Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of getting UPC Horizon Max

• 17-07-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,
    Just got a promo letter from UPC saying there doing a special offer of free Horizon Max TV for a year, so we're thinking about getting it. I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me out with the questions below.

We have UPC 120mb BB (TC7200U router) at the moment with the standard TV 16 analogue channels (no box). If we get the Horizon box, can I still use the TC7200U for broadband? and the Horizon box for the TV? If so, how would I do this?
    Also, is the Horizon TV service any good? If we didnt like it or if we thought it wasnt as good as advertised. If we're within the 14 day cooling off period can we just cancel and return the box at no cost?

Cheers

hankarlo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

a half dozen people on this forum will tell you horizon is the worst thing on the planet and ruined their lives. Over a hundred thousand UPC customers are happy with it.

I have zero problem with horizon, the wifi is grand for me and the picture quality is excellent. There is also talk on other threads about replay TV being launched at some point as its live in UPC NL and Switzerland.

They do honour cooling off periods.

You can use your own modem if you specifically request it, there is an additional deconsolidation charge. Id say try it with the horizon box and if it really isn't working out for you, Deconsolidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

What is this charge for and how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hankarlo

Cheers thanks for reply wabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

odckdo wrote: »
    What is this charge for and how much does it cost?

Just now I upgraded my bb to include horizon max.

So I found out this deconsolidation charge is for keeping your router. Costs €80.

My router is across the hall from the living room. I was told if a splitter works there would be no charge but for an extra point in the living room €60.

She waived the deconsolidation fee of €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 to everything Wabbit Ears said above. Too many negative whingers on boards have made it their lifetime crusade to rubbish the Horizon box. It's not perfect, I sometimes get repeat recordings that I don't want and the menus could be a bit faster but all in all it's a grand bit of technology and I'm happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 hankarlo

Just upgraded my BB to Horizon Max, on the phone for nearly an hour, a big ordeal for something so simple. The first sales rep was saying she could only offer me a €20 discount for the first 6 months, even though I told her I received a letter from UPC stating that I'd get free TV for the year. She also said that I'd have to return my old router and I'd have to use the Horizon STB as my router, I told her I wanted to speak with the manager, and the phone went dead. Then I rang them back and got to speak to another rep, explained what I wanted, and It wasnt a problem, dunno who trains their staff. Hopefully I'll get the box Monday or Tuesday, I'll post back what I think. Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I just upgraded to 240mgs broadband, horizon tv and phone. But Ive just realised there is a lot of recordings on the digital box, is there any way of keeping these or saving them to the horizon box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Hi, hoping someone here might know the answer to this - am currently with sky, main box in sitting room, second point in bedroom.. I have linked this second box to the tv in kitchen myself (via rf out port). Ordered horizon with multiroom for bedroom. Do the horizon boxes have the same rf out type port to run another tv off like my current setup ? ... Hopefully that all makes sense and thanks in advance for any help !

cathalj wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone here might know the answer to this - am currently with sky, main box in sitting room, second point in bedroom.. I have linked this second box to the tv in kitchen myself (via rf out port). Ordered horizon with multiroom for bedroom. Do the horizon boxes have the same rf out type port to run another tv off like my current setup ? ... Hopefully that all makes sense and thanks in advance for any help !

The Horizon box does not have an RF-out port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

coylemj wrote:
    The Horizon box does not have an RF-out port.

Thanks for that, does that mean there is no way to run another tv off the box ? (Sorry if it's a stupid question!)

cathalj wrote: »
    Thanks for that, does that mean there is no way to run another tv off the box ? (Sorry if it's a stupid question!)

No, not a stupid question at all given that you can do it with your Sky box. Potentially with a Horizon box you could connect the SCART to one TV and the HDMI to another TV but IIRC only one port can be active at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If you're UPC BB customer and want their tv the best bet is wait for them to call you with a deal (which they will) .....I have their BB, had one ring me and offered me the lot for 25 quid a month for 12 months (that's their new customer offer I believe) which is 20 quid less than I'm paying now .....I'm still undecided as I be stuck with extra cost for 6 months as I really have no intention of ditching Sky

Advertisement