Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think when I eventually make it into the Beer Market for a drink I'll be on my lonesome because at those kind of prices there'll be no way I'd convince any mates to go. Even if they were buying the cheaper options I'd have to listen to them telling me how nuts I was buying the more expensive stuff.

If you manage to drink there for the whole night, you won't give a sh1te what they think! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heroditas wrote: »
    If you manage to drink there for the whole night, you won't give a sh1te what they think! :D

The whole night?! Really?
    Has anybody drank there for the whole night yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

The crowd appears pretty transient tbh. Stay for a couple beers, have a chat about it and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Passenger wrote: »
    The crowd appears pretty transient tbh. Stay for a couple beers, have a chat about it and leave.

Which is why I was surprised at the slightly out of the way location. The idea seems perfect for south William St or somewhere similar. Head in for a couple of beers after a day shopping or before heading somewhere for dinner. Basically rely on steady footfall instead of large crowds of people for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The whole night?! Really?
    Has anybody drank there for the whole night yet?

We had the best seats (alcove upstairs) and I spent €23 on 3 beers, there over 2 hours. Hard to convince the lads to stay for more when they wanted to go down to the Thomas House for Modus Hoperandi for under €6 in the 16oz glasses, when it's dearer in the BM for a can.

Still a great selection. Pubs a bit sterile, but it is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I had a mini celebration yesterday which consisted of a couple of cans of beavertown smog rocket, followed by some glasses of O brother bonita, and topped off the evening with my first, and probably only, bottle of founders KBS. Now that was a nice Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a bottle of St Austell Proper Job - I was a bit underwhelmed by it, it says "powerfully hopped" on the label but I didn't get much hops off it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

slayerking wrote: »
    Oops, its actually 330ml. Just checked the menu.
    I'm not here enough to know if they changed their glasses.

Annoys me that beer market seems to intentionally cover the price of beers like these when they go up so I've to trawel boards. (see their twitter of the buxton raspberry etc. where they clearly cover the price). Dunno how I feel about being intentionally lured with the prices not being disclosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If they put the prices on Social Media it would be an absolute shítstorm of witty clueless imbeciles writing fluff pieces in The Metro along the lines of "OMFG A PINT OF BEER IN THIS DUBLIN PUB COSTS ELEVENTY POUNDS!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

If they put the prices on Social Media it would be an absolute shítstorm of witty clueless imbeciles writing fluff pieces in The Metro along the lines of "OMFG A PINT OF BEER IN THIS DUBLIN PUB COSTS ELEVENTY POUNDS!!"

Fair enough but I think they could do a bit more to helpful to the people who want to drink there instead of showing up with Juicebag as 11.50 and deciding nah. Sort of wastes my time. Anyway this is a bit off topic I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Totally agree with you.
    If you can check online how much you are going to spend on steak how come you cant do same with beer?

It is a good thing that we have places like beer market but to be honest i would rather have better selection in
    Off licences and save some money.

12€ for half glass is just crazy.

transik wrote: »
    i would rather have better selection in
    Off licences and save some money.

Which off licences have you visited recently - the selection in off licences like certain Carry Outs, Next Door, Drinkstore, McHugh's, Sweeneys, Martins, Probus is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Which off licences have you visited recently - the selection in off licences like certain Carry Outs, Next Door, Drinkstore, McHugh's, Sweeneys, Martins, Probus is great.

Visit them all. My locall off licence is drink store.selection is only ok, too be honest with you. New beers relased on a daily basic. I undenstand that you cant get everything but rotation of the stock is only ok. Distribusion is an issue for sure but back in my home town, shops are packed with hungarian italian or french beers not to mention usa selection praire or caldera avaiable off the shelf.
    Same in barcelona stone and balast point avaiable quite offten without going to beer market and spending over 10€ to try it.there so much more then brewdog mikkeller or Tøol.

And it is probably thanks to me that we can enyoy spanish craft in drink store:)
    I email Ken and asked for naparbier explainnig to him that it is great brewery.

I didn't think Probus was great when I was last in there.
    A lot of O'Briens have great selections nowadays.
    Honourable mention to Kennys/Corkscrew in Lucan and the County Bar off-licence beside the Spa Hotel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Same here, prices tend to be on the higher side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

It was my birthday yesterday so celebrated with a bottle of The Lost Abbey Track #10 Bat Out Of Hell. It was glorious.

After sharing it with my brother we headed to the Beer Market and had Born To Die by BrewDog, Baron Samedi by Beerd Brewery, Beer Camp Hoppy Lager (2015) by Sierra Nevada and finally Love of Work by Siren. I'm broke now.

af190664715bbfb12b0a31bd23791dc6_640x640.jpg

Growler system is up and running in Super Valu in the Pavilions in Swords.

CGfsKmmWgAAL2QB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you just help yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What beers were being offered and how much were they ? Any idea if they fill the pegasus 1 litre ones that carryout use ?

I don't think any growler sellers will cross-sell to other growlers, will they?

It's a different system anyway. Non purge.

They've Metalman and Wicklow Wolf Arcadia there at the minute. Don't know the prices (pic is not mine), but I think I can make out the WW is €15 for a growler + fill (probably a litre)

• Advertisement

Growler system is up and running in Super Valu in the Pavilions in Swords.

CGfsKmmWgAAL2QB.jpg

"draft" <shudder>

It used to be better. It was never the best but generally had a decent range, however, I was in there a few days ago and they seem to have rearranged to prioritise food. They looked to have less fridges than before and even those ones were poorly stocked.

I don't think any growler sellers will cross-sell to other growlers, will they?

It's a different system anyway. Non purge.

They've Metalman and Wicklow Wolf Arcadia there at the minute. Don't know the prices (pic is not mine), but I think I can make out the WW is €15 for a growler + fill (probably a litre)

Those look similar to the bottles from Galway Bay and Sweetmans. I know that both of those have no problem selling in the others bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Got my first ever mail ordered beer haul
    nY6JFYP.jpg

Might have to drink a bomb to celebrate Blatter resignation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Oooh where did they come from

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

https://www.saveur-biere.com/en/

The Prairie Apple Brandy Noir blew me away when I was in the states so I got tricked into buying a bunch of others on the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ooooo might have to make an order, They have an IPA i've always wanted to try however looks like it's out of date

https://www.saveur-biere.com/en/bottled-beer/6285-cigar-city-jai-alai.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

snowblind wrote: »
    Got my first ever mail ordered beer haul

<PIC>

Might have to drink a bomb to celebrate Blatter resignation

I tasted the Curee Delphine (The Truth Will Set You Free) at the last Fran Well Oktoberfest. I don't remember much from that night, but I do remember that was one of the finest beers there. Very smooth, with rich chocolate and coffee flavors, if I remember correctly. A damn fine beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well there goes a €65 quid order for 7 beers. No issue either, same as a decent bottle of whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah why ya go and show me that site?!! WHY!!!?!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement