Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harry Potter books.

• 19-12-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi,my son (4th year secondary school)is looking for a Harry Potter in Irish which he would then translate,his thinking is that this will help his vocab. etc, any ideas where I could pick one up as they seem to be out of print??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

kingchess wrote: »
    Hi,my son (4th year secondary school)is looking for a Harry Potter in Irish which he would then translate,his thinking is that this will help his vocab. etc, any ideas where I could pick one up as they seem to be out of print??

Probably available on litriocht.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

kingchess wrote: »

Harry Potter agus an Órchloch has, unfortunately, been out of print for some years now, although there are second-hand ones going for c. €50 on Amazon here. You'll certainly get a copy through your local library. If they don't have a copy, they will order it from another branch. Dublin City Library, for instance, has 14 copies of Harry Potter agus an Órchloch available today. You can get a password off the library and renew it online for no cost when the loan expires so you don't have to keep going back to the library. There are also helpful online resources like this to help him through the book.

I still think something like Séanna with a cd could be a great alternative for him. It's basically the Irish version of Faust's famous pact with the devil, as written down by Peadar Ó Laoghaire in 1898 (1904 in book form). I bought this abridged version, as read by Liam Ó Muirthile. It was singularly helpful to download the cd to my ipod and listen to it. He could just read the book but I wanted to listen to Irish while driving and when I arrived home I consulted the book if there were parts I didn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Thanks for you reply,that would seem to be a better way as he would have the audio tape as well,(but he really loves MR Potter.) grma.

Advertisement