Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Paid a visit to Tesco Maynooth tonight. The selection is pleasantly surprising.

Picked up these -

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=12696

All Porterhouse bottles, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Coopers Pale Ale, Goose Island IPA, Fruli, Shipyard IPA and Export all €1.50 per bottle (down from €2.49 apparently). There's a few others too.

Sam Adams lager 6 for €8 and 8 degrees bottles 6 for €10.99

Whitewater, O'Haras, Fullers, Badger, Wells, Youngs, Budvar, Erdinger - pick any 5 for €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout is in the pic there, 5 for a tenner that is good value. Will be heading tesco in a few so.

what does that taste like?excuse my ignorance but does it taste like choclate in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

trackguy wrote: »

Thats great value, Tescos must have upped their selection aswell.
    Must check out my local Tescos soon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what does that taste like?excuse my ignorance but does it taste like choclate in any way?

Chocolate stout can mean anything from a stout with a hint of chocolate(using chocolate malt) to a stout that tastes like there's a bar of dairy milk melted into it.

Young's is quite chocolaty, they use real chocolate in the brewing process and I think it's pretty delicious. Maybe not something you can have more than 1 or 2 of but goes well with desserts.

Porterhouse have their Chocolate Truffle stout on at the minute and it is probably as chocolatey as you can get. Worth having a half pint of it at least anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

irish_goat wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »

Chocolate stout can mean anything from a stout with a hint of chocolate(using chocolate malt) to a stout that tastes like there's a bar of dairy milk melted into it.

Young's is quite chocolaty, they use real chocolate in the brewing process and I think it's pretty delicious. Maybe not something you can have more than 1 or 2 of but goes well with desserts.

Porterhouse have their Chocolate Truffle stout on at the minute and it is probably as chocolatey as you can get. Worth having a half pint of it at least anyway.

Thanks for the reply.ill be visiting tesco tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Whitewater, O'Haras, Fullers, Badger, Wells, Youngs, Budvar, Erdinger - pick any 5 for €10.

Nice one , so Fullers pride is 2 quid a bottle.

Shame , I think it was only about 8 months ago it was 1.75 on a special

Anyway, time to pick up a few I think

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Picked up these -

All Porterhouse bottles, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Coopers Pale Ale, Goose Island IPA, Fruli, Shipyard IPA and Export all €1.50 per bottle (down from €2.49 apparently). There's a few others too.

Did you try the HopHead yet? Tought it was a bit bland myself. Though anything from Sierra Nevada is good, still drinking some Ruthless at the moment before it's gone. But 1.50 a bottle for Goose Island IPA, I may grab a good few.

White_Wolf wrote: »

Picked up these -

Did you try the HopHead yet? Tought it was a bit bland myself. Though anything from Sierra Nevada is good, still drinking some Ruthless at the moment before it's gone. But 1.50 a bottle for Goose Island IPA, I may grab a good few.

I really like the Hop Head. Lovely lingering citrus finish.

The Shipyard IPA was a bit dull in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a great selection in Tesco Ballybrack, but still managed to get London Pride, Honeydew, and two of my favourites: O'Hara's IPA and Leann Folainn.

S'funny, the most desirable beer in their world beers collection seems to be Peroni. Ah well. More good beer for me.

Most people that drink beer, don't like good beer in reality, hense the love for Peroni, they think they are getting an amazing "craft" beer that they like. Doesn't bother me, like what you want, I love good beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Tesco Balbriggan & Drogheda has the usual poor selection. Clarehall had the Porterhouse and Shipyard beers along with a bigger selection of the English beers. No sign of Goose Island or Sierra Nevada in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

DarrenG wrote: »
    Tesco Balbriggan & Drogheda has the usual poor selection. Clarehall had the Porterhouse and Shipyard beers along with a bigger selection of the English beers. No sign of Goose Island or Sierra Nevada in any of them.

Finglas Clearwater had Sierra Nevada but no Goose Island from memory.
    The selection was better than what's available in the North. Some unusual ones (to me). Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any Blue Moon in that offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any Blue Moon in that offer?

http://www.tesco.ie/pricenews/

Can't remember but this might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Picked up these -

That sounds like a very decent selection, thanks for sharing. I doubt my local Tesco will be anything near as promising, but I'll give htem the benefit of the doubt until the next time I'm passing.

One question: is that the Shipyard IPA from Maine?? It seems a fairly obscure one for Tesco to be stocking.

Focalbhach wrote: »
    That sounds like a very decent selection, thanks for sharing. I doubt my local Tesco will be anything near as promising, but I'll give htem the benefit of the doubt until the next time I'm passing.

One question: is that the Shipyard IPA from Maine?? It seems a fairly obscure one for Tesco to be stocking.

Yeah, it's the one from Maine. Bit of an odd one alright - I guess they're getting one big load of beer from one importer.

Had a bottle of it the other night - fairly average

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of it the other night - fairly average
    Yeah, wasn't too impressed with it either. Not what I expected from an American IPA, more of an English Burton style Ale but quite bland.
    Glad I only paid €1.50 for a bottle rather than the €2.80 I would've paid had I of gotten it from the likes of Drinkstore. Still to try their Export but won't be expecting much from it.

They've a huge range in Maynooth, mainly English Ales, ones that I hadn't heard of before.

Pity they hadn't any Sierra Nevada or Goose Island left. At those prices I would've picked up a box of each. Obviously other people had the same idea as me.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They've a huge range in Maynooth, mainly English Ales, ones that I hadn't heard of before.

Pity they hadn't any Sierra Nevada or Goose Island left. At those prices I would've picked up a box of each. Obviously other people had the same idea as me.

I don't think they've got them in yet. Was in Tesco the other night when they were just setting up the display and they had a space set out for it on the shelf but it was empty.

Was back in there last night and it wasn't there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't think they've got them in yet. Was in Tesco the other night when they were just setting up the display and they had a space set out for it on the shelf but it was empty.

Was back in there last night and it wasn't there either.
    They had a spot for both of them and it was empty apart for an "Out of Stock" sticker over the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I was in the one in Finglas and all they had was some O'Hara's and some Shipyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Didn't expect much from Tesco in Athlone but was pleasantly surprised by the choice. They seemed to have pretty much everything that has been mentioned here.

I only had a basket and decided against going back from a trolley, so only bought a couple of bottles of Goose Island, which I will sip while considering my purchasing strategy.

AhrSkidar wrote: »
    Didn't expect much from Tesco in Athlone but was pleasantly surprised by the choice. They seemed to have pretty much everything that has been mentioned here.

I only had a basket and decided against going back from a trolley, so only bought a couple of bottles of Goose Island, which I will sip while considering my purchasing strategy.

My purchase strategy, buy as many as I can before they are gone. Though, I think a lot of people have the same idea lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Tesco Balbriggan has stocked up overnight and they have Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, Porterhouse, Eight Degrees, all the English beers mentioned, Asahi and loads more. Plenty of stock of everything (even after I left).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

redalan wrote: »
    Finglas Clearwater had Sierra Nevada but no Goose Island from memory.
    The selection was better than what's available in the North. Some unusual ones (to me). Long may it continue.
    no sierra there for me! what was ut beside?
    KJ wrote: »
    I was in the one in Finglas and all they had was some O'Hara's and some Shipyard.
    again i saw no shipyard. strange, where was that located?

didnt see anything that wasn there before in there :(

The shipyard was on the top shelf at the opposite end of the shelf to the main beer section. I actually think it was beside the tesco value cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

was in tesco naas again today, still nothing there, you wouldnt even know the promotion is on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

KJ wrote: »
    The shipyard was on the top shelf at the opposite end of the shelf to the main beer section. I actually think it was beside the tesco value cider.
    hmm strange location, all the others are usually in that craft corner hiding behind all those crates! ah well the offer is on until the 23nd i believe

Tesco Clarehall have a huge selection. Got a good selection of English ales I had never heard of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Picked up these -

I was down there the other evening and I didn't even see a quarter of those! Jammy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Picked up these -

Tesco Wilton Cork had a full stock of goodies last night when I was in.
    Was an impressive sight to behold!

Advertisement