Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maternity Benefit Query

• 23-09-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am trying to understand how Maternity Benefit works, and whether it would apply to me in my situation.

I'm not pregnant now, but my husband and I are planning to have our first baby to coincide with my current full-time employment contract ending in December 2012 (presuming health-wise that all goes to schedule!).

If my baby was born (not too long) after my employment contract ended in December 2012 (say, 1-3 months), would I be entitled to maternity benefit? I'm not sure whether I'd be offered a further contract (I work for an NGO, funding is tight), so I am presuming for planning purposes that there will be no further contract for me (ie no return to work at that employer after maternity leave). It says on Citizens Information that maternity pay is based on gross annual salary and number of weeks worked - my gross salary is €42k and I work full-time (so, 52 weeks a year?).

Therefore my questions are:
    - would I (in theory) be eligible for maternity benefit for the 26 weeks?
    - if so, approximately how much would this be?
    - in addition to maternity benefit I would apply for child benefit too, so that would be an additional €140 per month, correct?
    - is the amount that you're paid in maternity benefit dependent on your spouse's salary?

Obviously, I know all of this could change radically depending on what the budget is like later this year. Just would like some clarification based on what the law is like now! :)

Many thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

you will apply for maternity benefit no later than 6 weeks before your due date to ensure. maternity benefit starts no later than 2 weeks before yuor due date. you must be in insurable employment within 16 weeks of your due date. the maximum amount of maternity benefit you are entitled to is €262. your husbands salary is of no relevance to your entitlement to maternity benefit.You will also get child benefit, €140 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Thank you mrsbyrne! Very helpful and much appreciated! :)

Advertisement