Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Kirby wrote: »
    interesting response, but it just highlights the problems BT has.

Nearly all of your rebuttals are in the realm of "if the user does this" or "when the user configures it correctly" and "private servers..." etc etc.
    At the end of the day, if most users cant operate it correctly as you have admitted, it IS the fault of the protocol, not the user.

Thats because linux is difficult to use. Most Linux users are complete posers....who run it for "cool" points with their mates but then still dual boot windows when they actually want to DO something.

This is completely crazy logic. Its like removing traffic lights from the road network and then saying its the fault of the user for crashing their car. Its the protocols fault for not enforcing the traffic lights. Weird analogy maybe, but i think its pretty apt. You claim that the problem with bittorrent....is its users. Think about that comment for a moment tbh. "The trouble with Scotland, is that its full of scots."

Anyway, this is just my opinion and its nice to see other peoples take on the subject. Just seems to me alot of people have issues with throttling, ports, speeds etc with bittorrent. Seems like these people would be happier with other methods.

I think we are discussing this from two very differant viewpoints. If You want a pay to leech service that will give decent speed and no obligation to seed back what you give then rapidshare is for you.

if on the other hand, you want the fastest possible speeds, faster pre-times, no cost and are willing to use your upload bandwidth to give back then bittorrent is for you. Apparent security advantages apply here aswell(time will tell on this!)

Oversimplified? possibly, But i think we need to build this discussion further only if we acknowledge that differant users have differant needs (and restraints) and that the protocol chosen is largely dictated by these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

david7536 wrote: »
    Joseph, im sorry but, you have just shown that you have not investigated the possibilities of bittorrent sites fully if you think people are in for a shock as regards speed. There are 100s of bittorrent sites, some fully private, some semi-private that will easily max out a 100mbit connection, never mind a 24mbit one. I have a gigabit server which will frequently get in excess of 50mb/s (50,000kbit/s) down on topsites and 20-30mb/s down on semi-private sites...I am unfamiliar with the possible speeds attainable with rapidshare, please fill me in?

Where can you get 100mb broadband in Ireland? And even if you did have 100mb its all based on your upload speed, (not to mention no. of seeds, peers etc) The latest 7.6mb and 24mb lines only have an upload bandwidth of 800kb, so you're only ever going to get a fraction of your downlod capacity with that fraction being less with the 24mb line.

What I'm talking about is old school straight forward downloading. Where your download speed is based on the upload bandwidth of the server you are downloading from and your own download bandwidth.

Try downloading a linux iso off HEAnet and compare your speeds to bittorrent.

Privarte trackers do improve your speeds but what does it say about the protocol when people have to be forced into obeying the ettiquette in order for it to work? Its also misleading to say your download speed is the time it takes you to download something. When you have to wait days (weeks even depending on the file size) until you've finished seeding before you can download something else.

I don't want to bittorrent bash here, as I've said its what I use purely for content and decentralisation. but lets not hype it up and make it out to be something its not.

hopefully it will be taken that step further and truely become the mother of all protocols. Its unlikely as its been 6 or 7 years already and no improvements of any great scale.

• Where can you get 100mb broadband in Ireland? And even if you did have 100mb its all based on your upload speed, (not to mention no. of seeds, peers etc) The latest 7.6mb and 24mb lines only have an upload bandwidth of 800kb, so you're only ever going to get a fraction of your downlod capacity with that fraction being less with the 24mb line.

What I'm talking about is old school straight forward downloading. Where your download speed is based on the server you are downloading from and your download bandwidth.

Try downloading a linux iso off HEAnet and compare your speeds to bittorrent.

Privarte trackers do improve your speeds but what does it say about the protocol when people have to be forced into obeying the ettiquette in order for it to work? Its also misleading to say your download speed is the time it takes you to download something. When you have to wait days (weeks even depending on the file size) until you've finished uploading before you can download something else.

I have 100mbit at work, and it is widely available in cities if you have the cash. That was used to show the possible speeds and not the real world expectation of Joe Bloggs.

You are way off on the fractions of downloads comment, bittorent download speed is not inversely proportional to the speed at which you upload but has been shown to be more influenced by the upload speed and availability of the file within the entire swarm.

Linux iso: on work 100mbit: 1.7mb/s
    Well seeded torrent off tl: 9.4mb/s
    You have helped me prove my point, as regards speed at least...

We are back to the arguement of which protocol suits users best, those willing to donate upload bandwidth will find benefits in bt while those willing to risk a less secure, pay to leach service may find rapidshare to be better for them.

you have misrepresented yourself by stating "Its also misleading to say your download speed is the time it takes you to download something. When you have to wait days (weeks even depending on the file size) until you've finished uploading before you can download something else."

The download speed is exactly that for me upload from a seedbox for a week and you have a good enough ratio to keep you going for at least a year of heavy downloading.
    While this may be outside the realm of some users it brings us back to the question of which protocol suits which user given his or her restraints whether they be technical knowledge or just the time needed to set it up properly.

If you want the best possible speed, security and availabilty and are willing to invest some time to set this up then you can reap the benefits of bittorrent as a scalable protocol which will provide faster speeds based on the input of the swarm.

If you are happy to pay for a unencrypted direct download for a fee then probably you should look at rapidshare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm tempted to sign on for rapidshare for a month to see what the craic is, it's only 6.99

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The latest 7.6mb and 24mb lines only have an upload bandwidth of 800kb, so you're only ever going to get a fraction of your downlod capacity with that fraction being less with the 24mb line.
    They have 1mbps up. We actually had an argument about it before.
    Privarte trackers do improve your speeds but what does it say about the protocol when people have to be forced into obeying the ettiquette in order for it to work?
    You wouldnt be downloading anything if nobody followed ettiquette. You are only able to download torrents in the first place because people seed after downloading.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    They have 1mbps up. We actually had an argument about it before.

You won't get 1mb, max you'll get is 800kb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You won't get 1mb, max you'll get is 800mb.
    I'd be very happy with 800mb ;)

• jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'd be very happy with 800mb ;)

Lol, as would i!

I have 100mbit at work, and it is widely available in cities if you have the cash. That was used to show the possible speeds and not the real world expectation of Joe Bloggs.

You are way off on the fractions of downloads comment, bittorent download speed is not inversely proportional to the speed at which you upload but has been shown to be more influenced by the upload speed and availability of the file within the entire swarm.

Linux iso: on work 100mbit: 1.7mb/s
    Well seeded torrent off tl: 9.4mb/s
    You have helped me prove my point, as regards speed at least...

We are back to the arguement of which protocol suits users best, those willing to donate upload bandwidth will find benefits in bt while those willing to risk a less secure, pay to leach service may find rapidshare to be better for them.

you have misrepresented yourself by stating "Its also misleading to say your download speed is the time it takes you to download something. When you have to wait days (weeks even depending on the file size) until you've finished uploading before you can download something else."

The download speed is exactly that for me upload from a seedbox for a week and you have a good enough ratio to keep you going for at least a year of heavy downloading.
    While this may be outside the realm of some users it brings us back to the question of which protocol suits which user given his or her restraints whether they be technical knowledge or just the time needed to set it up properly.

If you want the best possible speed, security and availabilty and are willing to invest some time to set this up then you can reap the benefits of bittorrent as a scalable protocol which will provide faster speeds based on the input of the swarm.

If you are happy to pay for a unencrypted direct download for a fee then probably you should look at rapidshare.

OK I see your point. If you have a super fast connection bittorrent is the way to go. You'll find very few servers that will offer enough bandwidth to max out a 100mb line. For us lowly peasants on 7.6mb/1mb lines good old fashioned servers are the way to go.
    You are way off on the fractions of downloads comment
    I never gave the ratio as I don't know it, I don't think anyone does do they? What I'm saying is the more you upload, the more you'll be able to download. And I don't mean private tracker rules I mean within the protocol itself. I can only speak for 7.6mb line but I have yet to max it out or even come close. approx 200kb is the max I've seen. For HD content (which have less seeds and peers) you're talking 40kb-100kb.

I have yet to max it out or even come close. approx 200kb is the max I've seen. For HD content (which have less seeds and peers) you're talking 40kb-100kb.
    You are using the wrong torrents so.. Get a properly seeded torrent and it will max any connection out.

• Advertisement

You are using the wrong torrents so.. Get a properly seeded torrent and it will max any connection out.

yep....it all depends.

yep....it all depends.

You have effectively proved yourself wrong. The problem is with the torrent you have been downloading, not with the protocol itself.

You have effectively proved yourself wrong. The problem is with the torrent you have been downloading, not with the protocol itself.

No I have not proved myself wrong. You have proved you do not understand the technology. Here I go repeating myself. The protocol is seeders/leechers/ratios/upload speeds/max no. of connections blah blah blah and likewise you need your peers to have the same decent parameters. That IS the protocol and all my point is is that it is inherently flawed and you've done nothing to argue otherwise except to say "well I get good speeds".

No I have not proved myself wrong. You have proved you do not understand the technology. Here I go repeating myself. The protocol is seeders/leechers/ratios/upload speeds/max no. of connections blah blah blah and likewise you need your peers to have the same decent parameters. That IS the protocol and all my point is is that it is inherently flawed and you've done nothing to argue otherwise except to say "well I get good speeds".
    Ok. How do you plan to distribute a file to the mass without having it centrally hosted but allowing people to only to download and not bother sharing? I doubt you have an answer. If you had, you would be quite rich and famous i'd say.

Bittorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol.

Ok. How do you plan to distribute a file to the mass without having it centrally hosted but allowing people to only to download and not bother sharing? I doubt you have an answer. If you had, you would be quite rich and famous i'd say.

Bittorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol.

Thats got nothing to do with what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think we are discussing this from two very differant viewpoints. If You want a pay to leech service that will give decent speed and no obligation to seed back what you give then rapidshare is for you.

if on the other hand, you want the fastest possible speeds, faster pre-times, no cost and are willing to use your upload bandwidth to give back then bittorrent is for you. Apparent security advantages apply here aswell(time will tell on this!)

You are showing your bias and lack of knowledge on the subject here. You refer to rapidshare services as "decent speed" while bittorrent "fastest possible speed". This is waffle mate. Nobody gets their max speed on public torrents. Rapidshare, filefactory, netload, megauplaod etc. type services offer you max download speed capability...for every file, 100% of the time. If you are going to discuss a topic, please have some common sense and leave the hyperbole at home.

These services are free to users who upload and contribute to the network. If you only want to download, then fine. You pay for 6.99 a month and download away at your full speed. However if you upload files and they are popular, you dont pay anything. Therefore it is in peoples own interest to share files and help content grow.

The bittorrent community isn't even a community. You have small groups hoarding files and limiting membership and users who just look out for themselves.... If you visit a file sharing forum you will see public members posting files, requesting files, friendly discussions etc. everywhere.

• Kirby wrote: »
    You are showing your bias and lack of knowledge on the subject here. You refer to rapidshare services as "decent speed" while bittorrent "fastest possible speed". This is waffle mate. Nobody gets their max speed on public torrents. Rapidshare, filefactory, netload, megauplaod etc. type services offer you max download speed capability...for every file, 100% of the time. If you are going to discuss a topic, please have some common sense and leave the hyperbole at home.

These services are free to users who upload and contribute to the network. If you only want to download, then fine. You pay for 6.99 a month and download away at your full speed. However if you upload files and they are popular, you dont pay anything. Therefore it is in peoples own interest to share files and help content grow.

The bittorrent community isn't even a community. You have small groups hoarding files and limiting membership and users who just look out for themselves.... If you visit a file sharing forum you will see public members posting files, requesting files, friendly discussions etc. everywhere.

Bittorrent is as fast as the swarm, this means that it is potentially capable of maxing out even gbit/s connections. As i posted earlier i have seen 50mb/s on some sites (half the potential of a gigbait connection, this is a server hosted outside ireland before anyone asks!).This is not to say all users have access to this but to make the point that bittorrent has the potential to have unlimited speed.

What i have said is in no way waffle of hyperbole, it is fact. Rapidshare, filefactory, netload, megauplaod are all only as fast as the server they are hosted on, the majority being 100mbit and some gigabit but remember this is shared between multiple downloaders at any one time. You say they max out your connection 100% of the time? Great, but what is your connection speed? And how is this a counter to my arguement that bittorent can deliver the fastest possible speeds?

You never pay with bittorrent, if you wish to upload and share (as many do, how else do the files get shared?!) you can, thus sharing to the whole community . You think storing files on single servers is a more efficient or less selfish way of distributing than to have it on 100s or thousands of hosts worldwide, think again!

As for your comments on community, well, i cannot even begin to say how wrong that comment is, it does show your glaring lack of familiarity with private sites, topsites and there links to "the scene" (where the vast majority of P2P files are stolen from).

i cant discuss further as am travelling until next week, thanks to all for there input. Maybe a member of a scene group, or topsite admin or some rapidshare or usenet personnel will arrive and help close out this one!!!!

Bittorrent is as fast as the swarm, this means that it is potentially capable of maxing out even gbit/s connections. As i posted earlier i have seen 50mb/s on some sites (half the potential of a gigbait connection, this is a server hosted outside ireland before anyone asks!).This is not to say all users have access to this but to make the point that bittorrent has the potential to have unlimited speed.

What i have said is in no way waffle of hyperbole, it is fact.

You are referring to potential speed, but it isnt real-world speed. No residential user has access to lines that can download 50mbs. Most people around the world are on 8 meg connections. Some lucky people have more, in the range of 20 meg....some have less. You can wax lyrical about "potential this" and potential that, but the public dont achieve THEIR own max speeds with most torrents. Eircom has huge market share in Ireland and most people are struggling to hit over 3 meg lines.....as the 160 thread page in this forum attests to.

And you were using hyperbole....here is a quote from your post :
    If You want a pay to leech service that will give decent speed and no obligation to seed back what you give then rapidshare is for you.

if on the other hand, you want the fastest possible speeds, faster pre-times, no cost then bittorrent is for you.

This is the definition of hyperbole mate. It almost sounds like a sales pitch.

There IS obligation to upload with RS type services. You get free access. So that comment was wrong. You refferred to these services as "decent speed" which is nonsense, everybody using them gets their maximum possible speed on there line. You also state that BT is free where as rapidshare is not. Torrents are free for selfish and generous people equally....where as selfish people pay for rapidshare, megaupload etc. and if you seed a couple files, you get it for free.

And I dont even know what you mean by "pre-time" to be honest. Files show up just as fast on rs as they do with torrents....and the difference is that a year later, the rs file still exists. the torrent doesn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bittorrent was designed to give maximum speed to a high amount of users when compared to a normal web server which would likely die if massive amount of users connect to it,

In affect the slashdot affect would kill a http/ftp server but would be of great benefit to a file shared via bitorrent

from wikipedia:
    Advantages of P2P networks

An important goal in P2P networks is that all clients provide resources, including bandwidth, storage space, and computing power. Thus, as nodes arrive and demand on the system increases, the total capacity of the system also increases. This is not true of a client-server architecture with a fixed set of servers, in which adding more clients could mean slower data transfer for all users.

The distributed nature of P2P networks also increases robustness in case of failures by replicating data over multiple peers, and -- in pure P2P systems -- by enabling peers to find the data without relying on a centralized index server. In the latter case, there is no single point of failure in the system.[1]

Whats common when it comes to people seeding content on bittorrent is for the content to be seeded from one or more deadicated server running on a 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1000Mbps uplink and as such is able to serve the files out at very fast speeds, as more users join this only gets faster as they seed and as such is easily able to max out the vast majority of available internet connections for users.

The long an short is bittorrent is suitable for a large file to be served to alot of users, rapidshare and the likes serve there jobs too but you have to pay for decent speeds and it may not be as fast.

Which is why, as I previously said in another post, I respect the idea of BitTorrent in its theory format. But I just dont see these supposed great results when its put to use. It's performing a long way under its potential as is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kirby wrote: »
    Which is why, as I previously said in another post, I respect the idea of BitTorrent in its theory format. But I just dont see these supposed great results when its put to use. It's performing a long way under its potential as is.

This however is not down to the protocol and instead is down to how certain users use it, the speeds are there if people use it correctly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'll tell you one thing, it's possible to max out any upload limit in bt, set it to no limit and you will be maxed out in seconds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

MooseJam wrote: »
    I'll tell you one thing, it's possible to max out any upload limit in bt, set it to no limit and you will be maxed out in seconds :)

If there are poeple that want it yeah, but your client can be blocked by the tracker, same with your isp. Same for throtteling. Bitcommet and its superseeding for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Couldn't see this mentioned in the thread anywhere, but, utorrent 1.8 will limit your max download speed to x10 of your upload max,
    if your max upload is limited to 3k or below i.e. (presuming only one active torrent)

Max upload per torrent of 2k --> max download 20k
    Max upload per torrent of 3k --> max download 30k

Set max upload to 4k to unlimit your download i.e.
    Max upload per torrent is 4K --> download at line capacity (3Mb bb would get ~330K/s)

Check it out using any of the Ubuntu torrents, set the limit to 3k, you'll only get ~30k down,
    set the upload limit to 4k, full speed ahead Scotty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

So an anyone help me get DC++ working on my Chorus 10mb connection with Netgear router...?

So an anyone help me get DC++ working on my Chorus 10mb connection with Netgear router...?

That is far too vague.. What have you tried. What is not working etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

You gotta stick in your IP everytime and make sure the relevant ports are forwarded and you are in active mode...

For a solution to the IP annoyance you can create a profile on http://www.no-ip.com/. Have the application running in your taskbar, with the relevant noip address in revconnect.

Edit: use revconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

has anyone elses torrents went to shiit since they were upgraded?

mine were great when i was on 3 meg

now im on 7.6 i can hardly torrent at all

the speeds are just crawling

have eircom started throttling torrents during peak hours?

i noticed after midnight last night my torrents got a hell of a lot faster

and were ok this morning but gone to **** again now

anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

It would be best to download ubuntu or something on torrents to get the full picture on speeds. Or throw on a heap of torrents with loads of seeds and cancel them after.

Anyway noones seeding anymore. Only decent speeds are on strict private servers.
    Did you increase your upload cap in utorrent after the upgrade? If so, this could be the throttle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i have tried downloading torrents with 15,000+ seeds and also tried increasing the upload at various intervals but it doesnt seem to be working

my old 3 meg connection used to have the upload set at 10KB and it used to max out the line at over 300KBPS

now at the same setting of 10KB i cant get over 120KBS

have tried changing the upload to 20,30,40 50 and even unlimited uploads and the download speeds do not increase and sometimes even decrease

ports are forwarded properly and working so thats not the problem

Advertisement