Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

RonMexico wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who reads the Daily Bitch about U.L. thread and afterwards thanks the gods that I am in Mary I ? :D

Would a daily bitch about Mary I thread have so many problems ??
    It's probably due to the fact that not enough MIC students know that there is a Mary I thread in boards. But at the same time there probably would not be as much bitchin!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'd have a few things to complain about, but not as many I'd say. Also we could remedy that. Just do up a few posters of something with a URL shrink-ey thing. Then again how many people in Mary I know that the internet has more use than to go on facebook. I'd say about 10% is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

So what things do bother ye???

I must admit the canteen gets to me although it has improved a lot.

Oh and why did they take away the payphones near the IT office??? They were handy if I had no credit!

Cathecitics classes always get right up my nose, it's like religious indoctrination. I also have this thing against the SU. I never feel like I should be in there :confused:

Yeah I have witnessed a few of those classes in action and the impression I got was that it looked - "dated". Like from the 50's.

I know what you mean about the SU - I think it is because the office is so small. You walk in there and everybody is talking to each other, then when you speak they all stop and you feel like they are all listening to your query/problem. Which they probably are.

Can't say I have ecer really had anything to do with the SU - they are pretty powerless in Mary I.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about the SU - I think it is because the office is so small. You walk in there and everybody is talking to each other, then when you speak they all stop and you feel like they are all listening to your query/problem. Which they probably are.

Can't say I have ever really had anything to do with the SU - they are pretty powerless in Mary I.

Nail, on head, hit. It feels like if you go in for a chat (as that student diary thing suggests :rolleyes:) you're interrupting a very important clique from seriouz buiznezz... And to be honest I don't even know what they do, I know in my two years thus far, I've never seen anything important come out of the SU, except last year when they removed everyone's right to put posters up, so they could pimp their new site (which sucks), leaving the walls of Mary I dull and boring. Those two from last year were a complete joke.

[/rant]
    Sorry :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It sounds like I'm alone in liking the SU office! But I was fairly friendly with Darrel last year, and I'd get on very well with most of this year's Union too, so it's always going to be more comfortable when you know who you're talking to.

Dislikes: brutal music in the canteen and in An Siopa. They should be playing Wired FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Hey there!

I have to step in and defend the su...

Its true that they aren't afforded as much power as the su in larger colleges like ul; however they do make a difference. I'll give three relevant examples:

The college put back the computer lab closing time to 6pm due to the recession or some cost cutting measure. No one was happy with this...SU lobbied the college. The computer room is now back to normal opening hours.

The B.Ed and Psychs & ECCE students have been the only courses in the college without official notice boards for the last number of years. This year the new SU got us a notice board!! (small thing, but important nonetheless!!)

The college pays for one nurse at the health center. This is completely inadequate so last year the SU gave the funding to hire a second nurse so as to relieve the pressure and see more students.

One of the main criticisms of the SU is that it is a bit clique-y, but what can you expect from a small college where the same group of people end up running for positions and running the clubs and socs every year. Its kind of inevitable that these people will get friendly.. If you have a problem with how things are run you should step in and offer your two cents..most societies are dying for help!

In relation to Wired not being played in the canteen, siopa, lounge; Wired goes back on air next monday so its impossible to air it at present.
    The canteen is run by Campbell Catering so the su have no power over what is played. Last years' ents officers made a formal request to Campbells to have wired played in the canteen; it was played for about a week before changing back to spin.
    Most people complain when music is on in the lounge because so much group work ends up being done there. The siopa should play Wired, but its up to the ladies who work there really.
    The Wired FM schedule is much more structured this year so hopefully it will be played more in the college (eg it won't go from pop show -> death metal or anything so dramatically different)
    Also Wired FM will be streaming online in the coming weeks..

Ah it's yourself. Congrats on your first post!
    The college put back the computer lab closing time to 6pm due to the recession or some cost cutting measure. No one was happy with this...SU lobbied the college. The computer room is now back to normal opening hours.
    Wasn't their a note on the door that said that they were going to put the times back to normal soon as they could? Or was that all part of the web of despair and evil. Ha... (ww)web :P
    One of the main criticisms of the SU is that it is a bit clique-y... ...If you have a problem with how things are run you should step in and offer your two cents..
    The whole clique-yness is what puts people off from doing this in the first place. It may be easy for someone as well known around the college like yourself, but for the people who sort of hang out in the background, such a propistion is both more difficult and daunting.
    I have to step in and defend the su...
    Nothing to defend really, I personally have nothing agaisnt the SU office, I'm just saying I likewise have no good experiences with them. If I want something done I go to Student Services. Great bunch up there, from my experience.

As for the Wired F.M. thing, I was aware of the whole "not on air yet" thing, but I can almost guarantee that when they do finally get back up and running (have you a show again?), that the canteen will still be playing Spin F.M. despite the speakers in their belonging to Wired... Madness. The shop is another story though, and as far as I'm concerned those women (and that one hairy man)have more than earned the right to listen to whatever the hell they want! Last time I was in the lounge, "The Box" was playing at full blast *shudders*...

Finally a massive w00t to the fact that wired is FINALLY streaming!

Yes I have a show again this year; 7-8 on wednesday evenings.
    How about you d4rk onion? I presume you will in sem2 when all your tp is over.
    It may be easy for someone as well known around the college like yourself

I'm hardly well known...You have to just get involved!! (or not...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll try to make time to listen to that :)

ciarraioch wrote:
    I'm hardly well known...You have to just get involved!! (or not...)

Getting involved can be harder than it sounds. I was miserable in first year, didn't know anyone, could never motivate myself to join any clubs/societies because I wouldn't have felt comfortable with all those strange new people. Luckily enough I came out of my shell in second year, but I'm sure there must have been others who felt just as invisible as I did.

I think that's a problem that's common to all universities/colleges. And I get involved a little, I help with the live music soc plenty, mainly cause that's the only soc I'd have any interest in. I was thinking about setting up my own soc, but then I realised how few people in Mary I would want to join anything I may be even vaguely interested in :rolleyes:

Ciarriaochone, I hope you're plugging this thread back in college!

Ciarriaochone, I hope you're plugging this thread back in college!
    how many people in Mary I know that the internet has more use than to go on facebook. I'd say about 10% is fair.

I would say the number is closer to 25%

And out of the 75% who use it for facebook, farmville is the reason 30% joined facebook!

I don't know what that is, but I'm assuming I'd hate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

And while you're at it stay tuned for more of the regular rubbish (except as Gaeilge and with me and a hairy man) from 8-9.

Another Mary I-er, excellent! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your name is Eddy... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

I'm another Mary-Ier. That brings us up to about 5 people or so?

...and a newbie to boards.ie - Don't judge me! Currently studying for a Group Dynamics exam and was just reading about how newbies tend to get treated differently in forums as they are "isolates." Well I'll do my best to work on earning some "credits" and avoiding "cyberostracism" (What a word!!)

Ciarraíoch will feel my pain too!

Are you implying that you are also a B.Ed Psych..?

I am indeed... You definitely know who I am. We shared a "moment" at my kitchen sink! ;)

Was that a Barrys Golden moment?

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Was that a Barrys Golden moment?

Not on that occasion, to be honest! :D

Ciarraioch1 was there that night too, from what I can remember.
    D4RK ONION left the party early :p

D4RK ONION was told to leave when the drunk people began taking their tops off... That's okay because D4RK ONION had a perfectly entertaining night without ye, ye flippin' flippers! Also, of the many internet forums I regular, I'd say boards.ie has the most accepting community* bar the one in my sig, of course!

*As long as you're not trying to advertise ;)

That forum has an alarming tendency to go off topic...just like this thread is beginning to do!

Mary I....

When do the 3rd years go on home tp? Monday week, or the monday after that?
    Eg Do we have ye around for a bit, or are ye off again?

Think they're around for the next fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

I've got an hour to kill. I'm in the computer room in the library if anyone feels like coming to say hi and have a proper conversation.

Have to hide away in my room and study for this evening's psych exam. As you can see I'm definitely NOT wasting any of my time online with forums and the like! (Oh bugger)

You've caught the forum fever RibenaHead!
    That forum has an alarming tendency to go off topic...just like this thread is beginning to do!
    We at the FDF forum are a wonderful bunch, I'll have none of your bad mouthing! Also, it's more of a thread for Mary I people to hang out, that to specifically talk about the place. The UL forum isn't all about UL.
    EddyC15 wrote: »
    I've got an hour to kill. I'm in the computer room in the library if anyone feels like coming to say hi and have a proper conversation.
    I'm currently in my grandmothers house in Clare, so yeah that's probably not going to happen. We totally have enough people for some sort of Mary I related boards gathering. All of you! Tell your internet savy Mary I friends about this thread! And about boards.ie in general, of course!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Tell your internet savy Mary I friends

Hmmmm that'd be you (D4RK Onion), An File and Ciarraioch1 then. Sorted. My work here is done...

Someone better tell Hot Rod too

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Hmmmm that'd be you (D4RK Onion), An File and Ciarraioch1 then. Sorted. My work here is done...

Someone better tell Hot Rod too

Hot Rod already picked up a warning in this thread for arguing with someone :P

And you should not be on-line! Get some more study done!

• Advertisement

Epic warning...Speaking of epic, An File, where did you find someone with teh mad 'shoppin sk1llz to make you that shiny new avatar there?
    *cough*
    OH wait. It was me? My word I amaze even myself sometimes!

Advertisement