Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

yes, it saves after every chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You can delay your xray...by not releasing the triggers

A great tip. Was messing around with Sub Zero and you can do a few different combos into XRay by holding until the right moment

🤪

It really helps if you're winning and they're holding block forces them to make the move (I assume it'll work online too as I haven't been on)

Just 100%ed the tower.

Feel a little bit like a rock star tbh /nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Is there a way to hit confirm your combos.
    The way I see it you can only hit all buttons in quick succession for the combo and hope for the best.If you do it any slower the combo doesn't come out.Frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

God this game has so many infuriating moves. Ermac and Smoke I'm looking at you.
    However, Sheeva's stomp is all sort of hillarious :pac:

Game is really damn good though. I'm really enjoying story mode - and after the few hours of versus I played today I'm dead happy with the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Kano throw is the best thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Sairus wrote: »
    God this game has so many infuriating moves.

The good thing about that is that every character has at least one haha
    Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Oh and for those who havn't played online yet.....Scorpion is the Ryu of MK..........every other game someone picks him and spam the **** outta his spear throw rolleyes.gif

Im surprised no one has mentioned Kung Lao, honestly ive fought that character nearly 50% of the time during all my online matches. He seems to be the guy everyone goes to when i beat them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    /raises hand

Just going to throw the question out there - does the game skew towards defence?

As soon as you move forward, you risk getting a teleport move done to you. Easy to hold block button in place - no crossups from jump / teleport. Once XRay meter is charged, you want to block all the time just in case you make one mistake and lose %% life!

I'll be able to answer all these questions myself as I get more used to the game. Just wondering what other first impressions are?
    You take block damage from any attack in MK.

Always been like that AFAIK.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You take block damage from any attack in MK.

Always been like that AFAIK.
    You only take 1% though and a good blok usually leaves you lined up for more damage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I wish they would have made a proper manual with move lists for each character.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    I wish they would have made a proper manual with move lists for each character.
    why? It's there on the start menu, no difference between stopping to read a manual than stopping to read it on the start menu, besides you memorize the combo's of your favourite characters pretty quickly

Early tier list on SRK. Its bound to change, but it's an indication of how it looks so far:

http://shoryuken.com/content/mk9-fatality-lives-television-spot-strategy-guide-tier-list-4275/

Interesting that Shang Tsung, smoke and Cage are all placed in the top tier. I had always used cage back in the day and find myself gravitating to him more and more in MK9. His flip kick is seriously good as an anti air and his shadow kicks are amazing quick attacks and punishers. Only thing is his x-ray takes a bit more smarts to pull off than most.

Also, good to see that scorpion and sub zero are looking mid-tier if this list is at all accurate. It will mean all the spear and iceball spammers online will have to work a bit harder to keep up.

Kratos is apparently **** tier on the PS3. Looks like he was just a novelty character after all. Am glad I got the 360 version now, am already having a blast messing around on XBL with its more widespread voice chat.

Would agree with the top tier pretty much.

Lol at cyber sub being the worst!

Would agree with the top tier pretty much

Yep, me too. They all seem to be the handful of characters that are giving me the most grief so far. Does anybody know if Shang tsung's morphs into all the other characters are for CPU Shang Tsung only, or are they actually do-able via hidden inputs like they were in the old school MK games?

I'm not sure, I thought I was transforming earlier but i got hit(pretty sure the comp is immune mid transformation so I doubt I was)

I'd ****in love if he could though

Just a note, it's all over the place that Kabals babality is F,D,F,Y thats wrong it's actually F,D,B,A

My cheevo for doing all the babalities(hidden moves) didn't unlock boo. Should master smoke today(I've decided he's amazing and not for no0b spammers :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A tier list after three days seems fairly pointless.

We all know me and Dreddy are going to dominate the 2v2 scene with our GDLK Mileena/Noob Saibot team.

Dan and Farz don't stand a chance with their scrubby Ermac/Sindel!

why? It's there on the start menu, no difference between stopping to read a manual than stopping to read it on the start menu, besides you memorize the combo's of your favourite characters pretty quickly

Well I don't want to have to press start and then scroll all the way to the move list and beyond every time I want to do a combo.

Playing the challenge tower and story mode is frustrating this way as it changes your character so often that you have no time to learn anything. It would be nice to have a quick reference beside me at all times. I may have to purchase the guide.

And that tier list seems accurate enough for right now, based on what I've seen anyway. No doubt it will change quite a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Got it yesterday. Class game. Loving the story mode! Only getting used to it - the 2 on 1 matches are quite difficult, as I don't have a whole lot of combos down yet.

I don't want to have to press start and then scroll all the way to the move list and beyond every time I want to do a combo.

Yeah, I agree. A printed move list would be nice. Once I've settled on my 2 or 3 mains I'm going to print up a move list for them. Pausing the game to check an input at the mo is a bit of a pain and slows things down, but it's only a matter of time before the moves become second nature I suppose
    Playing the challenge tower and story mode is frustrating this way as it changes your character so often that you have no time to learn anything.

This is my biggest gripe about the challenge mode, I'd like to be able to choose my character for it. Using characters I know SFA about to learn the basics of everybody is not as much fun as using it to master one or two.
    me and Dreddy are going to dominate the 2v2 scene with our GDLK Mileena/Noob Saibot team

I have to say, the 2-man tag team matches are briliant fun. The tag-in specials are excellent. There is so much value in this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The worst thing about the movelist menu is it doesnt remember where you were when you pause the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'm loving the game so far, feels great to play and a lot of fun. Can someone answer me a few questions though; can you not select the stage in a player match and how do you do the stage fatalities? Do you have to unlock them in the crypt?

bush wrote: »
    The worst thing about the movelist menu is it doesnt remember where you were when you pause the next time.

Very much so. The amount of times I have to keep going back in after forgetting a combo or the positioning for a Fatality, then having to scroll all the way down is damn annoying.

Also, the game forgetting my controller presets every time I turn it on is starting to get annoying.

Creature wrote: »
    I'm loving the game so far, feels great to play and a lot of fun. Can someone answer me a few questions though; can you not select the stage in a player match and how do you do the stage fatalities? Do you have to unlock them in the crypt?

Stage fatalities are hidden. You have to find a list and input them. Same goes for babalities.
    Here ya go: http://gametipcenter.com/mortal-kombat-fatalities-list-for-xbox-360

I'm stuck on the Scorpion versus Cyrax & Sektor fight :( Does anyone have some good combos for Scorpion? I can win one round, but trying to win the two is tough.

That was tricky alright. I just blocked a lot and waited for openings. Took a while but can be done without too much trouble.

It only gets harder from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Sairus wrote: »
    Stage fatalities are hidden. You have to find a list and input them. Same goes for babalities.
    Here ya go: http://gametipcenter.com/mortal-kombat-fatalities-list-for-xbox-360

But how do you get them so show up in the moves list? It shows the command for Ermac's stage fatality in his move list, I thought maybe that's because I found his second fatality in the crypt. However I've since found second fatalities for other characters in the crypt yet no stage fatalities appear for them.

Beat it :) Just used block like you said, did the teleport punch to uppercut combo - works a charm.

Creature wrote: »
    But how do you get them so show up in the moves list? It shows the command for Ermac's stage fatality in his move list, I thought maybe that's because I found his second fatality in the crypt. However I've since found second fatalities for other characters in the crypt yet no stage fatalities appear for them.

You have to perform the fatalities in Arcade mode to get them to show up in the command list. :( Versus doesn't seem to work.
    I'm churning through all of them now. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Tower is a little irritating because it teaches you sonya...and then you have to use someone else! Also doesn't teach some basics. One minigame has jax use the wave and ground pound at just the push of a button.

I have written out some of my interested characters movelists. Then I add to it with custom combos.

🤪

Advertisement