Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BDK

Feel your pain Beasty.Im originally from manchester,my parents moved home in 1981.Just back from there yesterday after my aunts funeral.Mary Breslin RIP.My cousins over there are season ticket holders and we were talking about the game,hoping to put manners on the nouveau riche.Hard to watch,but when it went to 3 1,I put my optimistic head on.Didnt last long.I was at the 50 year Munich anniversary game with my brother,a red,and my brother in law,a blue.He sang blue moon all the way home on the plane full of united fans back to shannon.So thats him and his city fan son Liam I have to avoid...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is being an ABU a ban-able offence?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I thought they had too. Who got there first? Very clever idea in theory, but I've heard mixed things about it in practice.

Sachs used to offer it as a retro fit kit for their torpedo 3speed hub, which is the very hub Brompton use for their 6 speed bike, although I think they offer it with a S.A. hub now but it's the newer hub that takes cassette splined sprockets and not the older type, I've never had any one complain about the 6 speed set up, if it's all adjusted right it works very well, it's not as wide a ratio as the 5 speed they used to fit though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Acds9_FCIAAlvld.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hermy wrote: »
    Only if you mention it here ....;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wouldn't dream of it Beasty!6

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Beasty, I missed the score on the Six One news, what did it finish up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hermy wrote: »

doubt it - but being a "noisy neighbour" might be:)

"Fergie confident of silencing 'noisy neighbours' City"

.....oh dear!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Getting this thread back on topic:
    Chris Hoy wrote:
    It seems that there are quite a few folk out there on twitter who think that the football referee Chris Foy is actually me. I'm certainly hoping that's the case anyway, as I'm receiving some serious stick from Chelsea fans! Honestly, it wasn't me who sent your player off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Screen'd just now. Cool tracking bro(City Link, from wiggle).
    tracking.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSembiFqGNARCwDsMXnfxhrtpdiwUbC0j-hqZUgD1C8op5rl2w8iA

The number of the Beast(y)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

The neighbour of the beast.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

still cant believe how poor that ref was at refing the breakdown in rugby yesterday, new zealand and its people needed that win thou.

the moto gp accident was horrible altogether

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-10-24/fergies-darkest-days-including-newcastle-liverpools-old-trafford-annihilation-and-two-huge-hammerin

Sir Alex Ferguson described Man United's incredible 6-1 derby day demolition at the hands of Man City as the worst day of his managerial career.

It's difficult to argue with the Scot, but these six dismal defeats must be up there alongside Sunday's horror show.

Newcastle 5-0 MAN UNITED: 20 OCTOBER 1996
    The first of successive away day humiliations for Man United, who travelled to St James' Park in the 1996/97 season trailing the Magpies by two points after nine Premier League games. David Ginola curled an unstoppable long-range effort into the top corner for Newcastle's second after Darren Peacock's early opener to make it 2-0 before half-time. Strikers Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer combined to make it 4-0, while Philippe Albert rounded things off with a delightful chip with seven minutes remaining. Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't best pleased when Karel Poborsky's first-half penalty claim was controversially dismissed, though it was irrelevant as the Geordies' attacking flair had blown his team out of sight for 90 minutes.

Southampton 6-3 MAN UNITED: 26 OCTOBER 1996
    A virtuoso display from Matt Le Tissier six days after the disaster at St James' Park piled the misery on for Fergie, but it was Egil Ostenstad who grabbed the headlines with an impressive hat-trick for the Saints. Southampton's talisman did manage a deserved goal, though, and in true Le Tiss fashion, weaved his way through two defenders before delivering a classy chip over Peter Schemeichel - who clearly learned nothing from Philippe Albert - into the back of the net. Man United recovered to win the league by seven points, however, Southampton stayed afloat on goal difference.

BARCELONA 4-0 MAN UNITED: 2 NOVEMBER 1994
    Fergie paid a costly price for shuffling his pack at the Nou Camp for such a vital group stage fixture against a team that had finished as runners-up a year earlier. Gary Walsh was chosen ahead of Peter Schmeichel and was forced to pick the ball out of United's net on four occasions. Bulgaria striker Hristo Stoichkov grabbed a brace and Romaria and Albert Ferrer also scored while current manager Pep Guardiola was instrumental in midfield. The Catalan club's superior goal difference proved crucial as they progressed to the knockout stages along with Gothenburg as Man United were left to rue a whopping defeat.

MAN UNITED 1-4 LIVERPOOL: 14 MARCH 2009
    Not quite the 6-1 drubbing Man City dished out this weekend, although many of United's fans regard the rivalry with Liverpool as their greatest. That was certainly the case in 2008/09 with City sitting in mid-table and Rafael Benitez's Reds providing the stiffer competition for the Premier League crown. With inspired performances from Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, who both scored as did Fabio Aurelio and Andrea Dossena, Liverpool stunned Old Trafford with a dominant display that lifted them to within four points of the Red Devils. It proved little more than a blip, albeit a hugely embarrassing one, as they still marched towards another Premier League title, maintaining their four point advantage over the Reds for the remainder of the campaign.

MAN UNITED 0-1 Leeds United: 4 JANURARY 2010
    A 1-0 scoreline doesn't normally conjure up embarrassing headlines, but for reigning Premier League champions and Champions League runners-up, that's exactly how you'd sum up a home defeat against League One opposition. To make matters worse, the result dumped United out of the FA Cup in the third round and came against fierce rivals Leeds United after Jermaine Beckford, now at Leicester City following a spell with Everton, calmly slotted the ball past Tomas Kuszczak for the game's only goal. Leeds couldn't repeat the trick this year, however, when they hosted Fergie's men in the Carling Cup where they suffered a comprehensive 3-0 defeat.

MAN CITY 5-1 MAN UNITED: 23 SEPTEMBER 1989
    Sir Alex was struggling to stamp his authority on a Man United side who'd finished the previous 1988/89 campaign two points behind Millwall in 11th spot, while their rivals on the other hand were still jubilant from their promotion back into the top flight. City opened up a 3-0 half-time lead with the only surprise perhaps being their inability to make the scoreline more emphatic having led 5-1 with half an hour still to play. Gary Pallister - at fault for City's opener - described this defeat as the lowest point of his career.

Why is it that people who have been Liverpool supporters all their life are suddenly showing an interest in football?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    Why is it that people who have been Liverpool supporters all their life are suddenly interested in football?:confused:

Cos we otherwise have sweet fa to cheer about.

Oh, and I shall see you at approx 6.01 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

RobFowl wrote: »
    http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-10-24/fergies-darkest-days-including-newcastle-liverpools-old-trafford-annihilation-and-two-huge-hammerin

Sir Alex Ferguson described Man United's incredible 6-1 derby day demolition at the hands of Man City as the worst day of his managerial career.

It's difficult to argue with the Scot, but these six dismal defeats must be up there alongside Sunday's horror show.

Newcastle 5-0 MAN UNITED: 20 OCTOBER 1996
    The first of successive away day humiliations for Man United, who travelled to St James' Park in the 1996/97 season trailing the Magpies by two points after nine Premier League games. David Ginola curled an unstoppable long-range effort into the top corner for Newcastle's second after Darren Peacock's early opener to make it 2-0 before half-time. Strikers Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer combined to make it 4-0, while Philippe Albert rounded things off with a delightful chip with seven minutes remaining. Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't best pleased when Karel Poborsky's first-half penalty claim was controversially dismissed, though it was irrelevant as the Geordies' attacking flair had blown his team out of sight for 90 minutes.

Southampton 6-3 MAN UNITED: 26 OCTOBER 1996
    A virtuoso display from Matt Le Tissier six days after the disaster at St James' Park piled the misery on for Fergie, but it was Egil Ostenstad who grabbed the headlines with an impressive hat-trick for the Saints. Southampton's talisman did manage a deserved goal, though, and in true Le Tiss fashion, weaved his way through two defenders before delivering a classy chip over Peter Schemeichel - who clearly learned nothing from Philippe Albert - into the back of the net. Man United recovered to win the league by seven points, however, Southampton stayed afloat on goal difference.

BARCELONA 4-0 MAN UNITED: 2 NOVEMBER 1994
    Fergie paid a costly price for shuffling his pack at the Nou Camp for such a vital group stage fixture against a team that had finished as runners-up a year earlier. Gary Walsh was chosen ahead of Peter Schmeichel and was forced to pick the ball out of United's net on four occasions. Bulgaria striker Hristo Stoichkov grabbed a brace and Romaria and Albert Ferrer also scored while current manager Pep Guardiola was instrumental in midfield. The Catalan club's superior goal difference proved crucial as they progressed to the knockout stages along with Gothenburg as Man United were left to rue a whopping defeat.

MAN UNITED 1-4 LIVERPOOL: 14 MARCH 2009
    Not quite the 6-1 drubbing Man City dished out this weekend, although many of United's fans regard the rivalry with Liverpool as their greatest. That was certainly the case in 2008/09 with City sitting in mid-table and Rafael Benitez's Reds providing the stiffer competition for the Premier League crown. With inspired performances from Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard, who both scored as did Fabio Aurelio and Andrea Dossena, Liverpool stunned Old Trafford with a dominant display that lifted them to within four points of the Red Devils. It proved little more than a blip, albeit a hugely embarrassing one, as they still marched towards another Premier League title, maintaining their four point advantage over the Reds for the remainder of the campaign.

MAN UNITED 0-1 Leeds United: 4 JANURARY 2010
    A 1-0 scoreline doesn't normally conjure up embarrassing headlines, but for reigning Premier League champions and Champions League runners-up, that's exactly how you'd sum up a home defeat against League One opposition. To make matters worse, the result dumped United out of the FA Cup in the third round and came against fierce rivals Leeds United after Jermaine Beckford, now at Leicester City following a spell with Everton, calmly slotted the ball past Tomas Kuszczak for the game's only goal. Leeds couldn't repeat the trick this year, however, when they hosted Fergie's men in the Carling Cup where they suffered a comprehensive 3-0 defeat.

MAN CITY 5-1 MAN UNITED: 23 SEPTEMBER 1989
    Sir Alex was struggling to stamp his authority on a Man United side who'd finished the previous 1988/89 campaign two points behind Millwall in 11th spot, while their rivals on the other hand were still jubilant from their promotion back into the top flight. City opened up a 3-0 half-time lead with the only surprise perhaps being their inability to make the scoreline more emphatic having led 5-1 with half an hour still to play. Gary Pallister - at fault for City's opener - described this defeat as the lowest point of his career.

I'll never forget that goal by Philippe Albert for Newcastle in the 5-0 win. A defender to chip Schmeichel the way he did, purely magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Only good news from yesterday is that I treated myself to a kindle in Dublin airport on the way over and downloaded some free samples from the amazon cycling section.
    Early days but I like it so far.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

MessengerBike-thumb-500x382-25158.jpg

Are these hydraulic rim brakes with drop bar levers, or am i missing something??

Larger picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hmmm, I guess the continental ultra sport tyres on my bike are good in the wet. I cycled home through a river, it was formerly a road though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a great cycle back from Tallaght to town, the rain really got me pumped.

Oddly enough a huge amount of people out running, more than I have seen all year, glad to see quite alot of cyclists persevered and came out as well though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had a great cycle back from Tallaght to town, the rain really got me pumped.

Oddly enough a huge amount of people out running, more than I have seen all year, glad to see quite alot of cyclists persevered and came out as well though.

Marathon soon, October and January are the two months you'll see a lot of joggers around.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Marathon soon, October and January are the two months you'll see a lot of joggers around.

I know but I would have thought that today would have kept them in but it seemed to be the busiest day so far this year, why January, I know the DCM is coming up for this month is there something on then as well or is it a burst of New years resolutions?

abcdggs wrote: »
    MessengerBike-thumb-500x382-25158.jpg

Are these hydraulic rim brakes with drop bar levers, or am i missing something??

Larger picture

Looks like a cyclocross-road-mtb-TT mish mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Raam wrote: »
    Looks like a cyclocross-road-mtb-TT mish mash.
    According to cannondale it's a messenger bike...

I've just never seen those brakes before

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

abcdggs wrote: »
    According to cannondale it's a messenger bike...

I've just never seen those brakes before

It looks more like Cannondale had a bunch of spare parts lying around.

Geraint Thomas says he's going to miss the Tour to focus on the Olympics next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Interesting spin home this evening. Started out avoiding the flooded sections of road but it pretty soon became apparent that I wouldn't be going anywhere that way. Some axle-deep floods, low gear and keep spinning. Overshoes filled up from the start. Was grand most of the way, overtaking the cars awaiting their turns through the floods. Got a bit chilled for the last bit. Normal 32 min commute took 44 min...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Interesting spin home this evening. Started out avoiding the flooded sections of road but it pretty soon became apparent that I wouldn't be going anywhere that way. Some axle-deep floods, low gear and keep spinning. Overshoes filled up from the start. Was grand most of the way, overtaking the cars awaiting their turns through the floods. Got a bit chilled for the last bit. Normal 32 min commute took 44 min...

Did you go out the coast? If so, is the cycle track passable? I avoided it when I heard there were road closures. Went out the Malahide Rd river instead and it was a struggle. Had to get off and walk through at Collins Ave. Knee deep and fast-flowing floods. There's a car stuck where a manhole cover was washed away and the front right wheel of the car went into it. Mad out there..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement