Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hope the antibiotics kick in soon mic.

Sligo - 3 days in hospital, bloody hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hope ur felling better soon. I was in hospital for 3 days with mastitis when LO was 3 weeks :(. Was awful.

God, that's really tough! Poor mama!

I'm doing grand now, thanks. antibiotics kicked in so I'm on the mend. It knocked me for a while there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

So I'm trying to reduce feeds and plan on weaning my little man when he turns two at the end of the summer. Right now he always gets a morning feed, and then it could be until the next morning before he gets another because of work. When I'm home he can look for a lot more. I never had to wean my older child, who self weaned when I was six months pregnant. Any advice or tips welcome. I can't believe I feel a bit sad about this finishing, especially when I was tearing my hair out because he never took a bottle! Ideally I'd like to make sure he only gets the morning feed for a few weeks and then phase that out, but when he comes over looking for 'milkies' it is very hard to say no.

Wow lazygal - 2 years, that is some achievement. I don't have any advice as I've no experience of weaning off the breast yet but well done you :)

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Wow lazygal - 2 years, that is some achievement. I don't have any advice as I've no experience of weaning off the breast yet but well done you :)

Thanks, if you'd asked when I started if I'd be posting this I might have been more: :mad:and :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lazygal, I'm about to wean my second at 17 months, my first was 16 months when weaned.

On my first we were down to morning g and night only so I dropped the night feed first and gave her a bottle with cows milk, then a week alter did the same with the morning feed. This was all helped by me being pregnant and having less milk anyway but she was fine. I was fine as my second baby was due within 2 months and I found feeding while pregnant very painful

With my second I've already dropped the night feed, she had pretty much weaned off that but I have a bottle of milk belfry bed which we now have moved back to 4, so she has dinner at 6 and doesn't need anything before bed. Next week I'm stopping the morning feed. My husband is off work so I plan to have him get a bottle of milk, pick her up, give it to her and bring her to me for cuddles. She can also ask for it so I understand how hard it is to say no, some mornings she'll feed for almost an hour (it's comfort more than feeding) so I'm hoping we can cuddle with a bottle instead. Good luck with it and well done on 2 years, amazing achievement

Thanks, my problem is I have nothing to replace the boob with!He'll be two at the start of September and I really want to have him weaned by then. He has never taken a bottle and doesn't like cows milk so my only alternative is beakers of water.

lazygal wrote: »
    Thanks, my problem is I have nothing to replace the boob with!He'll be two at the start of September and I really want to have him weaned by then. He has never taken a bottle and doesn't like cows milk so my only alternative is beakers of water.

Ah ok, well do you think he'd take a beaker of water in the morning? I know both of mine love water when they wake

Ah ok, well do you think he'd take a beaker of water in the morning? I know both of mine love water when they wake
    I might try him the next few weeks and see. He loves that morning feed so I think he won't give up without a fight.

I might try him the next few weeks and see. He loves that morning feed so I think he won't give up without a fight.

I know that feeling, no idea how my little one is going to react, she'll either loose her life or be like "whatever"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I broke routines: so i normally fed in bed so I got up straight away in the morning. She used feed as soon as I got in from work so I gave her a beaker of water and a packet of raisins or if she was very cross a chocolate finger biscuit (desperate I know!). I day weaned her first and fed her on demand at night for ages until she weaned on me!

Congratulations too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

My girl is 21 mths and has boobs available to her all day. Never took a bottle. I was away for 4 days recently and she was fine with water almond milk etc. She didn't even go boob mad when I came home. I'm not planning on weaning yet but I'd suggest going with day weaning first, then do as previous poster suggested and nd hop straight out of the bed in the morning. After that head away for a few nights and see how he gets on. One friend of mine used to feed baby on the couch and then she and daddy took turns putting the baby to sleep which worked well for them. I think I'm just too lazy to wean yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I never have leakage, once when I expressed and missed a feed and they were overly full for a day. But I woke up for 5am feed with literally a patch of milk the size of side plate soaked into the bed, really soaked, and a patch the size of a saucer on my top. This morning that side was still heavier and fuller, it's more normal now after feeding from it, but there was excess milk nearly flowing down the side of his face as he fed.

Any idea what's happening?? I expressed Saturday night because they were oddly full but I expressed from both sides, one more than the other but I can't remember which one, I'd nearly say it was the other side I got the most from, not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Did you empty both sides when you expressed? If you are only expressing for comfort I think you are only meant to express whatever amount eases the discomfort/fullness cos otherwise you are signalling your body to make more milk.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Maybe your baby took in more milk one day (growth spurt/thirsty) and then the next he didn't, leading to the fullness on Saturday?

I used to find and still find sometimes at 9 months that boobs are fuller some days than others. I used to wonder why as well but once baby putting on weight and regular wet/dirty nappies, now I wouldn't worry, just go with the flow.

Hmm yeah I did empty them, because there was so much, way more than I'd usually get when expressing, so I thought I'd make hay while the sun shone!

I wonder is it because he had heat rash on Thursday so I fed him quite often, maybe it just took a few days to up the supply by which time I didn't need it? He's never done the cluster feeding thing (influenced by first 5 days in special care with formula etc I would say) so I've missed out on some aspects of how supply works so apologies if that should've been obvious to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I had leakage all the time regardless of how much I fed or expressed. I just wore a bra and breastpads in bed for a while.
    If you stimulated a bigger supply by feeding loads and then tried to pump it off, the pumping just furthers the already increased supply.
    Just feed /pump as often as you need and it'll settle down.

It's back to normal again now, hopefully no more leakage tonight! Thank God I never leak any noticeable amount anyway, very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Spottybananas, as other posters said, if you emptied boobs when you expressed you sent your body the message that more milk is needed and your supply will increase. If you get uncomfortably full just express enough to ease discomfort. Baby's can feed more or less from day to day sometimes, as long as there's plenty of wet nappies that's all normal.
    One boob bigger or fuller is normal too. Baby's often have a favourite side where they'll feed more increasing supply on that side. Just make sure you're alternating which side you're starting each feed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I wonder is it because he had heat rash on Thursday so I fed him quite often, maybe it just took a few days to up the supply by which time I didn't need it

I'd say that's it exactly! Milk is produced on a supply and demand basis so supply of milk is based on demand - demand from baby drinking or from expressing.

Eta- if you're left with extra milk, you can just express a little for comfort and your body will see that there is extra milk not being used and reduce supply again until the next increase in demand!

The main thing that influences supply is how much milk is removed from the breast but it is also impacted a little by body heat, warm shower/bath, some foods eg porridge and stress.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Can you try Almond/Coconut milk?

I haven't given my wee man cows milk yet (not planning on giving it him at all tbh) but he loves his almond milk. It takes it in a sippy cup if I am not around at in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe try getting a bottle with characters from his favourite show or something like that on it. I did this recently for my 2 and 4 year old when we were going on holiday and they were obsessed with drinking water

I'm not pushed about replacing milk with milk. I always hated the taste of milk so I'm conscious of not forcing cows milk. He loves water so I will probably go with a new cup when we start weaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone else suffered from woeful pms while breastfeeding? I've never really gotten it before so it took me a few cycles to cop what was happening but I've read that breastfeeding can make it worse? For the whole week before I get my period I'm getting brutal mood swings, irritability and anxiety. Not to mention cotton wool brain where I can hardly remember my own name. As soon as I get my period, it's like a release and I'm back to my normal not-so-moody self :o

It wouldn't be so bad if I could pinpoint when it will happen but my cycle is all over the place and ridiculously frequent at the moment :(

And I'm done, feeling sad and happy. I've been either pregnant and/or breastfeeding for the last 43 months, but who's counting ;0)

Not sure what my poor boobs are going to look like in a few weeks or of I'll suffer any blues, but very proud of myself.

When I decide to breastfeed my first I was the first in my entire extended family to do so, probably since the great grandmothers generation. It was quite the learning experience for everyone but by the time my second was born no one batted an eye at me feeding. I hope I've helped my sisters if they decide to breastfeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Back to trying to find my feet. My second son was born Thursday afternoon and my milk has just come....queue son feeding like crazy!

I was let leave hospital early as birth was straightforward and babs was doing well...I'm hoping all is well now when PHN visits tomorrow and he hasn't dropped too much weight.

Oh, the post feeding blues, wow they suck! Not helped by the throat infection I woke up to today! Has anyone experienced this? Fed for 17 months and wasn't sick once, I wean and am sick within 4 days, maybe it's coincidental.

I do remember feeling a little blue when I weanedy first and getting sick, but I was 6 months pregnant so I probably put it down to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh I had awful blues... Awful! Hope it passes soon for you :) it makes sense when you think of it... Your hormone levels returning to pre baby levels. It only lasted a few days for me!

Post feeding blues? Nooo! That's rough :(

Could I just have a little virtual pat on the back? :o I don't really give myself much credit for getting this far as it just seems such a part of everyday life now but I'm well on my way to achieving my bf for 12 months goal. I never thought I'd get this far! At the start I thought 6 weeks would be great but I would like to get to 6 months. Then once I got to that point, I thought 12 months would be good. Well I'm gonna keep on going as my baby seems to love my milk so new goal is to get to 18-24 months, but I'm gonna really aim for the 2 years.

Every now and again I have to remind myself how amazing it is that my body has nourished my baby for so long and my baby is happy and healthy. Bf is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Well done Tinkerbell! Long may it continue for you and your baby :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Any tips on how to stop a 7 month old biting? The last time he did it I took him off, looked him in the eye and said firmly "no biting!" His reaction was to laugh and make a biting motion back at me :eek: Little mentaller!

Advertisement