Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cheers.

It's 'only' going to cost 100m. Not worth a PPP for that, unless bundled with another job, like the Cork to Ringaskiddy project.

Cork to Ringaskiddy would be considered quite a cheap project too. Prob no more than 150 to 200m.

Anyone hoping for funding to be announced today. It is by far the most needed project in Cork and I would think it also has the highest payoff/cost ratio of any project currently on the table. Its relatively low cost is also an attraction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone hoping for funding to be announced today. It is by far the most needed project in Cork and I would think it also has the highest payoff/cost ratio of any project currently on the table. Its relatively low cost is also an attraction.
    We're hoping for a lot of stuff to be funded today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

niloc1951 wrote: »
    If a the commuter populations develop further in the Watergrasshill/Rathcormac/Fermoy area and the two roundabouts do cause issues during morning peak time then the residents of Sallybrook and Glanmire better get ready deal with their villages becoming part of a 'rat-run'

Just posting to update this thread to say that it appears that tailbacks on the M8 and N25 have caused people to use alternative routes. Over the past 2-4 months the "rat-run" through Glanmire (and though we didn't predict it on here, Glounthaune) now sees long tailbacks each morning.

The longest tailbacks at the interchange itself appear to be M8-Tunnel, N25-Tunnel (from East and West), Tunnel-N25 (Mostly Eastbound) and at the N25-Little Island interchange.

The N25-Little Island interchange has been backing up for a few km at peak hours. I really can't see how the current Little Island traffic and Dublin-Cork traffic can coexist at this junction, especially when the Tunnel traffic will free-flow to the junction.

On the face of it, it looks like the proposed design will just move the existing traffic jams to a few km East of their current location.

Just posting to update this thread to say that it appears that tailbacks on the M8 and N25 have caused people to use alternative routes. Over the past 2-4 months the "rat-run" through Glanmire (and though we didn't predict it on here, Glounthaune) now sees long tailbacks each morning.

The longest tailbacks at the interchange itself appear to be M8-Tunnel, N25-Tunnel (from East and West), Tunnel-N25 (Mostly Eastbound) and at the N25-Little Island interchange.

The N25-Little Island interchange has been backing up for a few km at peak hours. I really can't see how the current Little Island traffic and Dublin-Cork traffic can coexist at this junction, especially when the Tunnel traffic will free-flow to the junction.

On the face of it, it looks like the proposed design will just move the existing traffic jams to a few km East of their current location.

The scheme overall should improve access to Little Island as it will provide an easy avenue at the junction itself into the west most side of Little Island.

Should take a lot of pressure off the other junction hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭cork_south

Any news on how far into the planning stage this project is?
    I have not heard much in the media, but the traffic is steadily getting worse around this junction and particularly the South Ring eastbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

The traffic around the Dunkettle Interchange is just getting worse and worse with each passing week. Any news of movement on this planned upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭cork_south

This pic shows how badly the interchange needs to be upgraded.

http://imgur.com/YIqquBv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

cork_south wrote: »

Oh my god, that looks as though its back as far as Ballincollig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

...and we think the M50 is bad!

OMG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 macflea

apart from dunkettle upgrade ,is there any movement on the north ring road , surely this would take the pressure off the tunnel for anyone coming from the west of the city, they could easily divert around the north side of city and join the glanmire bypass onto fermoy and dublin etc .i dread to imagine what the traffic will be like through the tunnel once they start the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks awful, but that pic is on an exceptionally bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blindsider

Looks awful, but that pic is on an exceptionally bad day.

Is it though?

I'm not sure it is. Traffic is beginning to return to 'pre-crash' levels, and another 6 - 12 months will see steady and increasing traffic.

NRA etc need to get moving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

macflea wrote: »
    apart from dunkettle upgrade ,is there any movement on the north ring road , surely this would take the pressure off the tunnel for anyone coming from the west of the city, they could easily divert around the north side of city and join the glanmire bypass onto fermoy and dublin etc .i dread to imagine what the traffic will be like through the tunnel once they start the upgrade.

And if they build it to motorway standard, a toll could probably be justified. For a lot of motorists, it would come down to a choice of driving on the highly congested south ring or pay a couple of Euro to take the north ring which would be higher speed, less congested, shorter distance and fewer junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

zetalambda wrote: »
    And if they build it to motorway standard, a toll could probably be justified. For a lot of motorists, it would come down to a choice of driving on the highly congested south ring or pay a couple of Euro to take the north ring which would be higher speed, less congested, shorter distance and fewer junctions.
    First of all, the South Ring is "to motorway standard" without the classification. If they did make the North ring a motorway, the speed limit would probably top out at 100kmh like the M50. The attraction would most likely be lower traffic volumes although this is pure speculation on my part. But the traffic couldn't be as heavy as the South Ring is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

This junction in the pic is the Bloomfield Interchange which is 4/5 km from the Dunkettle Roundabout, the source of the problem. So that means another 4 km of traffic queuing that we can't see and the pic shows the traffic backed up over the Kinsale Road Roundabout flyover. This is not a rare occurance, I've often seen it despite not living in Cork anymore. What I do notice is that we're particularly quiet about our traffic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

First of all, the South Ring is "to motorway standard" without the classification. If they did make the North ring a motorway, the speed limit would probably top out at 100kmh like the M50. The attraction would most likely be lower traffic volumes although this is pure speculation on my part. But the traffic couldn't be as heavy as the South Ring is currently.

I can't see any reason why the north ring road if built to motorway standard could not have a 120 speed limit. There are only 3 junctions planned between the M8 and Ballincollig. South ring junctions are too close to each other. Intermittant sections are built to motorway standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Any update on this I see tree's being cut down on the Dublin side of the roundabout today. Realistically the Bloomfield, Mahon and little island interchanges need upgrading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This 120 not allowed with close junctions is ráiméis, look at the M1 J2-J3 : <0.5km between end of onmerge and offmerge start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

zetalambda wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why the north ring road if built to motorway standard could not have a 120 speed limit. There are only 3 junctions planned between the M8 and Ballincollig. South ring junctions are too close to each other. Intermittant sections are built to motorway standard.

Agree. The M50 from J13/14 (in Sandyford) to the M11 at Shankill is 120kph.

• Advertisement

I agree the North Ring road would likely be 120kmh.
    HOWEVER:
    The critical local roads improvements are the tunnel interchange and Cork-Limerick road. Both of these come well ahead of the north ring road in terms of likelihood.

There's zero political interest in improving Cork infrastructure. The airport and port are both in very bad situations.

The south west is the only part of the country with increasing unemployment rates. Probably all just a coincidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I agree the North Ring road would likely be 120kmh.
    HOWEVER:
    The critical local roads improvements are the tunnel interchange and Cork-Limerick road. Both of these come well ahead of the north ring road in terms of likelihood.

There's zero political interest in improving Cork infrastructure. The airport and port are both in very bad situations.

The south west is the only part of the country with increasing unemployment rates. Probably all just a coincidence.
    What? The airport is right next to the recently improved N40 and the port is going to have an N28 upgrade very soon. Airport passenger numbers and freight is up.

Airport passenger numbers are drastically down.
    The port upgrade "very soon" is actually scheduled for "no fixed date".

Edit:
    Airport numbers
    http://www.independent.ie/business/more-than-a-million-fliers-bypass-120m-cork-airport-30975357.html
    Port not being upgraded until the N28 is upgraded
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/computer-simulations-of-port-of-cork-plan-unveiled-257658.html
    And that's not going to be done until finding is approved: 2017 at the earliest
    http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/

Also, the N40 improvements don't really affect the airport.

It's nice that the main flow of traffic no longer uses the Kinsale road roundabout, but doesn't have a major effect on flights.
    Your "recently improved" is actually 10 years ago now too.

Occasionally I have to meet people at Cork Airport and the access isn't bad from the N40 - the problem is where the tunnel/M8/N25 intersect.

Any plans to fix that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any plans to fix that?

Yes. That's what this thread is about.

Ah! So that's the Dunkettle interchange :o

Ah! So that's the Dunkettle interchange :o

Technically it's the tunnel interchange, with the Dunkettle interchange a few hundred metres west of it!
    Sorry, I just had to complicate it more!

Technically it's the tunnel interchange, with the Dunkettle interchange a few hundred metres west of it!
    Sorry, I just had to complicate it more!

Not correct. The west most roundabout is the Dunkettle Roundabout. The one at the tunnel is the Dunkettle Interchange.

• Advertisement

You're spot on, Augustus.
    The Dunkettle Roundabout is not the roundabout at the Dunkettle interchange.
    The roundabout at the Dunkettle interchange is the tunnel roundabout.

Apologies!

It's almost as much of a mess in naming as it is in planning!

Advertisement