Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek Online

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Bah, I wrote a big review on the game but the forum ate it. : /

I'll write another one later but in general I don't really like the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

didnt you just start eve ? you better get back to them sisters missions and crank me out some lp bai !

fileshack off the sto website seems to be doing at a decent clip

Keeping my options open :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

I didnt get a beta invite from MMORPG.com i was hoping for one, But this person did

adeildric Star Trek Online Beta Access cork, Ireland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played for a few more hours today, and am really enjoying it. The ship customisations are pretty extensive, and actually make your ships look quite different. The space combat is good fun, and has started getting more challenging. Had to fight a few waves of Gorn ships there, and it was kinda tough. Fleet combat is great too. Looks pretty amazing, and its always great to team up with a few people to take down some large battleships.

The only thing that i'm really worried about now, is whether the combat will get a tad repetitive as you level. I hope there is plenty of abilities available as you level, and that the different class's of ships actually have an impact on how you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I'm still in the process of downloading the Beta. :mad:

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I played for a few more hours today, and am really enjoying it. The ship customisations are pretty extensive, and actually make your ships look quite different. The space combat is good fun, and has started getting more challenging. Had to fight a few waves of Gorn ships there, and it was kinda tough. Fleet combat is great too. Looks pretty amazing, and its always great to team up with a few people to take down some large battleships.

The only thing that i'm really worried about now, is whether the combat will get a tad repetitive as you level. I hope there is plenty of abilities available as you level, and that the different class's of ships actually have an impact on how you play.

What's the in game communication like between players?? That's the main thing i'm worried about. Well that and if it would be feasible to play solo as opposed to in a "clan".

What's the in game communication like between players?? That's the main thing i'm worried about. Well that and if it would be feasible to play solo as opposed to in a "clan".
    From what little i've seen of it so far, its perfectly possible to play through the game solo. The missions automatically get tougher (i.e. more and tougher ships spawing) if your in a group. I did a mission earlier with 3 other people, and we were going up against multiple Negh'Var warships, whereas you might have onle had 1 if you were solo.

As for the communication, its the standard chat really. It seemed a bit basic, but i read somewhere else that its fairly customizable. Dont think there's any inbuilt voice comms, but everyone has vent/teamspeak so who needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

I've been playing it myself, first and foremost thing to say is that its VERY buggy for a release in 3 weeks. I really thought some of the graphics bugs and mission related bugs would have been worked out by this stage and that the biggest problems would have been server related.

But I am enjoying it, although I dislike the ground combat, very boring. But the ship combat is great craic. Ended up with a team of 5 against a bunch of Klingons, really intense combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

So does the game...work? It seems like there's only a limited ability to go out and explore and interact with other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

yeah beta download is sloooow if ya didnt go steam or d2d

anyone gunna make an Irish fleet ?

• Advertisement

yeah beta download is sloooow if ya didnt go steam or d2d

anyone gunna make an Irish fleet ?

I hope someone does.

On the download note, mine should be done in another 5 hours or. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

78 hours to go :pac:

Fenster wrote: »
    So does the game...work? It seems like there's only a limited ability to go out and explore and interact with other players.

Exploration isn't very good at all. A lot of planets ( except for the mission ones and main planets ) are randomly generated so you'll go there once and once you leave the planet doesn't 'exist' any more. Also these planets are all instanced so you're not gonna bump into other players on them unless you grouped with themfore hand. It's also easier to solo planetside content missions than it is to group up for them so that kind of defeats the purpose of grouping on planets.

Space combat is pretty fun and can be tactical but I don't really enjoy just flying around, it seems just like Pirates of the Burning Sea in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

whats the deal with the Klingon's faction?

i remember someone saying that it seems to be pretty much entirely pvp based, is that true? and if so how does 'leveling' work if it's kinda a more background thing through missions when playing Federation?

Have the Beta downloaded and installed. Now i'm just patching it. A 5gb patch. I want to play now dam it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Have the Beta downloaded and installed. Now i'm just patching it. A 5gb patch. I want to play now dam it!

5GB patch? I downloaded 10gb on steam and that was it, a small patch of about 40mb. How big was the original download for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

c0mpliant wrote: »
    5GB patch? I downloaded 10gb on steam and that was it, a small patch of about 40mb. How big was the original download for you?

Steam pre-order is different download. If you didnt pre-order from steam you gotta download a 7 gig install and then do a patch

VinLieger wrote: »
    Steam pre-order is different download. If you didnt pre-order from steam you gotta download a 7 gig install and then do a patch

That's the case with me. Well, i've been playing it now for the last 2 hours or so. It's enjoyable but I was a bit let down by the graphics to be honest. Some of the gameplay is rather simplistic, so far, but i'm enjoying it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm still enjoying the game but I have a suspicion that its going to get very repetitive.

Jim wrote: »
    I'm still enjoying the game but I have a suspicion that its going to get very repetitive.
    I'm actually really worried about this too. I really enjoy the ship combat, but thats cause its new and different. I'm already a bit sick of some of the ground missions, as you dont even have combat in quite a few of them. I had two missions in a row earlier today, which consisted of beam to a planet, scan a probe, scan 3 more probes, then leave. Thats it.

I hope upgrading your ships/skills will make the gameplay change a fair bit, otherwise it could end up as yet another MMO that gathers dust on my hard drive, so to speak. Which would be a damn shame.

• Advertisement

Not trying to put people off or anything but I've deleted the beta and cancelled my pre-order. It really is a repetitive game, that doesn't bring a whole lot to the MMO genre. Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Not trying to put people off or anything but I've deleted the beta and cancelled my pre-order. It really is a repetitive game, that doesn't bring a whole lot to the MMO genre. Just my opinion anyway.

I was anticipating this reaction :/

Oh well, back to waiting for Diablo III and the Torchlight MMO

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Leprachaun wrote: »

Just did exactly the same thing with the same opinion.

To be honest if I was a massive Star Trek fan then I'd be in heaven... but thats if I was a massive fan!..

If people look past the star trek badge and want to play a space mmo then EVE is really the only option.

This game gives you nothing new and for some reason it just reminds me of the old star trek RTS that was out several years ago with a few bells and whistles and the ability to run around here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im not a huge star trek fan but i do love sapce games and i am really enjoying this. Ive had my fill of EvE a long time ago and i think this is a nice change and could do quite well. Also what mmo isnt repetitive, ok except EvE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Been playing the beta for a few hours, I have enjoying it mostly because the ship combat reminds me of bridge commander which was easily the best star trek game ever made (well maybe with birth of the federation) but i cant shake the feeling that this is basically it once you have played the beta for 2-3 hour's theres no surpises any more the game will just keep spaming the same missions just with bigger better ship's (and a ever longer list of systems to patrol on the fairly awful travel map) and all though i would dearly love to fly around in a galaxy class shooting fellow nerds in the neckbeard i just don't think its worth 50-60 euro up front and 15 euro a month it wont entertain long enough to be worth it and sure as hell wont replace eve online even for a short time for me.

Has a few other big issues for me apart from it just seeming repetitive such as the loading screens which is very odd and game flow breaking as iv only ever really played eve online (mmo wise) where every thing basically happens seamlessly unless you jump to a new system but that normally only takes a split second, And the general lack of social interaction i dont see much point playing with others in this game you can do every thing on your own quite happly, Also it still boogles the mind that mmo's dont copy the eve chat systeml.....god i love eve :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Also, I *hate* the music. I loathe it. It sounds nothing like Star Trek. That ****ing **** male opera singer. God I hate him so much.

It seems actually quality MMO's are a rarity these days.

-Make MMO engine
    -Purchase popular IP
    -Slap IP skin on engine
    -Profit

No real creativity or innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Siegfried

this game is gonna be huge

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Siegfried wrote: »
    this game is gonna be huge

Yeah huge repetition from what i hear so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Yeah its repetitive cause its still in beta and you are limited to 1 sector and a lvl cap of 16.

they are trying to work bugs out before they go forward testing other parts of the game

• Advertisement

Boring game I must say. Plus it's buggy as hell. I'm very disappointed. I might re-evaluate it once it has been released and some bugs have been ironed out.

Advertisement