Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a weissbier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks Guys,This thread has turned out very useful,with lots of ideas for brands to try and even how to pour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BeerNut wrote: »
    This was in non-Munich parts of Bavaria :) In Munich your weissbier will likely come from a keg :eek:
    not if I'm ordering it !
    Theres normally dunkel available from the bottle so its the backup plan should standard weissbier be from the tap .

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

My personal favourites are:

Hoegaarden (Belgian)
    Franziskaner (German)
    Erdinger (German)

But there's plenty out there to try. Blue Moon (American) is surprisingly good and one that I loved but can't seem to find easily is Kronenberg Blanc.

Interesting the Lidl and Aldi ones come up as being good time and time again.I think I did try one of them before and wasn't impressed.Might have been the bad pour that was part of the problem,I ended up with a very foamy beer.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Interesting the Lidl and Aldi ones come up as being good time and time again.I think I did try one of them before and wasn't impressed.Might have been the bad pour that was part of the problem,I ended up with a very foamy beer.
    nope, they're crap all right. Over carbonated and quite flavourless.
    Which is actually also a good description of Erdinger, which is the most popular weissbier across non weissbier drinking regions thanks to its neutral (watery) taste.
    But that explains why the Aldi/ Lidl beers are similar, as this wateryness is what the north and east of germany expect and want from a weissbier, seeing as Erdinger was the first to bring Weissbier to the masses outside of its traditional homelands in south germany.

• Advertisement

nope, they're crap all right. Over carbonated and quite flavourless.
    Which is actually also a good description of Erdinger, which is the most popular weissbier across non weissbier drinking regions thanks to its neutral (watery) taste.
    But that explains why the Aldi/ Lidl beers are similar, as this wateryness is what the north and east of germany expect and want from a weissbier, seeing as Erdinger was the first to bring Weissbier to the masses outside of its traditional homelands in south germany.

Which ones do you recommend?

Which ones do you recommend?
    from whats available in Ireland,
    - Schneider Weiss Orginal (more tending to dunkel that regular) - http://www.drinkstore.ie/Schneider-Weisse-Tap-7-Unser-Original-500ML-4003669016203/
    - Schneider Weiss Blonde (their version of "regular" weissbier) http://www.drinkstore.ie/Schneider-Weisse-Tap-1-Meine-Blonde-Weisse-500ML-4003669016807/
    - Frankziskaner - (not as good as Schneider, but still more than acceptable and on a deal is great money spent) http://www.drinkstore.ie/FRANZISKANER-HEFE-500ML-4072700003649/
    - Paulaner Weissbier - (a nicely balanced weissbier) http://www.drinkstore.ie/PAULANER-HEFE-WEIS-500ML-4066600611981/

Actually, to be honest most weissbiers that you'd get are grand, aside from Erdinger, but even they have recognised that and have an "Urweisse" version that actually tastes of something.

BTW, in case anyone thinks I have something irrational against Erdinger, I dont. Aparantly they are the soundest crowd ever to work for and really look after their staff, its still family ran and they can be thanked for making weissbier popular across germany.
    But their success is entirely based on brewing a watered down version of weissbier that was deliberately created to appeal to non weissbier drinkers, and that has to be pointed out (so for folks used to watery lager may be a positive thing)

- Schneider Weiss Orginal (more tending to dunkel that regular) - http://www.drinkstore.ie/Schneider-Weisse-Tap-7-Unser-Original-500ML-4003669016203/
    - Schneider Weiss Blonde (their version of "regular" weissbier) http://www.drinkstore.ie/Schneider-Weisse-Tap-1-Meine-Blonde-Weisse-500ML-4003669016807/
    - Frankziskaner - (not as good as Schneider, but still more than acceptable and on a deal is great money spent) http://www.drinkstore.ie/FRANZISKANER-HEFE-500ML-4072700003649/
    - Paulaner Weissbier - (a nicely balanced weissbier) http://www.drinkstore.ie/PAULANER-HEFE-WEIS-500ML-4066600611981/

Actually, to be honest most weissbiers that you'd get are grand, aside from Erdinger, but even they have recognised that and have an "Urweisse" version that actually tastes of something.

BTW, in case anyone thinks I have something irrational against Erdinger, I dont. Aparantly they are the soundest crowd ever to work for and really look after their staff, its still family ran and they can be thanked for making weissbier popular across germany.
    But their success is entirely based on brewing a watered down version of weissbier that was deliberately created to appeal to non weissbier drinkers, and that has to be pointed out (so for folks used to watery lager may be a positive thing)

Thanks for that. It was a Schneider and a Miesle that we were drinking.But I can't remember if it was the original Schneider or the blonde.Sure I'll give both a go and see.The Miesle was also very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Heres the ones from the Ratebeer top 50 which are available here, in ranking order

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
    Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier
    Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier
    Schneider Weisse Original
    Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen
    Schneider Weisse Tap X Meine Sommer Weisse
    Maisels Weisse Original

drumswan wrote: »
    Heres the ones from the Ratebeer top 50 which are available here, in ranking order

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
    Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier
    Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier
    Schneider Weisse Original
    Schneider Weisse Tap X Meine Sommer Weisse
    Maisels Weisse Original

Good list.Must hit the off license this weekend. Strange for me as I usually just get some lager from a supermarket. And indeed at that I don't often drink in the house, mostly the pub. Next thing on my list is to get the wife's brother to get some into his pub. Are the draft weissbiers we get here similar to our other beers in that they are brewed here, all full or gas and chemicals and bear little resemblance to the original?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Are the draft weissbiers we get here similar to our other beers in that they are brewed here, all full or gas and chemicals and bear little resemblance to the original?

I've had Paulaner and Franziskaner on draft a number of times and they were grand. Like any other beer though if they're not moving it regularly it won't be great. I believe that the flavour really starts to diminish from kegged weissbiers after 4-6 weeks once they've been opened so bottled would have a better shelf life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Got the last bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier in drinkstore this afternoon, hah

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I thought Frankziskaner was still available in Aldi or Lidl at a good price?

And personally I thought Shofferhofer was quite good and also very affordable in Aldi...

Just back from a little trip to the German supermarkets.picked up a bottle of ....

Aldi - Schöfferhofer 0.5l @ €1.79
    Aldi - Paulaner 0.5l @ €2.49
    Lidl - Franziskaner 0.5l @€;1.99

All are chilling in the fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I suppose the Paulaner is only in for Octoberfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I suppose the Paulaner is only in for Octoberfest.

The wheat is available all year round, their Octoberfest marzen is for the fest

oblivious wrote: »
    The wheat is available all year round, their Octoberfest marzen is for the fest

Sorry,I meant to say that I guess Paulaner is probably only in Aldi for a short while.

Tried the Paulaner. Lovely pint, nice and smooth. Did the whole pour thing,rinsed with cold water and left wet, poured at 45 degrees and swirled the last bit to get all the yeast. Happy with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Those Rauchbiers are not for the faint of heart! The flavour is incredibly intense. They're so smokey they're almost like drinking liquidated rashers :D

I had one in the Brewdock one night and while I enjoyed it i don't think I'd be in a hurry for another.

Oh and picked up 4 Schoferhoffers today myself OP. This thread gave me a longing for some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Two Irish options worth a try are White Gypsy Blonde from tipp and Wicklow brewery's Weiss

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

"Two Irish options worth a try are White Gypsy Blonde from tipp and Wicklow brewery's Weiss"

This available in bottles or just on tap ?

Also, anyone tried these
    http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/kellerweis

http://widmerbrothers.com/beer/#hefeweizen

planning on sampling them soon, just wondering if they worth it.
    as at 2.50-2.90 for 330ml puts them on par with some of the better German stuff....so wondering should I just stick with the real deal..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Both are draught only.

I don't really get the point of the American weissbiers when you're not in America. Both of those are fine, but the quality German stuff is better, in terms of bottle size if nothing else. But by all means try them. Drink all the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

"Two Irish options worth a try are White Gypsy Blonde from tipp and Wicklow brewery's Weiss"

Also, anyone tried these

sierra nevada kellerweis

widmer brothers hefeweizen

planning on sampling them soon, just wondering if they worth it.
    as at 2.50-2.90 for 330ml puts them on par with some of the better German stuff....so wondering should I just stick with the real deal..

I liked both of them. They were Americanised versions of a wheat beer and nice in their own right without being exceptional. Perhaps they should be their own style and not compared to German ones, even with those names...

Some find German wheat beers to filling or tough going, so maybe they're a good intro to the general style too.

Also, Rascals Witt Woo is another interesting Irish wheat that I liked. Not German style I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

lk67 wrote: »
    Also, Rascals Witt Woo is another interesting Irish wheat that I liked. Not German style I know!

So much good beer so little time.... :-(

lk67 wrote: »
    I liked both of them. They were Americanised versions of a wheat beer and nice in their own right without being exceptional. Perhaps they should be their own style and not compared to German ones, even with those names...

Some find German wheat beers to filling or tough going, so maybe they're a good intro to the general style too.
    If you want a "non filling" weissbier then stick to erdinger

that said, even with Franziskaner I sometimes wonder if its a little more fizzy and lighter flavour when its really fresh and whether the flavour develops somewhat over time.

I suppose it'd be a good subject of a head to head test sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Had some of that Schöfferhofer from Aldi yesterday, not in the same league as some of the "best in breed" for the style but a pretty plesant drink for 1.79 a bottle and more charachter that Erdinger imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Schneider Weiss tap 7 got a bottle as part of tesco's 4 for €8 deal a few days ago. Just picked it up as an option to get something different. Really liked it would have drank a lot of erdinger when it first came on the Irish market but this is so much nicer. Will be stocking up on a few bottles.

They had the Erdinger Urweisse as part of the deal didn't know how it was different from their usual weiss. Will try a bottle.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    <snip>
    They had the Erdinger Urweisse as part of the deal didn't know how it was different from their usual weiss. Will try a bottle.
    it's good.

"normal" erdinger is a watery brew originally designed to appeal to pils drinkers in north germany. Its deliberately brewed to be bland, or at least way blander than weissbier otherwise would be.

The "Urweisse" though means "original weisse"(bier) so the proper stuff that isnt brewed according to their regular watered down recipe.

Advertisement