourth the bombay saphire!

• Advertisement

Yaaay Bombay all the way, I have started an avalanche :D

Thanks for editing the post btw :D

And there we go!! The first drink of the week!! Right Blub2k4, your job now is to post something about Bombay Sapphire so everybody gets edumacated about it, and I'll add your instructions to the DOTW sticky...

And you've to be strict about whether it's to be lime juice or lime cordial etc. etc.

(sorry, didn't I mention there'd be homework?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Jager Bomb
    2 Shots of Jagermeister and lots of red Bull.

A few of these and you'll be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pfft, none of this Jadgerbomb crap.

Drink it properly, half glass of Jadger topped up with a little redbull to taste.

Loads of redbull just masks the wonderfully complex taste of the Jadgermeister. Plus, great drink, no hangover! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stolen from an old mate (he might even spot this):

A Polar Bear:
    Pint Glass with ice. Double Vodka. Two Smirnoff ices. Pour, mix, drink.

I've never drank one of these and I accept no responsibility for loss of vision, money, rational thought, or virginity if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Blisterman wrote:
    Jager Bomb
    2 Shots of Jagermeister and lots of red Bull.

A few of these and you'll be crazy.
    I second this... have them all the time when we're out... nice auld yokes

28th August 2005
    Bombay Sapphire, available in most good off-licences and pubs, but I know that you can definitely get it in Oddbins and the price is as follows although you may be lucky they have an offer on the litre bottles now and again:
    34.99 - 1 litre
    27.99 - 700ml

Ingredients:
    Limes, enough, depending on thirst ;)
    Ice Cubes,
    Bombay Sapphire gin,
    Schweppes Tonic water, let's be honest the other tonics just dont cut the mustard, and if you have gotten this far you want to do it right ;)

Squeeze some limes and put the juice in the fridge, slice some of the other lime and keep the cap ends they are handy.
    Run the cap end of the lime (or a slice of lime) around the rim of the glass.
    Throw about 4 ice cubes into a long glass, pour over this a shot of gin and a small dash of lime juice( about ¼ of a shot) then fill up with tonic water and finsh with a slice of lime.

This is one of the most refreshing drinks there is, careful though it can have a mean streak if you overindulge.

I hope some of you tried out the Bombay Sapphire this weekend, so now the buzz is to drink it all week and report back on it this weekend, what's that you say, how will you see the keyboard to write back, I dunno I didn't make the rules ;) Anyway you're wasting valuable drinking time.....TO WORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'll nominate

Double southern comfort
    1 west coast cooler
    Glass of ice.

I'll call it a west cost comfort :p (i'm a cheesy fúcker)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nomination: Glenmorangie 10yr Scotch
    The first scotch to prove to me that there was such a thing as a good whisky. Until trying this I'd simply adopted my father's "It's the only good whiskey is spelt with an e" attitude.

• Advertisement

Glenmorangie... interesting...

Yep we need nominations to get moving for this Sunday for drink of the week.

I've had my Bombay Sapphire - I've always liked how it looks blue-ish in the glass...

I can see me nominating Glenmorangie as drink of the week for next week if I don't see any other nominations...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

in that case, im going to go with a Sex on the Beach.

Peach Schnapps, Vodka, Orange Juice, and a dash of Cranberry to give it a colour....

all over crushed ice.

4th September 2005
    GLENMORANGIE Ten Years Old is a Single Highland Malt Whisky. Scotch malt whisky is made from malted barley, water and yeast. Glenmorangie 10 year old is produced in limited quantities in the time-honoured fashion by a small band of dedicated craftsman, the Sixteen Men of Tain.

It's pronounced Glen-MORR-an-jee, as opposed to Glen-morr-AN-jee, in otherwords the emphasis is on the 'morr'. (Try getting the 'morran' bit to rhyme with 'sporran'.)

In drinkie-speak, it's described as:"Pale gold in appearance, with a nose of spicy cinnamon & sandalwood. Some flowery sweetness, fresh & enticing. Body is on the light side of medium, but with some viscosity."

Glenmorangie distillery has been producing malt whisky (note: no 'e') since 1843 on the shores of the Dornoch Firth. Upon licensing in 1843 the distillery decided to use second-hand swan-necked stills from a gin distillery, rather than buying new stills. To this this day, the distillery claims the tallest stills in Scotland, at 10ft 16 1/4 inches.

The distillery only ever employs sixteen men. These men work around the clock all year round (barring Christmas) to produce whisky that adheres rigidly to tradition.

A bottle of Glenmorangie 10 year old will set you back £24.49 (STG) from Glenmorangie's own webpage. The www.celticwhiskeyshop.com online have a pricetag of €42.99.

If anyone's got any local irish pricing pass it on and I'll post it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Kopparberg Pear Cider

There is already a thread extolling the virtues of this arguably unique and sublime tipple.

Manufactured with pear, it differs from the apple variety by being a little sweeter and with a mellower aroma.

Excellent to enjoy with your meal or when having a quiet few with your friends.

Hmmm - think I'll second that for next week - I've never had pear cider, and seeing as there's an existing thread on it, it appears to be a popular tipple. Two more nominatons and it's DOTW for 11th September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll add an upwards thumb of approval for Kopparburg pear too. It's so much easier to drink than most apple ciders I've had and goes down easily. Seems much less acidic. And very tasty too, to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I'm drinking some right now.

Very smooth, compared to other ciders with a lovely pear taste.

Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I can see me nominating Glenmorangie as drink of the week for next week if I don't see any other nominations...

I support this nomination. I haven't drunk Glen in at least 6 months though - time to try again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Whoops - looks like I'm a bit late :(
    Never had pear cider, so no support here. I'd nominate Beogradsko but I think the chances that anyone else here has ever actually drunk it is slim.

Advertisement