Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on my tattoo idea?

• 28-06-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

I'm planning on getting the word 'Wanderlust' on the side of my foot. In a soft/feminine font. Or is it a little cliché and..silly.? In regards to meaning, it means something to me, it's kind of self explanatory! I'd appreciate some adivce/opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sounds fine to me. I'd add a little splash of colour as a background but that's because I'm not huge fan of script. Something like this:
    31a09863c4deeee41b48bf3adc57d645.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

If you need opinions or reassurance on a tattoo don't get the tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

GrayFox208 wrote: »

I'm not looking for reassurance, I was just seeking opinions?

lizzmurph wrote: »
    I'm not looking for reassurance, I was just seeking opinions?

Or is it a little cliché and..silly.?

That's what I mean. If you have to doubt it don't do it, because it might seem like a good idea now but I thought that about a tattoo now I hate the bastard. And don't add colour or anything if you do get it, best to decide on those things afterwards, in my opinion it is anyway.

Or is it a little cliché and..silly.?

That's what I mean. If you have to doubt it don't do it, because it might seem like a good idea now but I thought that about a tattoo now I hate the bastard. And don't add colour or anything if you do get it, best to decide on those things afterwards, in my opinion it is anyway.

You're right actually, I'll definitely wait a while and see if I change my mind, and make sure I'm sure. No I wasn't planning on colour anyways. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm planning on getting the word 'Wanderlust' on the side of my foot. In a soft/feminine font. Or is it a little cliché and..silly.? In regards to meaning, it means something to me, it's kind of self explanatory! I'd appreciate some adivce/opinions.

might be nice done as a scarification ?

(if thats what best name for this is )
    QESyAra.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Thats Bollo**s getting peoples ideas can really help you go in the right direction with a tattoo.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Thats Bollo**s getting peoples ideas can really help you go in the right direction with a tattoo.

If you cant decide on a tattoo then you shouldn't be getting the tattoo... People fill your head you think is grand then later on you could start to wish you kept your idea... If you wanted to add them after that's simple, getting rid of something extra someone said you should add is a lot harder and painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Cheyenne Zealous Dough

Snake wrote: »
    If you cant decide on a tattoo then you shouldn't be getting the tattoo... People fill your head you think is grand then later on you could start to wish you kept your idea... If you wanted to add them after that's simple, getting rid of something extra someone said you should add is a lot harder and painful.

Or you could end up wishing you listened to other people.
    Its her decision in the end regardless and no harm in taking opinions in the planning stages. When she gets it, I'm sure she'll be sure.

nm wrote: »
    Or you could end up wishing you listened to other people.
    Its her decision in the end regardless and no harm in taking opinions in the planning stages. When she gets it, I'm sure she'll be sure.

Like I said it's easier to add than takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Maybe the OP doesn't know as much as most on here do about different styles of tattoo. They have their basic idea, a bit of help, direction and a few ideas could go a long way.
    The watercolour effect can be great with text, really highlights it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I must have done 150+ wanderlust tattoos. Around 3 a week, but have done 5 (on unconnected customers...) in one day.

basically, if you saw it on Pintrest, it is already cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

basically, if you saw it on Pintrest, it is already cliche.
    Not sure I agree with that I'm getting a jungle themed sleeve done and have seen plenty of them online as long as you add your own twist it's fine even a generic tattoo is worthwhile if the subject is happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Ohhhh and it makes you wander, or is it wonder ?

dinorebel wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with that I'm getting a jungle themed sleeve done and have seen plenty of them online as long as you add your own twist it's fine even a generic tattoo is worthwhile if the subject is happy with it.

there is no adding your own twist to a cursive "wanderlust". But everyone should get the tattoo they want, it is just whether or not it will bother them that it is super common.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

there is no adding your own twist to a cursive "wanderlust". But everyone should get the tattoo they want, it is just whether or not it will bother them that it is super common.

"Wanderlust - 5.6/10...... IMDB"

I'd call that adding a twist :) although I don't think it's much to do with the film that the OP is wanting it tattood for :D

Wow felt like ages ago I posted this and people are still replying! Thanks for everyones opinions on it, I've actually decided on a different tattoo now, one that is more relevant to me right now as opposed to the Wanderlust one. One thing that bothered me while I read through the comments here though is that people are saying that the Wanderlust tattoo I was going to get is really popular, not unique etc, why are people so concerned with a tattoo being common? If it means something to someone it shouldn't matter.? Or am I wrong? I don't know, I personally thought that tattoo was pretty unique, I've never seen anyone in person with it. I've decided to go for a music related tattoo because it means a lot more and I haven't travelled much yet anyway so I thought I should save the other idea for later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

For some people it matters a lot, for others it doesn't matter at all.
    Sometimes people come up with an idea for a tattoo, thinking it quite unique, and end up less happy with it when they find out that it's actually pretty common.
    It's more about bearing that in mind when you're getting what you want. If the one you're going for really means that much to you, it won't matter in the slightest how many people have it.

• Advertisement

One thing that bothered me while I read through the comments here though is that people are saying that the Wanderlust tattoo I was going to get is really popular, not unique etc, why are people so concerned with a tattoo being common? If it means something to someone it shouldn't matter.? Or am I wrong? I don't know, I personally thought that tattoo was pretty unique, I've never seen anyone in person with it.

Well, to be fair, you did ask if it was cliche...which it is. you then asked and answered your own concerns in this post.

Well, to be fair, you did ask if it was cliche...which it is. you then asked and answered your own concerns in this post.

When I asked if it was cliché, I meant it more in a way of did it seem typical girly type tattoo, not 'is this a common tattoo', just because a tattoo is popular it wouldn't stop me from getting it if it meant a lot to me etc. Also i did post this while ago and since have scrapped this idea anyway, but yeah I guess you're right I have now answered my own question anyways.

When I asked if it was cliché, I meant it more in a way of did it seem typical girly type tattoo, not 'is this a common tattoo', just because a tattoo is popular it wouldn't stop me from getting it if it meant a lot to me etc. Also i did post this while ago and since have scrapped this idea anyway, but yeah I guess you're right I have now answered my own question anyways.

Tis both cliché and common. While I believe that these things are not a reason to avoid a tattoo you really want, I also believe these are things worth knowing before you get tattooed.

Advertisement