Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worried about my 10 week old Miniature Jack Russell

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I know what it's like to be terrified when your pup is ill and other posters, you are all so quick to talk about death and parvo. Yes it's possible but I think she is upset enough without having to scare her like that...

The op obviously had no idea how serious the situation could (and is likely to) be. She left a young pup overnight and went off about her day after finding bloody diarrhea. She was either not aware of how bad things could be, or she was not terrified about her pup being ill. I'm assuming she was simply not aware of what to keep an eye out for in pups, especially considering the manner in which she acquired the pup.

If people being quick to talk about death and parvo encouraged the op to do what she really should have done as soon as she noticed the problem; then great. When she has a healthy pup back at home I'm sure even the OP will be glad people told her just how serious the situation possibly is. Would it be better if people sat here crossing their fingers for the pup instead of trying to drive home how badly the op's pup needs her right now?

I sincerly hope your pup is ok. Please do let us know how you get on. Parvo can often be a death sentence even if you do get the pup to the vet alive - but you already have a dog so you are likely to have found a vet you'r happy with already. They can pull back from the brink of death (I was basicially told my dog was as good as dead and all he could do is keep him comfortable, he hung on for 2 days on fluids, then early morning on the third day I got a call from a very excited vet telling me he'd just ate some ham)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I know 2 pups who died of parvo even though they had all there vaxs.VET ASAP x

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

You should take him/her to the vet, i'd recommend carey and keane in kilmainham, they're good vets, reasonably priced and seem to care as well which always helps, hope everything turns out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Whispered wrote: »
    then early morning on the third day I got a call from a very excited vet telling me he'd just ate some ham)

Wonderful story Whispered. Great news for your doggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hopefully the op is at the vets at the moment, please do come back and tell us how he is?

I have heard of cases of bloody diahroea turning out to be a simple infection but never the less this is a young pup so this is urgent.
    Someone on here recently said that their fully vaccinated cav died of parvo, so do tell your vet about your other dog.

And in future if your buying another pup, avoid the likes of donedeal and especially avoid meeting someone on the side of the road who talks about making a profit out of a litter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP did you change what the pup was eating by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

Thanks for all the concern guys, at the minute Foxie is pretty good, no blood but still has diarrhea. The vet has said that its most likely her diet as she would probably have still been on her mother just before we got her. We were feeding her puppy biscuits but have been advised to change to wet food and give her plenty of water. Totally relieved that the blood has stopped, it really is horrible to see it come out of something as small and helpless as this wee dog. 57990_172449186110477_100000361914616_436547_3784664_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Ah she's a dote!!

Glad to hear its nothing too serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Beautiful littlel pup! Glad to hear she's ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm delighted to hear it!!

I'm sure the vet has told you how important it is to make sure she is getting fluids when she has diarrhea. Wet food obviously has more liquid than the dry, you could maybe add a bt of water too, to up her intake a bit. If you're giving rice and chicken (recommended for sick dogs as it's easy on the stomach) you can leave an extra bit of water in it. If you've been giving dairy, stop for a while as it can upset their stomach. And I know the vet said it's likely food, but do keep an eye on her, any sign of lethargy, the blood returning or vomiting (esp blood or mucus) and it's time to wake your vet up with a midnight phone call.:)

So glad she's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Yunnie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the concern guys, at the minute Foxie is pretty good, no blood but still has diarrhea. The vet has said that its most likely her diet as she would probably have still been on her mother just before we got her. We were feeding her puppy biscuits but have been advised to change to wet food and give her plenty of water. Totally relieved that the blood has stopped, it really is horrible to see it come out of something as small and helpless as this wee dog. 57990_172449186110477_100000361914616_436547_3784664_n.jpg

Thanks for the update, thank dog it's nothing too serious!

If she's 10 weeks now and you got her a week ago that would've made her 9 weeks when you got her, pups are usually weaned at about 6 weeks (some sooner, some longer) so she shouldn't have been on the bitch when you got her. Maybe the vet meant the change of food from what the breeder was feeding her and what you were feeding her. Did the breeder by any chance say what food she was eating? A sudden change in food can cause an upset tummy.

Did the vet give you hills i/d tins? They are good for dogs with upset tummys until they are feeling better, otherwise a bland food like chicken and brown rice is just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Excellent news! Glad she is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Glad your pup is ok OP, just keep an eye on her water intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

We can see a change in her stools already, shes not going as often and its not as soft, which is great news! She absolutely LOVES the wet food, its so hard not to give in to her cuteness when shes crying for more but i know not to give her huge amounts as she only has a small stomach. When my King Charles was a puppy, he was so easy to manage food wise he ate biscuits and was fine. Ive never had to deal with a sick dog so this is why I may have came across as very slow in responding with this situation and I'm glad for all the advice and concern. I love animals and is so happy people were so concerned about the well being of a pup they dont know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That's great news Yunnie! I'm delighted :)

Please keep the updates coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Great to hear your little pup is doing better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Great news OP on your cute little pup. She is fab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Delighted to hear that OP. It's such a big worry when they are so little and so sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did you contact the breeder?
    where exactly did you buy him?

Advertisement