Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First year housemates NUIG

• 02-07-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hopefully going to Galway in September to do computer science and looking for both accommodation off campus and some first years to live with? Anyone have any suggestions of where to live or in the same boat themselves? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

First year, same boat, haven't applied anywhere. Willing to share. Brickn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

You should be able to find a place on the accomodation thread come august, always loads of people trying to fill rooms in their houses. Just finished first year CS if you have any questions on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katiekennedy

First year, same boat, haven't applied anywhere. Willing to share. Brickn it.

Yeah I'v been looking about but no luck, If I find any place will I let you know, and vice versa? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

A little off topic but you are in for the greatest 3/4 years of your life! I miss college :(

Gatame wrote: »
    You should be able to find a place on the accomodation thread come august, always loads of people trying to fill rooms in their houses. Just finished first year CS if you have any questions on it..

Thats good to know. was first year good or just were you just learning the bases of everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Thats good to know. was first year good or just were you just learning the bases of everything?

It's pretty soft if you put in a little bit of effort. I have a feeling second year will be a lot different. I'd say the most important thing is trying your absolute hardest in all of the assignments and Continuous assessment, it's easy to skip them for one reason or another but come exam time the people who hadn't done a lot of the continuous assessment were in a bad spot.. and the people who had done all the assignments all year had to do next to nothing for the exams to pass.

Maths is the only subject that I felt I needed to go to the lectures, (I still missed most of them). Try not to miss any computing science or Programming labs they're the two most important things. I barely ever went to any lectures and I felt maths was the only subject I felt I was actually missing out on not going to the lectures. (If you haven't done physics then go to the physics and Electronic engineering lectures).

Maths is 30% for xmas exam, 30% for summer and 40% for CA. Go to the maths tutorials every week because they do the maths assignments and getting a high mark on those assignments will be the difference between passing maths and having a mountain of study to do come exams.

If you have any other specific questions or anybody else doing Computer Science who has any questions about first year you can send me a PM.

I'm from Galway as well so if you have any questions about accommodation or what certain places are like you can give me a shout. Missing out on student accommodation is big though, it's a lot more craic and you make a lot more friends but if you are stuck with private housing make sure you get a house in the right area. Dun na coirbe, Wood Quay, Newcastle Road and a few other places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hopefully going to Galway in September to do computer science and looking for both accommodation off campus and some first years to live with? Anyone have any suggestions of where to live or in the same boat themselves? :)

I'm in the same boat.

I'll fire you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wesleygirlx

Im going into second year and looking for roommates as im trying to move away from student accommodation. Im looking at getting a place in dun na coiribe which is a pretty good location surrounded by student accommodation. I have no problem living with first years so if any of ye are up for living there too give me a shout, I have a house in mind at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

I have a single room free in the private side of Gort na Coiribe if anyone is still looking for a place. Quiet enough apartment since there are two guys living there who are working around Galway so there isn't really much in the way of high noise levels like there would be in the student accommodation places. If anyone wants some more details send me a message and I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tylerdurden123

Yeah I'v been looking about but no luck, If I find any place will I let you know, and vice versa? :)

can i get in on this and ill keep an eye out?

• Advertisement

Hey, Im going searching today in galway, is anyone still interested in sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RonanMF

Just got accepted into NUIG today :D
    I have no accomodation sorted at all and would prefer to live with other first years
    Can't get to Galway today so I don't know what to do :/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

Katie will you post back how you got on? My son got accepted in to NUIG today and I don't know where to even start looking! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sinead190

Hi Katie, I got offered NUIG today and can't seem to get any campus accommodation and would like to share with other first years also. Could you let me know how you get on in Galway today? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I've got an offer from NUIG and have no accommodation sorted. Anyone willing to share and on same boat as me please send me a PM as I would prefer to be with first years. Would rather share with those that are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bay95

Got offered NUIG today and have no accommodation or anyone to share with. If anyone is in the same boat let me know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elisia95

Hey there I'm still looking for a place if you still need house mates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrMan1996

Anyone know any accommodation that'd let me stay til the appeals are back which would be early to mid October?

Advertisement