Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tribes: Ascend

• 02-03-2012 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭

Anybody playing this? I think it has just been opened up to general public now and its completely free. It can be a lot of fun. Although I'm fairly sick of playing with complete randomers due to the lack of dedicated servers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its pretty damn awesome alrite. They're putting a lot of work into it.. also, i wasn't aware they hadn't got dedicated servers ? I thought they were using a match making system like cs:go, which hasn't got a server browser (Yet, it'll be in the final game) but the games are run on actual servers and not on a p2p system. shame if they don't add it in.

Either way its still awesome fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It has to have dedicated servers, maybe just no server browser. That's two different things.

Total biscuit is raving about this game, though I don't know if I like it that much. Though free to play is a winner in my books, I will defenetly atleast try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

People are posting about this all the time on another forum but i never see it discussed here or in general. Apparently its pretty tough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very average tbh,not a patch on other similar games of old.

I know TB is all wet about this game and saying its a come back of old fast fps, but to be honest I can't find it appealing. I am not a fan of shooting between pixels. It's like a flee shooter. Distances are huge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

played the beta a bit, looked alright

it's trying to carve out a niche for itself as an esport too, the north american star league (nasl.. or nasal if you really want to annoy the people that work there) has picked it up for its next season. be interesting to watch I think, although given that it's so new I doubt the quality of play will be fantastic

Dcully wrote: »
    Very average tbh,not a patch on other similar games of old.

Average me hole lol. What games of old are you comparing it too (Because its pretty good compared to the orginal tribes games.. and its only in beta, that is being updated constantly atm) ?

Not for everyone shadow, requires a good bit more practice than the typical cod game thats for sure.. generally you don't be shooting at people when they're that far away tho.. least not with the spinfuser or similar type of gun.

Maps are huge (Its tribes....) but it never takes long to get in the actual once you get used to going fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know of the Tribes franchise but never got to play any of the games. Might try this one out for the weekend.

Magill wrote: »
    Average me hole lol. What games of old are you comparing it too (Because its pretty good compared to the orginal tribes games.. and its only in beta, that is being updated constantly atm) ?

Compared to Tribes and all of of the UT and Quake titles.
    Its very average, nothing special at all imo and certainly far from damn awesome as you suggest,awesome "me hole" :P

Not for everyone shadow, requires a good bit more practice than the typical cod game thats for sure.. generally you don't be shooting at people when they're that far away tho.. least not with the spinfuser or similar type of gun.

Maps are huge (Its tribes....) but it never takes long to get in the actual once you get used to going fast.

Well I am not a cod fan... I loved unreal tournament and quake games. And those are prety much fast type games, but with proper opponents. Wheres in tribes it's like shooting flees with a pea shooter. If they would not have those arrows over head I doubt you could even see them most of the time.
    I will still give it a go, but from footage I am not a fan so far. I don't really know what sort of competitive game it can be. You can't organise much in here tactics wise, it's just the ones who have better aim will win. No point in teams ,it might aswell be free for all competitive game.

• Advertisement

Its very average, nothing special at all imo and certainly far from damn awesome as you suggest,awesome "me hole" :P

How exactly does it not stack up to orginal tribes games ? Its practically the same damn game, plus some new weapons, upgraded graphics and new gamemodes... to me your coming across as someone who hasn't or barely played the orginals when you say that. Comparing it to UT or quake is stupid, thats like comparing CS and BF... From someone who actually played the orginal tribes and tribes2 competitively (More than the odd public game here and there), its definately better than "Very average".
    Well I am not a cod fan... I loved unreal tournament and quake games. And those are prety much fast type games, but with proper opponents. Wheres in tribes it's like shooting flees with a pea shooter. If they would not have those arrows over head I doubt you could even see them most of the time.
    I will still give it a go, but from footage I am not a fan so far. I don't really know what sort of competitive game it can be. You can't organise much in here tactics wise, it's just the ones who have better aim will win. No point in teams ,it might aswell be free for all competitive game.

Its a different type of game, and trust me, its nothing like shooting flees with a pea shooter.. its all about splash damage and prediction, anyone with decent aim and who can use a rocket launcher in quake/UT will be able to kill people no problem in tribes. If your just watching TB's videos.. know that he is what most would consider... a noob... he makes it look harder than it is.. or at least as hard as a newbie to the game/genre would find it. Competitively it was great fun, i think theres still people playing tribes 2 in leagues and ****, or at least they were up to a few years ago.

Give it a bash anyway pal, you mightn't like it, or you might love it.. its certainly something different from the usual types of shooters about.

How exactly does it not stack up to orginal tribes games ?

Where exactly did i say it didnt ? :rolleyes:

Ill refresh your memory for you, I said is its very average,nothing about it didnt stack up.
    Your response suggests im condemning the game [which im not].
    to me your coming across as someone who hasn't or barely played the orginals when you say that.

LOL just LOL
    From someone who actually played the orginal tribes and tribes2 competitively (More than the odd public game here and there), its definately better than "Very average".

I played both to death, your not the only one to have played them or other games competitively.
    Comparing it to UT or quake is stupid, thats like comparing CS and BF...

What a ridiculous statement, CS and BF are totally different games.
    Tribes is very like UT and Quake in terms of twitch fast paced gameplay.
    The most recent UT games look just as good and play better imo hence why in my opinion its an average,enjoyable enough but IMO its not amazing, each to their own and all that.
    Forgive me for having an opinion thats different to yours.

Where exactly did i say it didnt ? :rolleyes:

Ill refresh your memory for you, I said is its very average,nothing about it didnt stack up.
    Your response suggests im condemning the game [which im not].

huh ?

Compared/stackup.. same thing.

I played both to death, your not the only one to have played them or other games competitively.

Tell me whats different then ? I honestly don't get how someone who "played both to death" thinks its in someway inferior to the original games.

What a ridiculous statement, CS and BF are totally different games.
    Tribes is very like UT and Quake in terms of twitch fast paced gameplay.
    The most recent UT games look just as good and play better imo hence why in my opinion its an average,enjoyable enough but IMO its not amazing, each to their own and all that.

JUST LOOOOOOOL... im sorry but im calling you on that, you clearly have played very little tribes.. or UT/Quake.. if you think they're very alike. The only thing that is similar is that the rocket launcher is kinda like the spinfuser.. and the railgun is kinda like the sniper.. duh. CS + BF are similar in that they're both kinda slow paced and tactical... in other words.. they're not comparable at all.

I have no problem with you thinking its an average game (Opinions and all) but at least know what your talking about first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Yeah sorry I was referring to the lack of server browser. I hate the way this style of interface has become the norm for FPS's. I'll try my hardest not to blame COD for that...
    Wheres in tribes it's like shooting flees with a pea shooter. If they would not have those arrows over head I doubt you could even see them most of the time.

I got turned off the original tribes for this exact reason. I felt impossible to hit a target moving that fast with a bloody disc launcher! It was like being stuck with the ripper from UT all the time. You get past that fairly quickly and it's incredibly satisfying when you get better and make some ridiculous shots.

I must say you argument falls completely on its face here. You haven't even played it. To think there can be no tactics involved is simply wrong.

I'd highly recommend trying the CTF and trying to grab the flag. This music comes in when you have it and really gets the adrenaline going as your running away from 5 odd enemies gunning for your blood. It's been a long time since a feature in a game can stir those kind of emotions every time.

Here's a little clip that might show some of the more tactical/skillful parts of the game. I've made a kill like the last one once. God damn was I happy

Tell me whats different then ? I honestly don't get how someone who "played both to death" thinks its in someway inferior to the original games.

Yet again you seem to think i said its inferior.
    Let me spell it out for you . FFS READ WHAT I SAID, i said its an average game in the grand scheme of gaming.
    I never said it was inferior in any way to T1 or T2.
    Yes its a better game that tribes 1 or 2, this i do not disagree with , yet you seem hung up on this point.
    JUST LOOOOOOOL... im sorry but im calling you on that, you clearly have played very little tribes.. or UT/Quake.. if you think they're very alike. The only thing that is similar is that the rocket launcher is kinda like the spinfuser.. and the railgun is kinda like the sniper.. duh. CS + BF are similar in that they're both kinda slow paced and tactical... in other words.. they're not comparable at all.

I have no problem with you thinking its an average game (Opinions and all) but at least know what your talking about first.

Quit your patronising condescending bull****e will you.
    I know full well what im talking about.
    Ive played all the mentioned games and ran servers for them, quite often with guys from here on boards.
    Im saying Tribes is similar to UT and Quake purely on its fast paced gameplay nothing more nothing less.
    I fail to see why your getting into such a huff over someones opinion.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Yeah sorry I was referring to the lack of server browser. I hate the way this style of interface has become the norm for FPS's. I'll try my hardest not to blame COD for that...

I got turned off the original tribes for this exact reason. I felt impossible to hit a target moving that fast with a bloody disc launcher! It was like being stuck with the ripper from UT all the time. You get past that fairly quickly and it's incredibly satisfying when you get better and make some ridiculous shots.

I must say you argument falls completely on its face here. You haven't even played it. To think there can be no tactics involved is simply wrong.

I'd highly recommend trying the CTF and trying to grab the flag. This music comes in when you have it and really gets the adrenaline going as your running away from 5 odd enemies gunning for your blood. It's been a long time since a feature in a game can stir those kind of emotions every time.

Here's a little clip that might show some of the more tactical/skillful parts of the game. I've made a kill like the last one once. God damn was I happy

CTF is indeed a lot of fun.

I've made a kill like the last one once. God damn was I happy

Hitting those huge long range shots are awesome.

Im sure they'll have a server browser at full release, they want it to be a competitive game so they'd have to. Probably don't want people setting up their own servers for the beta tho !

Hopefully they sort out a demo'ing feature. Really hate to get some awesome spinfuser shots or flag caps and not beable to record em !

Yet again you seem to think i said its inferior.
    Let me spell it out for you . FFS READ WHAT I SAID, i said its an average game in the grand scheme of gaming.
    I never said it was inferior in any way to T1 or T2.
    Yes its a better game that tribes 1 or 2, this i do not disagree with , yet you seem hung up on this point.

I bloody quoted what you said mate ! You asked me too... what else do you want me to say.. or did you just want me to ignore your question... jesus.. its a discussion board, don't post something if you don't like people replying to you.

You said compared to the orginal tribes / ut / quake.. its a very average game... then you go ahead and completely contradict yourself with the above quote.. unless you think all those games are average.

Quit your patronising condescending bull****e will you.
    I know full well what im talking about.
    Ive played all the mentioned games and ran servers for them, quite often with guys from here on boards.
    Im saying Tribes is similar to UT and Quake purely on its fast paced gameplay nothing more nothing less.
    I fail to see why your getting into such a huff over someones opinion.

your the one in a huff mate, i just asked you what you were comparing it to. What you said above is exactly like comparing CS and BF.. both are slower, more tactical based games.. nothing more nothing less(obviously they're as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod).

I bloody quoted what you said mate ! You asked me too... what else do you want me to say.. or did you just want me to ignore your question... jesus.. its a discussion board, don't post something if you don't like people replying to you.

You said compared to the orginal tribes / ut / quake.. its a very average game... then you go ahead and completely contradict yourself with the above quote.. unless you think all those games are average.

My take on it is you think im condemning the game, im not, all i said in my first post and since is that in my opinion the game is average, i never said T1 or 2 were better.
    However I did say the latest UT and Quake games were better, to quote myself

"Very average tbh,not a patch on other similar games of old"

Maybe you thought i was referring T1 and T2 , im just telling you i wasnt :)
    I was referring to UT and Quake as similar games of old, here again you disagree which is 100% cool.

But thats just my opinion, then again adn to be fair i havent played more than 5-6 hours of Ascend, maybe im being a tad unfair to judge it in such a short play time but i normally know within hours if im going to like an online fps or not.
    Lets agree to disagree :D

My take on it is you think im condemning the game, im not, all i said in my first post and since is that in my opinion the game is average, i never said T1 or 2 were better.
    However I did say the latest UT and Quake games were better, to quote myself

"Very average tbh,not a patch on other similar games of old"

But thats just my opinion, then again adn to be fair i havent played more than 5-6 hours of Ascend, maybe im being a tad unfair to judge it in such a short play time but i normally know within hours if im going to like an online fps or not.
    Lets agree to disagree :D

:P Its certainly not for everyone, even the orginal tribes was a hit/miss/love/notlovesomuch type of game.. so many good shooters coming out at that time tho. Nowadays its just the same old war based shooters, so this game is a bit of fresh air for me anyway since i just can't get into BF3 and starting to hate playing CoD again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are you two friends again? bugger that
    dcully, magill said some very nasty things about your family in a pm to me

:P Its certainly not for everyone, even the orginal tribes was a hit/miss/love/notlovesomuch type of game.. so many good shooters coming out at that time tho. Nowadays its just the same old war based shooters, so this game is a bit of fresh air for me anyway since i just can't get into BF3 and starting to hate playing CoD again.

Have you tried Red Orchestra 2? or maybe TF2?
    Might be worth a look if your struggling to get into/tired of other fps games.

Ladies, put away handbags please...

Have you tried Red Orchestra 2? or maybe TF2?
    Might be worth a look if your struggling to get into/tired of other fps games.

I bought Red Orchestra 2 a few weeks ago.. still haven't installed it, really not getting much time these days to play games. Will get round to it at easter when im off for 2 weeks tho.

I've played a good bit of TF2 when it first came out, its good fun in small doses for me nowadays.. used to play TFC quite a bit.. for some reason TF2 just doesn't have the same feel to it for me, donno what it is (Besides the art style).. but yeah, i do play it now and then... deffo one of the better games around.

I got into the CS:GO beta so in fairness i've been playing it mostly the last few weeks when i can and jump on tribes for a bit of a break... also played a bit of that killfloor last weekend, thought it was excellent too....

Mehhh... i guess i just don't have enough time on me hands these days to put some proper time into newer games.

so i got it yesterday. played few games and i guess its okay game.

its not revolutionary, but for free to play game its great. If ill stick to it longer i will buy some points so i just support developer at least some way.

on game itself: if they say anything about competitive play on this, then i will laugh my arse off. It is not a tactical team game, its a skill of individual player game.

i will go have a few more games now. i have to admit: it is really satisfying to kill someone.

so i got it yesterday. played few games and i guess its okay game.

its not revolutionary, but for free to play game its great. If ill stick to it longer i will buy some points so i just support developer at least some way.

on game itself: if they say anything about competitive play on this, then i will laugh my arse off. It is not a tactical team game, its a skill of individual player game.

i will go have a few more games now. i have to admit: it is really satisfying to kill someone.

dude... tribes 2 was played competitively for a long time.. 8/9 years if im not mistaken. CTF is quite tactical when your playing with and against good players, same as how CTF in quake is played competitive. You have cappers, support and defensive. Not every game has to be super tactical like SC2.. same as how ever sport isn't tactical like American Football.. you have athletics for example which for the most part is ALL about individual skill. Tribes is somewhere inbetween.

I think some teams are already playing it competitively and its only a beta. The spectate mode isn't amazing atm but there are qutie a few show matches on youtube. I donno if it'll ever be a BIG competitive game, but it'll definately have a healthy scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I find it difficult to watch fps games. There's too much going on at any one time

I find it difficult to watch fps games. There's too much going on at any one time

Yeah i think its the same for most people, the only FPS games that have ever been really good spectator games are the 1v1 dueling games like quake/painkiller. Other games like CS/CoD/Halo only(I say only, they are still watched by a lot of people, particularly CS and halo, at least up until a couple of years ago) seem to be watched by people who actually play the game and can follow the action.

I think its the main reason why starcraft has been so successful, because its really easy to follow whats going on, get a lot of people who don't even play the game, yet would still find a match entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Loving this game so far, as been said already it's a breath of fresh air, can't even stomach bf3 anymore. Never played any of the tribes games before but was a huge fan of planetside which some people always compared. Already bought some gold in tribes assend I'm that impressed, getting those well timed shots at high speed gives a awesome feeling i haven't had in fps games in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Downloaded this today

looks cool, not the best graphics around but that isnt the biggest deal to me

My worry is my ping, im like 133 ping on european servers

wtf like ?

ping test gives me 40 ping

Advertisement