Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gambling is for cool people

• 09-08-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 alan27nologo

Having worked in 3 different bookmakers for over 10 years I have realised that to take part in gambling on a daily basis you may as well be wizzing your money against the wall. The odds are completely packed against you and people will actually convince themselves that its worthwhile to gamble. These bookmakers make loads of money all off peoples losing bets. Think about it the next time your in a Paddy Power or A Boylesport who do you think is paying the rent the bills and the staff wages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

People who are losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

To say Gambling is for fools is far too wide sweeping and generic, yes 99% of the guys who are in bookie shops every day of the week are idiots and are loosing money hand over fist, this is probably what you witnessed, but there are others who are selective on their gambling and only bet on sports/areas where they feel they have an edge, you probably wont see these guys in a bookies.

I gamble, primarily on GAA, Rugby and Golf with the odd very selective bet on NH racing but I cant remember hte last time I was in a bookies, probably last March, for the first race in chelt, just for the atmosphere! I keep records and logs of all my bets and I can guarantee you I am not a loosing punter and there are many more like me, a few here Im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alan27nologo

I dont believe this as iif your a winning gambler online they just clse you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Betfair

Here is proof that you can be profitable, online, without Betfair even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Having worked in 3 different bookmakers for over 10 years I have realised that to take part in gambling on a daily basis you may as well be wizzing your money against the wall. The odds are completely packed against you and people will actually convince themselves that its worthwhile to gamble. These bookmakers make loads of money all off peoples losing bets. Think about it the next time your in a Paddy Power or A Boylesport who do you think is paying the rent the bills and the staff wages.

Well you could say the same thing when you go to a pub, game, or indeed to any form of entertainment. Who pays the bills !!! Some people use these offices as an outlet to meet a few mates and take a chance that they might make a few bob while watching sport. There are some who are overdo it jusk like the pub ;)

I dont believe this as iif your a winning gambler online they just clse you down.

I have multiple accounts, I use Betfair for all my Golf bets and most of the Rugby, PP have restricted my account and I am having problems getting GAA bets on although William Hill are allowing them at the minute, Clare minors will ensure this continues for a while :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Oh there is ways of making money on gambling. You need to have a account with all the bookies and most important betfair were you can lay off bets.

Just keeping to the sport you have the edge on is a key aswel

Never bet on sports you don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

its like everything in life..if you put the work/effort in theres rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wow is that how it works :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I am not a loosing punter and there are many more like me, a few here Im sure.
    I doubt there are "many like you". Anyone have any figures on what percentage of regular punters are in profit?

CiaranC wrote: »
    I doubt there are "many like you". Anyone have any figures on what percentage of regular punters are in profit?

Well what does ''many'' mean?, I guess I know what you mean, tbh I have no idea what % of gamblers would be in profit, most have no idea themselves becasue they dont keep detailed records if any at all and a large number also delude themselves into thinking they are winning punters, rememeber the big wins but selectivley forget all the times they walked out of the shop pennyless.

I guess from my own experience I know about 20 regular punters and I would say only 3, myself included, are in profit, I have nothing to back up my belief that the other two are in profit only basing this on dicussion groups we hold and info we share, but we are definitely the only 3 who actually put a bit of effort into it and see it as a second job rather than a passtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like you I have worked in bookies myself for two summers while in in college. I have seen what people get up to and all that. I also fell into the trap of thinking its easy money when things go well. I was lucky in the fact that the place I worked the some punters had some great links to trainers and were doing well. I followed and won quite a bit, but it did not last forever. Things went downhill but I was lucky that I was still on profit.

What the bookies want is you to do their special bets like Lucky 15, Yankees and that awful Union Jack bet(whatever else you do stay well away from that one folks).

Now I bet on what I seem to have good knowledge in which is Golf, Football, GAA and Boxing. I keep a record of my bets and at end of every month or so I see where I might be going right or wrong. I will never be able to give up the day job thats for sure. I am not a big gambler anyway 5win/place be biggest bet I have on golf and 20quid on gaa or football..

The big thing for me though is value..I always make sure that the odds I am betting on are better then what I think they should be otherwise I stay well alone. In Golf I tend to have 2-3 players every year which I will follow and keep the belief that they will win soon enough which has done me great service over last few years. I have only had 2 bets on GAA this year.One was Kildare -2 points against Laois which I taught was unreal value(easy on hindsight) but came in and that's with me looking at odds for every GAA match this year.

Another big thing is never to back more then you can afford. I wont back on sport every week I dont feel like I need to bet

Lastly I never bet on anything more then double and 90% time when backing in football say, I will only do single(s) bet and stay well away from those accums which are bookies heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

About 2% iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well what does ''many'' mean?, I guess I know what you mean, tbh I have no idea what % of gamblers would be in profit, most have no idea themselves becasue they dont keep detailed records if any at all and a large number also delude themselves into thinking they are winning punters, rememeber the big wins but selectivley forget all the times they walked out of the shop pennyless.

I guess from my own experience I know about 20 regular punters and I would say only 3, myself included, are in profit, I have nothing to back up my belief that the other two are in profit only basing this on dicussion groups we hold and info we share, but we are definitely the only 3 who actually put a bit of effort into it and see it as a second job rather than a passtime.

I think this is key if you back regularly is to keep records..I was amazed at where I was going wrong with bets till I stated doing it, like others I taught I was doing better then I was making out. I have kept records for past 4 years and you will really surprise yourself at what you do right and wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Gambling isn't for fools but thinking that you can continue making money in the long term is for fools unless you have some insider information. The thing about bookies is as soon as you find a way to consistently win money they will limit your account. I have had my account limited on Stan James, Will Hill and Paddy Power. The only other bookie I've used is Bet365. I use Betfair more often than not.

Basically for the man hours I would have to put in to make money wouldn't make it worth while anymore because I can't bet online off my own card. I could use other peoples cards and give them money for it but that is simply too much effort setting up accounts and handing them cash, just too messy for it to work. Bookies only like taking your money and if you start winning that's the end of that. It's a pity that joe soap on the street doesn't know this and it's a pity that the bookies are allowed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

jive wrote: »
    Gambling isn't for fools but thinking that you can continue making money in the long term is for fools unless you have some insider information. The thing about bookies is as soon as you find a way to consistently win money they will limit your account. I have had my account limited on Stan James, Will Hill and Paddy Power. The only other bookie I've used is Bet365. I use Betfair more often than not.

Basically for the man hours I would have to put in to make money wouldn't make it worth while anymore because I can't bet online off my own card. I could use other peoples cards and give them money for it but that is simply too much effort setting up accounts and handing them cash, just too messy for it to work. Bookies only like taking your money and if you start winning that's the end of that. It's a pity that joe soap on the street doesn't know this and it's a pity that the bookies are allowed to do it.

I just surprised it's legal tbh - maybe if your laying the house on 100/1 horses once in a while that'd be pretty suspicious in fairness so that'd be a genuine concern but I assume most people here and in general who have accounts limited aren't getting races or sports events fixed...

it's a pity that the bookies are allowed to do it.

Are you suggesting that bookies should be forced to take on any wager anyone wants? You do realise this would bankrupt the industry overnight and cost tens of thousands of jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Are you suggesting that bookies should be forced to take on any wager anyone wants? You do realise this would bankrupt the industry overnight and cost tens of thousands of jobs?

if someone is good at picking winners of games of soccer or whatever don't let them bet at all :rolleyes:

but if your ****e let them bet every last penny they have ;)

to save the industry and all that

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    if someone is good at picking winners of games of soccer or whatever don't let them bet at all :rolleyes:

but if your ****e let them bet every last penny they have ;)

to save the industry and all that

In fairness its called running a bussiness they provide a service and they can refuse that service to whoever they like, Iv had it done to me plenty, part and parcel of the game IMO, and the beauty of Betfair.

• Advertisement

No but why limit accounts to €7-€11 euro bets on everything and anything? I've had many accounts closed and it's probably due to taking the best industry prices. Why offer the prices if you're going to limit the account if the person keeps taking the best prices?

Are you suggesting it's fair that win or lose they will limit your account just because you aren't gambling like a moron? The odds are heavily in the bookies favour to begin with and that fact that they limit anyone who bets in a way they think may lose them money in the long run is stupid. Of course the bookies will always win if they only take money off losing accounts. What kind of service is that offering? You lose, welcome back. You win, you're barred.

They are long enough in the tooth to know that people aren't betting on fixed events when limiting most accounts. They do it because potentially they see this person may win money in the long run due to their choices.

jive wrote:
    Are you suggesting it's fair that win or lose they will limit your account just because you aren't gambling like a moron?
    Why do you think it has to be "fair"? Bookmakers exist to make a profit, like any other business, not to be "fair".

Do you go on Betfair looking to lay punters with "fairness" in mind? Of course you dont.

Why do you think it has to be "fair"? Bookmakers exist to make a profit, like any other business, not to be "fair".

Do you go on Betfair looking to lay punters with "fairness" in mind? Of course you dont.

Because they offer a service and they advertise a service. The terms and conditions are half a mile long and filled with mumbo jumbo. It is not common knowledge to average joe on the street that if he starts winning they won't take his bets. If you're winning that's it, no go. What is the point of gambling if there can only be one outcome? It's not gambling when it's clearly a certainty you will lose with bookies. You may as well be burning your money.

Betfair is an exchange so it isn't really comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

It is not common knowledge to average joe on the street that if he starts winning they won't take his bets. If you're winning that's it, no go.

Thats only a half truth, not all winners are restricted. I've seen people who threw shedloads away every week, and one day clicked a big accum that would have put them well ahead. They were not told to never comeback, like you seen to be perpetuating.

Healio wrote: »
    Thats only a half truth, not all winners are restricted. I've seen people who threw shedloads away every week, and one day clicked a big accum that would have put them well ahead. They were not told to never comeback, like you seen to be perpetuating.

I back online. I imagine it's much harder to track in shops where you can go to multiple shops and you won't really be recognised unless you are making a killing. You can only go to one website unfortunately and it is all tracked on your account. And I wouldn't want to break the T's and C's by opening other accounts on other cards :P

Because they offer a service and they advertise a service.
    What does that mean?
    Betfair is an exchange so it isn't really comparable.
    What do you mean an exchange isnt comparable. Is a pro layer on betfair expected to be "fair" to you and let you win or not? Or is it just High Street bookies?

What does that mean?

What do you mean an exchange isnt comparable. Is a pro layer on betfair expected to be "fair" to you and let you win or not? Or is it just High Street bookies?

It's pretty simple to understand. They offer to take wagers on events. This is called gambling on said events. However, it isn't gambling if there can only be one outcome.

How is an exchange comparable? You are betting against each other and the exchange takes commission. You don't get limited or restricted. It's an exchange. How can a layer be fair? What does that even mean? If I give him odds and he takes them then great. If he wins then tough shít, I had the choice. Bookies don't give you a choice and therefore they cannot lose.

I think folks that don't use exchanges are really missing out, why bother stressing about internet betting sites closing your account. Hard enough to pick winners etc without worrying about getting you next bet on.

Cool thread though OP :pac:

Those of you who worked in the industry, what did ye do? On the counter or traders or????

I'd love to work on the counter of a bookies, couldn't think of a better job actually, all that stops me is the hours. I would want all of Cheltenham off, all of Galway off, all weekends off, ha couldn't see that going down too well!

Would be a cool job though.

• Advertisement

The lads in my local betting office are a great bunch, one of them has set up a fantasy premier league mini league yoke for us. Tough job in the summer though, with the late opening, they get decent info from time to time too. Not a bad job by any stretch of the imagination though.

Advertisement