Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Focus Instrument cluster

Options
  • 24-10-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Brought my 2003 Ford Focus into the local dealer to do a diagnostic after Engine Management Light came on. Only came on for a couple of minutes few weeks ago and then again for a few seconds a couple of days ago. Anyway, two faults showed up - with the Instrument Cluster panel and another (voltage problem I think he said).

Guy said Instrument Cluster panel would cost around 400 quid alone. Just wondering, everything else I've read people were having problem with speedometers etc but all I've had is the Engine Management light. Do I have to replace the Cluster?? What are the implications if I don't?? He's kept it in over night and going to see again tomorrow anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Richie1991

I have a 1.25 fiesta 2004, lately its stalling all the time and sometimes it stalls at 1500 rpm and backfires if feels like the car is loosing a lot of power when pulling off the only way to pull off is to keep my foot to the floor, the problem doesnt happen when the clutch is pressed in it revs normal, i was told it could be air flow sensor or a coil pack. just wondering does any1 else have this problem????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Clusters do give trouble in the 02-05 Focus but not with the symptoms you describe. I definitely wouldn't give the go ahead for a cluster replacement no matter what the dealer says if I were you. In any case even if the cluster does turn out to be the cause of the problem it should be possible to have it repaired rather than pay for a brand new one. When a car gets to this age you are far better off staying away from the main dealer in my opinion. Any good independent garage should know their way around a 2003 Focus at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Having a similar problem myself. I bought the car(02 Focus) from a reputable garage over 2 years ago but after about a week or 2 I noticed the speedo acting up. I could be doing 100KPH and the speedo would show 30 or 40,conversley I could be just pulling away from lights and the speedo would tell me Im doing 120KPH. Brought it back to dealer and he either repaired or replaced(cant remember)and no probs for a while.
    Around the start of this year the LCD display started to act up-numbers couldnt be read on it properly and it looked for all the world like the display was actually broken but I know this isnt the case cos every once in a while it works perfectly for a few mins then goes back to been unreadable or blank altogether. 2 weeks ago I started to get the EM light come on,maybe for 15 mins then go off and this has happened twice since. Gonna get it serviced either way in the next week or so and see what it reveals,if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

ive had this problem myself ,,this is a know fault with ford focus,s from 00 to 04 i think ...
    watchdog or some other comsumer tv programme done an expose on this problem and the ford dealers in the uk where forced to do a recall and fix the problem after some preasure .. no such luck here im afraid .
    try taking out the dash cluster ,,a simple job .. spray the circut board with switch cleaner and then seal it with a coating of wd40 ..this cured my problem untill i sold the car .
    p.s only spray the back circut board ,,its green with silver solder on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Had the same issue last week with a newly acquired 03 focus. instruments stopped working pins at zero. I took out the cluster cleaned the pcb. Put it back in and now it was worse the indicators stopped working. Dealer quoted 300+ there is a guy in Limerick who fixes them for 80. In the end I picked one up from the breakers worked a treat and total cost was 30 euro! It did instantly double my millage though ;p

By the way taking the cluster out is very easy 7screws and about five minutes. Watch the clip for the cable you to press in a button and push it to the left. Its got a teeth on the clip which pull the connector in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

i can offer you a full repair of your instrument cluster if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Anyone with this fault near Galway then I can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Not saying it's the case in this particular post but analysis of field failure reports in allied industries indicates that in more than 80% of cases, the reported fault is really down to basics, not complex ECU, microP and related sensors and modules.
    That's up to 80 of every 100 'electrical repairs' to autos.

-Battery - rated and suitable for the chassis in question? Esp a diesel.
    -Positive cable condition and terminals? Clean ? No corrosion?
    -Negative cable and ALL related earth straps on the frame /chassis (earth return ground)? Conditon & Corrosion?
    -Lack of ground or high resistance to ground in wiring harnesses that have a dedicated wire returning to a central ground stud?
    -"Pushed Pins" in Molex, Amp and Deutsch WeatherPac connectors?
    -Damaged or pinched harnesses from a previous repair?
    -"tinkering" where a previous garage may have used those notorious "Test bulb and Needle point" test lights jabbing into the individual wires to trace .... death to any modern uP CAN controlled equipment ultimately through the ingress of moisture and subsequent corrosion sets-in copper wiring (green sulphating effect) not to mention immediate risk shorting or bridging circuits inadvertantly.

Basic knowledge - cause or effect, use of DMM or analogue VoltOhmMeter, and understanding of "voltage drop" is still critical to auto industry. Young techs just seem to want to plug in comm cables and read a bunch of codes ,,,, and still proceed to change every sensor and module as unsure as underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ACarDriver

paultronix wrote: »
    i can offer you a full repair of your instrument cluster if interested.
    PaulTronix - just wondering if you are still in a position to fix this problem - Dublin Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ACarDriver

Bought this car for my daughter who is learning to drive. Obviously, a replacemnt unit at cost of €400 isn't an option for a car thats almost 10 years old. A replacement until had been fitted when we purchased but this stopped working within a week of driving. Any help to fix would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Old thread i know but i'm having this issue.

Anybody still able to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

scudzilla wrote: »
    Old thread i know but i'm having this issue.

Anybody still able to fix this?

This is my experinece from a few weeks ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84386758

TLDR: Try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dollygalway

Anyone with this fault near Galway then I can help you out.

I have a 07 Ford Focus and this is happening to me and have been told that the dash insturment needs to be changed. Can you help??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I have a 07 Ford Focus and this is happening to me and have been told that the dash insturment needs to be changed. Can you help??

Did you try disconnecting the battery to reset the system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

People who have replaced the instrument cluster with a non ford garage. What have you done about encoding the new cluster?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 staff1986

Any update on problem/costs of repair dollygalway?

I tried everything but in the end it just had to be replaced. Got a second hand one installed for €400. Ford garage wanted €800 for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

restive wrote: »
    I tried everything but in the end it just had to be replaced. Got a second hand one installed for €400. Ford garage wanted €800 for a new one.

What year/model?

€800? sounds about double what a Ford garage should quote for a new (including re-encoding with the milage of the old cluster).

2nd hand one for €400 ??? Crazy!!

1.8 tdci ford focus 2006. Those were the quotes and I tried different garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigWill

Jesus I think you were totally ripped off, any secondhand place I checked was €50 for 04 dash. They are affected by electrolysis on the printed circuit board. It's not enough to just wipe the back of the board, you must remove the board completely by pulling off the speedo, rev counter and fuel,temp gauge needles and clean off the white powdery deposits of electrolysis with a rag and wd40, it will work perfectly afterwards, done several of them. Gently move all needles fully to the left rest position before removing them and Mark to dials with a pointer, I stick a piece of masking tape and mark the spot with a pencil. You can check your speed with a sat nav lated but remember the sat nav is only displaying the correct speed when you are driving in a perfectly straight line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Mk2 Focus had a different issue with the cluster. It's not just corrosion on the PCB on those.

However they can be repaired for around €100 so €400 was taking the piss in a big way...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigWill

The Mk2 Focus had a different issue with the cluster. It's not just corrosion on the PCB on those.

However they can be repaired for around €100 so €400 was taking the piss in a big way...

Ah ya George D. Didn't see the 2006 bit, absolute rip off for sure, should go back to them and let them know!!

Advertisement