Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2014, 08:46   #3556
contrary_mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Strange View Post
Mint and peppermint are supposed to dry up milk supply too which is why you're told to avoid peppermint tea etc when breastfeeding.

Sorry to hear you had to give up breastfeeding sooner than you wanted to. I hope you're doing ok and you feel proud that you got this far. It's tough when you have to stop but it's a major achievement to get this far considering constant night feeds, growth spurts etc.
It's further than the majority of mums and babies get.
Thanks. I'll have a cup of peppermint tea with my breakfast as I can't even gold the baby properly this morning with the pain.

Things feel really tough at the moment with sleep deprivation, I'm not sure how much longer I can go on with only a couple of hours sleep a night. He's only 2 months and can stay awake for hours on end and still give me a smile - I've been reading online that the most they can handle is 2 hours awake at a time! Not this guy! But maybe I'm doing it wrong and should try harder to get him to nap during the day?
Advertisement
21-07-2014, 11:20   #3557
How Strange

My son didn't nap either and he'd cat nap for 30-45 mins in the buggy but never at home so we spent a lot of time in the park or shopping centres if it was raining. Unfortunately every baby is different and I used to find it very frustrating to read what he *should* be doing when he was clearly doing the opposite.

Take nurofen for the pain as you're probably inflammed from being enforged. Hand express a little to ease the engorgement as it's not good to get too engorged at this early stage. A hot compress before hand expressing and a cold one after. Be vigilant for any signs of fever as it could indicate blocked ducts or mastitis.

I'd recommend you get in touch with a local ciudiu or la Leche league leader for a chat about how to safely stop feeding. I used to get blocked ducts and mastitis so it's best to chat to an expert about how to avoid both when stopping feeding.
21-07-2014, 11:31   #3558
livinsane

I thought sore nipples were a thing of the early days but between a bad biting phase while cutting the last tooth and maybe lazy latching at night, I am experiencing pain in my right nipple that brings tears to my eyes. It's only when he's latching on thankfully, not bad when he's feeding or any other time. I've dusted off the lansinoh and eyeing up my cabbages in the back garden.

Ode to my right nipple

My right nipple is battered and bruised
Sometimes rejected, sometimes used
He latches on with toe curling pain
Can such a cute baby be to blame

When he feeds from the left, he tweaks the right
Between his fingers with all his might
Sometimes he even takes a bite
And then turns to laugh with sick delight

I fight the temptation to rely on the left
But engorgement and mastitis are a threat
So I soldier on and take the pain
Through clenched teeth and tears like rain*

*exaggeration for rhyming purposes
21-07-2014, 16:22   #3559
kandr10

Hilarious livinsan! I'm just starting to experience the tweaking. Good god!
Contrary Mary - Hope you get settled with the new routine and your health improves.
Sligo - Hope you're doing ok too.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 21:51   #3560
Sligo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrary_mary View Post
Thanks. I'll have a cup of peppermint tea with my breakfast as I can't even gold the baby properly this morning with the pain.

Things feel really tough at the moment with sleep deprivation, I'm not sure how much longer I can go on with only a couple of hours sleep a night. He's only 2 months and can stay awake for hours on end and still give me a smile - I've been reading online that the most they can handle is 2 hours awake at a time! Not this guy! But maybe I'm doing it wrong and should try harder to get him to nap during the day?
MC I hope things have been a bit better for you today?
Advertisement
Yesterday, 21:56   #3561
Sligo1

Hi all, well the little lady has slept through the past 2 nights...wait for it.... WITH NO FORMULA! I'm just giving myself a pat on the back for not giving up . Now I realise I've probably just jinxed myself by posting that...But I may be updating tomorrow saying she was up every second hour tonight.

I have been on antibiotics the past 2 days so I hope it's not that putting her to sleep? Basically she had a small feed from me around 6.30pm the previous 2 nights. Point blank refused her bottle of EBM at 8pm and roared the house down until she fell asleep around 8.30-9pm. Slept through birth nights till morning.
I wonder is the phase over or if it could be the antibiotics....
(3) thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:03   #3562
contrary_mary

Sligo without knowing what you're on I would still think it's highly unlikely they would be making her sleepy. seems like it was just a phase - fingers crossed!

I'm a little better today, I did manage a few broken hours last night but only because I took him into bed with me. He had a few decent naps during the day today because I was out and about so he slept in the car/pram. But he's wide awake now after a 20 minute sleep in his cot, mooching around it and farting! I think my boobs are slightly less sore thank goodness, hopefully they will continue to improve.
Yesterday, 22:08   #3563
Sligo1

I'm glad you're a little better. I hope it gets easier for you. Have you tried putting one of your pillowcases or worn t.shirts on his mattress? This is what I tried the last 2 nights (needs must)... Just a pillow case over her crib mattress and tucked it in so she could smell me (coz she always sleeps great next to me or in my bed)... It could have been a coincidence that she slept.

I hope you're not not too down about the whole things. Must be very upsetting for you.
Today, 06:33   #3564
ncmc

Sligo, well done on sticking to your guns and continuing to BF, it's hard when you're sleep deprived and you don't have the support around you, but hopefully the last week was just a blip and it will be easier from now on. Did the doctor know you were BF when he prescribed the anti biotics? If so, I'm sure they are BF safe and doubt they're making her sleepy. The close, humid weather the last few days is making the babies sleepy I reckon, so that could have been a factor. But hopefully that's you over the hump.

Hope you feel better today Contrary Mary. It's hard to get them to nap if they don't want to. I think that 2 hour thing is rubbish, my LO is awake from 5/6 to 10/11, every night and sometimes has days were she hardly sleeps a wink and then others when she sleeps all day.

My gripe this week is that her latch is getting progressively worse. She used to have a great flared lip latch, but can't get her that fully latched on any more. She's in good form and putting on weight but would love to get a good latch back as I spend the feeds fretting and trying to reposition her. Wonder would a LC help or would I be better saving my money and going to a LLL meeting instead.
Advertisement
Today, 08:21   #3565
contrary_mary

Thanks for the good wishes girls. We had another rough night - he was awake for most of it and anytime he did drop off he'd wake himself with a shock flailing his arms out (startle reflex?). Swaddling might help if it wasn't too hot for it. I find the nights very hard - by 3/4am I felt I was losing my mind. He was never a good sleeper but he had been really bad the last few days and I'm not sure if I blame the heat, the change to formula, or what. He seems to sleep more on me so maybe it's a bit of clinginess after being taken off the breast. Poor wee mite. I'm going to buy a few of those dr brown bottles today and see if they help with the farting situation!
Today, 08:23   #3566
Sligo1

Yep told my gp i was breastfeeding. He said to take the antibiotic and that some may possibly pass into the breastmilk but that they weren't harmful to baby ... Ie. they're not contraindicated in breastfeeding.

I would perhaps try LLL first before a lactation Consultant and see can you sort the latch before handing over €90. Maybe try the LC if you can't get it sorted with LLL? If you're in Dublin I can give you details of 2 very good LCs.
Today, 08:38   #3567
Sligo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrary_mary View Post
Thanks for the good wishes girls. We had another rough night - he was awake for most of it and anytime he did drop off he'd wake himself with a shock flailing his arms out (startle reflex?). Swaddling might help if it wasn't too hot for it. I find the nights very hard - by 3/4am I felt I was losing my mind. He was never a good sleeper but he had been really bad the last few days and I'm not sure if I blame the heat, the change to formula, or what. He seems to sleep more on me so maybe it's a bit of clinginess after being taken off the breast. Poor wee mite. I'm going to buy a few of those dr brown bottles today and see if they help with the farting situation!
O poor you MC . i really hope this wint last too much longer for you. I've been swaddling Lilly the last few nights in a very small light cellular and leaving the window open. Her room is reading 23 but I don't think she'd sleep without being swaddled .
Today, 09:07   #3568
How Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligo1 View Post
O poor you MC . i really hope this wint last too much longer for you. I've been swaddling Lilly the last few nights in a very small light cellular and leaving the window open. Her room is reading 23 but I don't think she'd sleep without being swaddled .
We had the very same problem last summer. She had just a strong startle reflex that she kept waking herself up if she wasn't swaddled but her room was 25oc some nights.
Today, 09:23   #3569
ncmc

Thanks Sligo, I'm in Cork. Will try LLL first and then Claire Boyle if that doesn't help, heard she is excellent.

MC, I've heard of people swaddling in a large muslin cloth, thought that was a good idea as it's so light.
Thanks from:
Today, 09:33   #3570
How Strange

ncmc definitely try your local LLL or Cuidu. The leaders usually have mobile numbers advertised so you can contact them anytime

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion