Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

advice on arts subjects

• 11-06-2009 10:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

ok im doing arts next year with the two main subjects being german and irish. i am going secondary teaching afterwrds. just wondering what are the more dossier subjects as i dont want to be taking 4 demanding subjects. was thinking of either computer science/geography/sociolgy (however you spell it)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A few of those subjects have a bit of an overlap in terms of concepts incorporated into the module. Its a few years ago now but I wrote practically the same essay for sociology, psychology and philosophy on Freud and psychoanalysis. It helped with the study as I was enjoying the college experience a bit too much.

Don't worry about subjects being demanding in first year. They're generally not. Other years they can be though.

Its your first time outside of the rigid irish educational system too. Don't be afraid to try some subjects you never got to do in school (or for that matter never even heard of!!)

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

SeaFields wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to try some subjects you never got to do in school (or for that matter never even heard of!!)

enjoy

haha i love that, boardsies always say that to incoming arts folk, and if you hop over to the exam thread people will be saying 'why did you pick that subject if you didnt like it'

OP should try philosophy, in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Nobody I know who did sociology liked it...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

SeaFields wrote: »
    Its your first time outside of the rigid irish educational system too.
    enjoy

I'm not clear here.
    Has Arts left the country or just education per se?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

Nobody I know who did sociology liked it...

+ 1

its an ass of a subject in first year....its interesting if you read around it but the lecturers dont make the most of it for you at all.... I only took it because it was one of the 4 I had to take with my degree, and it helped somewhat but it was a snore. literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Yeah, I did Sociology in first year and HATED it, I'm amazed I actually passed it. Do not go there, you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Yeah, I did Sociology in first year and HATED it, I'm amazed I actually passed it. Do not go there, you'll regret it.

Im thinking of doing it. I had to do it for the last year in my Plc course and I enjoyed it. I also did it for a semester when I was 18 and doing a Journalism degree and enjoyed it then too. What's the main problem with it in UCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

it is insanely boring...

what kind of topics have you done before??
    all the good stuff seems to be skipped, its all durkheim this, marx that... blah blah blah... we did more of what sociology is and who made it up than the subject itself...

snore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

In both cases when I studied Sociology I studied, Crime In Ireland, Marx, Durkheim, Weber, Globalisation, the family, the feminist movement....I can't remember the rest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mstorres

I did german and loved it but just to warn you the german department isnt the best so prepare to be frustrated.I know lots of people who wanted to do german for their degree but didnt want to after first year. On a happier note i heard the irish dept is pretty good. i didnt do sociology but heard form those that did that the lecturer was impossible to understand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement