Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mega **Management Company** thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

cormie wrote:
    ?
    my sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

if you are buying an apt - surly your would buy the top floor. Then there noone to annoy you.

If you are stuck with noisey neighbours then its tough, to sort out (if they are stubborn and are regular offenders), talk the the ppl selling the building - complain a bit, although i dont kown how sympetitic the will be after you have paid he money.
    I dont think apts are insulated that well these day, sure ffs the house im renting i can hear the next door neighbours somtimes -nooone builds proper walls anymore- plasterboard is the future!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

if you are buying an apt - surly your would buy the top floor. Then there noone to annoy you.

That is commonly known as the penthouse and usually costs about an extra €80k to €100k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Not true, I used to live in a top floor apartment and while the others on our floor were ok (they were just relatively quiet), we could hear our louder neighbours from downstairs, especially when they decided to shake the building with some rather loud music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is why i will NEVER buy an apartment... house for me someday soon i hope.
    Terraced houses are not great either as you can hear people but not as bad as apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've moved from a new typical 3 bed semi with to an older 4 bed semi with solid walls and I have to say that the solid wall seems to be worse TBH. Next house will be a detatched one if I can ever afford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yep datached the only way to go. wont get one in dublin for less than 500000+ and not many young people can afford that...........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've spoken to the builder and he's assured me that the corking hasn't been removed and no such problem should exist.
    Then he won't have a problem providing a certificate that the building complies with the building regulations, will he?

That "sounds" like an unacceptable level of noise, you should hear you neighbours occassionally, not constantly.

Talk to the Building Control department in your local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Your apartment block would have been covered either by Homebond or Premier who inspect the development before issuing certs. There will ALWAYS be noise transference in communal units, unless you reinsulate all your walls, have heavy carpeting with a couple of layers of insulation, and walk around in slippers or bare feet.

Unless the developer has a stipulation about permissible floor coverings in the contract, there's not much you can do. However, you should be using the management company to set a limit on acceptable noise (i.e. no loud music after 10pm etc)

Noise transference happens in all houses, unless they are detached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wd

Hi folks

Been out of the country and my managment company appears
    a) not to have given notice of AGMs for last few years
    b) be running up losses, paying the diurectors but not collecting management fees from a significant number of owners
    c) not to have any reserve

anybody with ideas what to do in such circumstances

best

will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wd wrote:
    Hi folks

Been out of the country and my managment company appears
    a) not to have given notice of AGMs for last few years
    b) be running up losses, paying the diurectors but not collecting management fees from a significant number of owners
    c) not to have any reserve

anybody with ideas what to do in such circumstances

best

will

In the first instance bring your dispute to the attention of the Management Company.

If you do not get any success there- check your lease- it probably has a lot of information detailing your obligations to the Management Company, and theirs to both you along with their commitments to the complex.

When you are *certain* of your rights, and their obligations- and have documentary evidence that those obligations are not being followed through on- consult a solicitor.
    If your solicitor agrees with your assessment, you would possibly have grounds for any manner of different legal courses of action.

There is no "standard" management company- they all have different articles of association, detailing the different aspects of their formation and the priorities that were considered relevant when the complex was initially being built.

It is not possible for someone here to give you any advice other than seek professional advice (and without having a copy of your lease, it would also be foolhardy).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

babaduck wrote:
    Your apartment block would have been covered either by Homebond or Premier who inspect the development before issuing certs. There will ALWAYS be noise transference in communal units, unless you reinsulate all your walls, have heavy carpeting with a couple of layers of insulation, and walk around in slippers or bare feet.

Unless the developer has a stipulation about permissible floor coverings in the contract, there's not much you can do. However, you should be using the management company to set a limit on acceptable noise (i.e. no loud music after 10pm etc)

I have just bought an apartment in Grand Canal dock.
    The contract stipulatates that you cannot fit wooden or laminate floors, only carpets. There is a layer of soundproof cork in each apartment, so I reckon that I will be ok when I move in.
    Check your contract, and if it stipulates that no wooden floors are allowed, you could justify forcing the neighbour to remove it and get carpet.

babaduck wrote:
    Yes, but it should be tolerable. A friend bought a timberframed semi-d and I was able to bang on the wall and shout from the neighbouring house and they weren't able to hear on the other side of the wall.

Having lived in both a purpose built apartment and a converted flat, it would be rare for me to be aware of my neighbours. In fact it's the neighbours in the next building cause the most noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Victor wrote:
    Yes, but it should be tolerable. A friend bought a timberframed semi-d and I was able to bang on the wall and shout from the neighbouring house and they weren't able to hear on the other side of the wall.

Having lived in both a purpose built apartment and a converted flat, it would be rare for me to be aware of my neighbours. In fact it's the neighbours in the next building cause the most noise.

I find that hard to believe. Only concrete walls (not brick or block) would be that quiet. Even in a Semi D you can hear the neighbours sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭boy1er1990

Yeah i know how you all feel i bought a appartment

it was a fine one, very cheap, very good room. until i noticed after i bought it
    . it WAS BUILT ON TOP OF A STEEL MILL

GOOD GOD ITS DRIVING ME STEEL MAD WHAT THE ? DID I JUST SAY STEEL?? :confused:

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :mad: BANG BANG BANG

THEN I HEAR " GO ON AHEAD" BANG BANG BANG "WOW STOP STOP"
    THEN ITS ALL BRUMMMM BRUMMM BANG BANG BANG!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!111

I find that hard to believe. Only concrete walls (not brick or block) would be that quiet. Even in a Semi D you can hear the neighbours sometimes.
    The operative word being sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Victor wrote:
    The operative word being sometimes.

Sorry, you've lost me there... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I've lived in severakl types of houses.
    The worst are terraced. Best are well built apartments and old stone built Semi D's (if you can't afford detatched). The walls in these houses are about 2 feet thick. You could drive a tank through next door and not hear it.

My first apartment was in Applewood in Swords and i never ever heard a sound for 2 years.
    I then moved into a new terraced house in Swords Downs and you could hear the neighbours kettle boiling and every word of any conversation they had.

Newly built houses seem to have really really bad sound insulation.

Sorry, you've lost me there... :confused:
    The only time I hear my neighbours within the building are.

(1) Woman next door using her door / keys very early or very late (1-2 times a week).

(2) Couple downstairs having sex (tends to be 1-2am, 2-3 times a week, bed creaks) or cooking loudly (typically 7-8pm).

(3) Woman on ground floor putting out rubbish at midnight (3-4 times a week).

I never hear them otherwise. The original poster indicated constant noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

talk to joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Victor wrote:
    ...I was able to bang on the wall and shout from the neighbouring house and they weren't able to hear on the other side of the wall.

Pardon my curiosity but was there any reason for banging on the wall and shouting? Is there something we should know? ;-)

In my experience of living in multi-unit accomodation, no walls are thick enough to drown out the racket for some of the more antisocial homeowners and tenants in Ireland. And in my experience the worst offenders were all Irish. Lets face it, if you crank the stereo up to 150watts and turn the ground floor into a steel mill, its going to be very difficult to muffle the sounds.

Most friends living in apartment seem to have the same problems, in fact many of them also have problems (even in houses) with plumbing systems that are noisy (pvc piping being the culprit, of air trapped in the pipes causing hammering), underground carparks, bedroom windows facing noisy lanes and streets at night. I've found its often not dependent so much on the building, but on who your neighbours are. I'm lucky enough to live in a development which is mostly retirees and settled couples.

shoegirl wrote:
    Pardon my curiosity but was there any reason for banging on the wall and shouting? Is there something we should know? ;-)
    I was testing the sound proofing. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Move out to the sticks, or go mad!. It's your choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Paddy20 wrote:
    Move out to the sticks, or go mad!. It's your choice :D

Yes please build another windswept one off rural house, try to built it on a high point and don't plant anything, se we can see you mitsubishi pajero silver 3 series

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

Does anyone know a company that will put in more sound insulation after an apartment is built? Surely the government should be looking at having a minimal standard of sound proofing for all apartments, although it's a bit late now

Widget wrote:
    Does anyone know a company that will put in more sound insulation after an apartment is built? Surely the government should be looking at having a minimal standard of sound proofing for all apartments, although it's a bit late now
    It's called the building regulations. Teh problem is enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Hello,

I'm interested is contacting members of management committees in apartments.

This would be to share information about costs and quality of services.

Please PM me if interested. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

You know that it is not that hard to change managment company....
    just have to get the owner commitee organised.
    We have just "sacked" KPM after 2 years.
    During the last EGM, we had a vote of "no confidence" against them and that was it...

So who did you switch to, and how are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Hi flav0rflav,

We switch to Smith Management, they are based in Dunboyne.

Smith Property Management Services
    Walterstown Dunboyne
    (086) 2577678

They are primarely looking after development in Dublin West.
    They have been very good so far but have lots of work to do in ordert o bring the place up to standard.

It is well worth the effort to switch if your current Managment Company is not doing the job properly(if you are using KPM, do the move ASAP...)

Hope this help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hateKPM

What do they need to do to maintain a parking space for gods sake.

With KPM you really have to scare them of the fact that you and your fellow owners WILL fire them if you catch them messing. This really puts manners on them.

Anyway, its all well and good complaining here but you really need to get your group together and then as a unit challenge the management company. Make them cop on.

One thing i pay for in applewood that doesnt happen is window cleaning. I complained about this only to be told that yes they do clean the windows. They dont. My name is written in the dirt on the outside of the window for the last 2 years. They havent been cleaned at all.
    I know this sounds nuts but would anybody be up for protesting outside there offices. They are scum and that would be the only thing I know of that would sort them out.

Advertisement