Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robocop (Reboot)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why is one hand not covered?
    Well it is a set photo, the actor obviously took it off after filming to give him a little freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Skerries wrote: »
    stick a cape and a bat symbol on it and you could use it for the Batman vs. Superman scene in the The Dark Knight Returns

Yep reminded me also of the batsuit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thats probably his wankin' hand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it is a set photo, the actor obviously took it off after filming to give him a little freedom

In the original Robocop they removed Murphy's arm from his shoulder as it was practually blown off by Clarence Boddicker (That was the arm that the spike came out of his hand)

Probably a similiar thing going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The first suit was apparently pretty much all Verheoven and his vision of what Robocop was - a latter day Old West hero. Den of Geek have a pretty good article on it today.
    Paul Verhoeven’s concept of RoboCop was based on classic American icons – cowboys embodied by actors such as John Wayne, or invincible, maverick cops like Dirty Harry. His RoboCop is an ordinary Irish police officer transformed by technology into a modern equivalent of an Old West gunslinger; his walk is slow and deliberate, each step highlighted by a metallic stomp, like the spurs of a small-town sheriff. He’s fearless, implacable. He shoots and never misses.

When designing RoboCop’s suit, Rob Bottin had originally imagined a much stealthier character, and thought up a costume with lots of dynamic lines which suggested forward motion. In the end, the concept he came up with based on Verhoeven’s suggestions was much heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Good article.

So we can expect this Robocop to be a much more nimble athletic cyborg as opposed to the slow clunkiness of the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

207985_342971549129453_233103669_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This is going to get just as tiresome as "ITS JUST LIKE THE RAID", isn't it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Good article.

So we can expect this Robocop to be a much more nimble athletic cyborg as opposed to the slow clunkiness of the old one.

they already did that in GI Joe :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is another one of those cases where we should all reserve judgement until we see the design within the context of the film. It reminds me of when set photos leaked for the original X-Men. There was endless rounds of nitpicking about the leather costumes and how the film was going to suck. Fans felt very strongly that they should be spandex like in the comics. Then the film came out and everyone seemed to forget about it. Same thing happened with Superman Returns over the colour of his boots and the size of his "S"-shield (the film did kinda suck in the end, but not because of the suit) and more recently with Dredd over the helmet and lack of shoulder pads.

I love the original Robocop, the design for which really is iconic and it's unlikely this new film will match it. But it's silly to dismiss the design and the film on the basis of a few set photos of Kinnaman getting into his trailer. I'm not saying the film won't suck. There's a very strong chance it will, but if it does it won't be because they didn't use the same suit as the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I kinda like the suit, still love the first film, its a childhood classic for me, the music, the atmosphere and all that.

Not sure if it will transfer well into the current way films look, there is something about the 80's that made films look and sound better, thats just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,510 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'ello 'ello. Alright Ed?

robocop-remake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Think that was posted a while ago, That was the first image I saw for the new Robocop film and it does look like the old ED209.

I think that's why I assumed Robocop would look slightly like his old counterpart, instead of a complete overhaul.

Anyways, we will just have to wait and see how the film pans out, I don't have high hopes for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

http://www.whosjack.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/robocop-improved.jpg

A simple paint job would make this suit a thousand times better!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Would be gas if that's what they ended up doing and the photos were just taken from a test run for the actor to get used to it. All the uproar would be over nothing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The original Robocop returned to my mind having seen all the talk about the suit design on websites, so I watched it last night.

Man, that scene were Murphy is executed is still one of the most brutal moments I've ever witnessed in a film. I remember seeing it as a kid, it messed me up for weeks afterwards.

I don't imagine the remake will even try to replicate the death scene with that level of brutality and fear.

Would be gas if that's what they ended up doing and the photos were just taken from a test run for the actor to get used to it. All the uproar would be over nothing :pac:

Exactly what I was thinking :) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Worst thing about that news is that Elysium is pushed back for an end of summer release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

GmSaQ.png

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    GmSaQ.png

Is that real? I hope so!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,048 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is that real? I hope so!!

At least we can't see his eyes...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

At least we can't see his eyes...

This is a still from concept video doing the rounds (I'll see if I can get a link to it). It looks like this is the first suit he will be wearing. It will morph in to the black one that's been seen already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

phil1nj wrote: »

Quoth the talking head:
    "There's going to be Call of Duty style shootouts ..."

Bzzzzzzzzzt, I'm out. As if any more proof was needed the soul of original is being ignored / misplaced, it's this single comment. Call of Duty should not be taken as an inspiration for anything, let alone action movies.

phil1nj wrote: »

This is a still from concept video doing the rounds (I'll see if I can get a link to it). It looks like this is the first suit he will be wearing. It will morph in to the black one that's been seen already.

Ah ****, I love the metallic look!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

pixelburp wrote: »
    Quoth the talking head:
    "There's going to be Call of Duty style shootouts ..."

Bzzzzzzzzzt, I'm out. As if any more proof was needed the soul of original is being ignored / misplaced, it's this single comment. Call of Duty should not be taken as an inspiration for anything, let alone action movies.

When I heard there would be 2 suits I immediately thought of toys sales, nice that the guy actually mentions this in the clip too. This is going to be another soul sucking farce methinks.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I feel like this should be posted

iuwrP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It looks better than I thought but they got rid of the best scene it looks like. The one that scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Advertisement