Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL 2010 Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

muffinz wrote: »
    does anyone know a place where i can find all the experiments in one place online? my physics book has them all split up, and less stress more success sucks ass for experiments, theyre all jumbled :( i just want to find them together, and seeing as my experiments only had 5th year experiments its not that good -.-
    http://www.thealy.com/LCPhysics/exp/exp06/velocity_ticker_desc.htm

http://www.teachnet.ie/tbrophy/pdfs/physics/

best of luck and just do all the experiment questions you can they ALL repeat themselves :):D

Cipango wrote: »
    http://physics.slss.ie/resources/downloads/ph%5Fpr%5Falllistedphysexpr%2Epdf

Also can someone tell me...in physics if you are asked for two reasons for something and you give two and one is wrong, do you get zero for the whole question? That's what my teacher told me!

nope its divided 50/50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Blerdiii wrote: »
    nope its divided 50/50 :)

Thanks, will be a help! Your sure ya? He always said a Wrong answer cancels out a wrong answer

Thanks, will be a help! Your sure ya? He always said a Wrong answer cancels out a wrong answer

ffs how can some people teach!
    no that is utter bull, if you check all the marking schemes the marks are divided so you are awarded the marks like (4x2) look at the marking schemes :) they really help you cut out crap you dont need to save you time , marks always indicate how much/little info required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

http://physics.slss.ie/resources/downloads/ph%5Fpr%5Falllistedphysexpr%2Epdf

Also can someone tell me...in physics if you are asked for two reasons for something and you give two and one is wrong, do you get zero for the whole question? That's what my teacher told me!

is it like that in any subject?:pac:

• Advertisement

Well in fairness it is true for some subjects (such as French or Biology) that if you are asked for 2 items and you give 3 but one is wrong then one of your right answers will be negated. Although that doesn't apply if you give 2 and one is wrong; then you are given half marks as expected. Afaik the former is not the case in Physics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

I think that this years physics exam will have more maths problems in it to make it harder. I know they said they wont change the exam to compensate for the new log tables but these guys have minds of their own!

I think that this years physics exam will have more maths problems in it to make it harder. I know they said they wont change the exam to compensate for the new log tables but these guys have minds of their own!
    Again, while I admit not having to learn off reams of formulae is pretty handy, I still don't agree that it makes the paper significantly easier. It's only ever the very short calculations in parts of Q5 and Q12 that are ever as easy as just plonking values into formulae; for the main calculations you do have to have a good understanding of what's going on and know to use the formulae accordingly.

I think it's a great move by the SEC to give us the formulae because obviously they realise the ability to recall a formula does not automatically mean you'll understand how to use it in the context of a problem. Hence, the learning of the formulae is futile really because whether they give it to you or not you still have to understand the concepts behind it.

And that is why I doubt they'll be making the calculations significantly more difficult than before. But hey, that's just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

It didn't make the maths any harder (IMO it was easier than previous years) so I doubt they will make physics anyharder. If anything there will be more defenitions and derivations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

I'll put a fiver(virtual fiver like :P ) with all boards.ie members that the physics paper will be no different from previous years. Stop worrying about the log tables! :)

So, any solid predictions?

• Advertisement

I'll put a fiver(virtual fiver like :P ) with all boards.ie members that the physics paper will be no different from previous years. Stop worrying about the log tables! :)

So, any solid predictions?
    harmonics and all that jazz on a stretched string !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

i think wer gonna see reationship between acceleration and force cause i dont think thats come up yet.. but then again, whos knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Is it alright to derive the equations of motion using calculus for the LC? It just seems a lot more logical and less memory work so it could be handy seeing as we're gonna be getting so many of these derivations (apparently).

Like is this ok for s = ut + 1/2(at^2)

let v = u + at .... u and are constant

ds/dt = u + at

ds = u.dt + at.dt

(integral)ds = (integral)u.dt + (integral)at.dt

s = ut + (1/2)at^2 + C

s = 0 when t = 0

=> C = 0

=> s = ut + .5 at^2

Would they accept that?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

I was just wondering what do solutions on examinations.ie mean by this e.g.....define magnetic flux φ = BA and notation......whats the notation ??

You have to explain what the symbols mean.

And yeah, I think you can use calculus to derive the formulae.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Is it alright to derive the equations of motion using calculus for the LC? It just seems a lot more logical and less memory work so it could be handy seeing as we're gonna be getting so many of these derivations (apparently).

Like is this ok for s = ut + 1/2(at^2)

let v = u + at .... u and are constant

ds/dt = u + at

ds = u.dt + at.dt

(integral)ds = (integral)u.dt + (integral)at.dt

s = ut + (1/2)at^2 + C

s = 0 when t = 0

=> C = 0

=> s = ut + .5 at^2

Would they accept that?

I'm actually wondering the same thing.
    Although you should start with a = dv/dt and work backwards from there. You'd also have to explain every step you take because most examiners wont have seen it before.

trepasers wrote: »
    I was just wondering what do solutions on examinations.ie mean by this e.g.....define magnetic flux φ = BA and notation......whats the notation ??

Notation means:
    φ = magnetic flux
    B = magnetic flux density
    A = Area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

accordinng to my physics teacher his best student ever done derivations that way and got no marks..you gotta prove them using the laws of physics innit!:D

laws of physics and laws of maths aint the same thing (apparently :P)

accordinng to my physics teacher his best student ever done derivations that way and got no marks..you gotta prove them using the laws of physics innit!:D

laws of physics and laws of maths aint the same thing (apparently :P)

Using Calculus was probably the way Newton derived them in the first place.

It's defined in the physics book, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time.
    Basically, a = dv/dt. Work from there.
    You're still using "laws of maths" the other way, you're using algebra. It should be up to you to decide which "tool" you use to do the same job.

Besides, in my book, Faraday's Law is written as E = d(phi)/dt.

Maths & physics use the same language. You can use calculus, but it may just be safer not to just incase the marking scheme is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

I'm just saying what happened....
    go one do it if you want infact i dareee ya

Maths & physics use the same language. You can use calculus, but it may just be safer not to just incase the marking scheme is funny.

completely agree , they can always alter the marking scheme to make up for how easy our lives have been made :P
    better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

He he glad to be of help!

that site is actually a godsend!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Blerdiii wrote: »
    completely agree , they can always alter the marking scheme to make up for how easy our lives have been made :P
    better safe than sorry!

And then there'll always be an examiner who takes the marking scheme as gospel so even if you are technically right, you get no marks because its not word for word the marking scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

right so im a bit confused. doing the variation of current with p.d, what does the graph have to be? do u put I on the Y, V on the x, or do u have to do those stupid things like putting it 1/V instead of just V etc?

Aoiferz wrote: »
    And then there'll always be an examiner who takes the marking scheme as gospel so even if you are technically right, you get no marks because its not word for word the marking scheme.

i like to imagine i have an examiner like some people i know have been, see you are an a1 student and leave off some slips to help you XD
    ( and yes i do know examiners who have done that ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

In the interests of not having to make a whole new thread, how hard is physics? I know thats a very subjective question, but is it like Geography where you just read the book and learn it or like maths where you actually have to understand whats going on? Because I chose it for 5th year and now I'm like omg what have I done. :P I got an A at hl maths last year for the JC, will that make it any easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I am so failing this tomorrow =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

muffinz wrote: »
    right so im a bit confused. doing the variation of current with p.d, what does the graph have to be? do u put I on the Y, V on the x, or do u have to do those stupid things like putting it 1/V instead of just V etc?

for all the variation of current with p.d. the current (I) always goes on the Y axis and the p.d. goes on the X axis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I have now given up all pretense of study. I managed to scrape a B in testing myself with the 2005 and 2007 papers, so that's what I can hope for.

Advertisement