Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange smell coming from fuse box

• 07-08-2013 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

There's a strange dull, smokey odour coming in waves, every couple of minutes, from the fuse box in the house. It's situated in the living room next to the sofa, so when sitting next to it I get the smell every couple of minutes. It's not very strong but it is noticeable, and began a couple of weeks ago.

It was only today that I really tried to find out where the smell is coming from, and I realised that it's coming from the fuse box. I figure the best thing to do is get an electrician to take a look at it a.s.a.p.

Any ideas what this could be? Should I get an electrician to look at it right now, as in pay for a 24-hour electrician to come out? Also, what do electricians charge these days for call-outs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

Most likely a loose connection alright. Get a registered contractor out to look at it today. He should quote you a price before he calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Randy Bumpy Serpent

Bottom left hand side of the boards should be a trip marked "main switch" or "switched fuse" turn that off and contact a RECI sparks. They'll quote on the phone the call but alot wave the call out charge once your willing too do the works needed straight away and not roll out some line like "oh ill think about it and get back too ya"

Advertisement