Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mouth Ulcer!

• 15-04-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a wile bad mouth Ulcer,not looking for medical advice though because I know what to do when you have one to get rid of it.

Basically what can you do to prevent them?I know that you can and will get one occasionlly but how can I improve my odds against the feckers?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

good oral and dental hygiene is one thing. But tbh I find I'm much more prone to them when I'm really tired or run down.

So good nights sleep maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

mouthwash..... prevents mouth ulcers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rinse your mouth with a load of salt and hot water. Or apply salt directly onto the ulcer. It will sting like feck for a few minutes, but will then go completely numb!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭techdiver

PCPhoto wrote: »
    mouthwash..... prevents mouth ulcers !!!

This is not necessarily true.

Some mouthwash and toothpaste containing foaming agents, specifically "Sodium lauryl sulphate", actually have been known to cause mouth ulcers.

I now avoid this ingredient and the occurrences of mouth ulcers have reduced.

Also a good treatment for mouth ulcers is a product called "Adcortyl in Orabase". Unfortunately it is still a prescription only medication in Ireland. I usually get it when in the UK where it is available over the counter. I call it a miracle cure for mouth ulcers as it gets rid if mine within in day or two as opposed to over a week when using bonjela.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had major cleanup done on my teeth in January 08 and since then I now practice good oral hygiene, I bought an electric toothbrush and I use interdental brushes every night followed by a mouthwash with Listerine. The frequency of mouth ulcers has greatly reduced but I still do get the odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

Good oral hygiene should help prevents mouth ulcers. However, if you are getting these on a regular basis you should consult your GP. Mouth ulcers can be a symptom of more serious underling conditions.

Advertisement