Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Speed - UPC Horizon

Options
  • 12-01-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I am using UPC Horizon Box and noticed today that my broadband speed was very slow. I ran some tests on speedtest.net and got 118 on Ethernet cable and only 42 on Wi-Fi. I tested also on my smartphone and got 40.

I called UPC and they told me that I should be getting in the region of 200 on Ethernet connection and that they would do a "factory reset" on the modem.

When I asked them what speed I should be getting using Wi-Fi on my PC, I was told 40-50.

I also said that I ran a test from my smartphone and got 42. They said that this is all I would ever get on a smartphone.

Is this just that their Wi-Fi unit in the Horizon box is crap, or would I only get that speed even if I bought my own router.

Also, is their view that all I could get on a smartphones is 40-50 correct?

T

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wifi unit on the Horizon box is crap, particularly on 2.4Ghz

However, you will have serious trouble going beyond about 120 (even when they sort it so that you do get 200 on a wire) over wifi. You would need to have 5Ghz kit end to end, router and all devices, use a 40Mhz channel, etc to go above that. The notional max speed is 300 but there's a huge difference in wifi between notional and actual. The reason you need to use 5Ghz is that the 2.4Ghz band is too narrow and also far too full - I pick up eight other peoples networks on 2.4Ghz and nobody else on 5 here.

Most smartphones purely aren't fast enough to go more than 50Mbits but some will. My Nexus 5, which isn't a heap of junk by any means, gets ~45mbits on my 5Ghz network when my laptop gets 120. Ridiculously it can go faster on 4G mobile networks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

First of all, I can get 200mb/s from wifi using my own hiqh quality wifi router in the same room on 802.11n at 5Ghz

Just FYI that decent performance is possible.

Secondly there is very little point in getting more the 20mb/s on a smartphone. What would you even use it for?

Generally on smartphones you only stream, your rarely download anything, so faster speeds aren't required.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

I am using UPC Horizon Box and noticed today that my broadband speed was very slow. I ran some tests on speedtest.net and got 118 on Ethernet cable and only 42 on Wi-Fi. I tested also on my smartphone and got 40.

I called UPC and they told me that I should be getting in the region of 200 on Ethernet connection and that they would do a "factory reset" on the modem.

When I asked them what speed I should be getting using Wi-Fi on my PC, I was told 40-50.

I also said that I ran a test from my smartphone and got 42. They said that this is all I would ever get on a smartphone.

Is this just that their Wi-Fi unit in the Horizon box is crap, or would I only get that speed even if I bought my own router.

Also, is their view that all I could get on a smartphones is 40-50 correct?

T
    I was also taken in by the UPC marketing blurb. I'm only getting about 15mps on download using wifi. Strangely the upload speed (which I expected to be about 1/10 of the download speed) is faster. I'm getting upload speeds of 25mps. Of course when I rang UPC I got the usual garbage. Oh well if you using wifi then we won't guarantee any speed. This is a complete cop out and I will be writing to them about it. They could not explain why the upload speeds were faster, so in time honoured fashion, they said they would reset the box and "see if that improved things".

Honestly their "technical people" are atrocious. SOlution for everything is "rest the box". It's like going to a mechanic with an engine problem and being told to turn it off and turn it back on again.

Does my head in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2.4Ghz Wifi is crap and UPC's routers are even worse at it. You won't get any satisfaction dealing with them about it either.

Use 5Ghz if you can, get a proper router if your UPC box doesn't do it or you want to go further than what it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Sorry to bump an old thread. Test 126meg wired but only 40meg max on wifi in same room.

Is another router the only option to increase the wifi speed? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

JG009 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread. Test 126meg wired but only 40meg max on wifi in same room.

Is another router the only option to increase the wifi speed? Thanks.

Hi JG009,

This would normally be caused by having a G class wireless device connected to the home network. That's a lower rated speed and an older standard.

WiFi speeds are expected to be lower than wired speeds due to the technology but you can find some tips here on how to get the most speed over WiFi http://www.upc.ie/wifi/

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

UPC: Brian wrote: »
    Hi JG009,

This would normally be caused by having a G class wireless device connected to the home network. That's a lower rated speed and an older standard.

WiFi speeds are expected to be lower than wired speeds due to the technology but you can find some tips here on how to get the most speed over WiFi http://www.upc.ie/wifi/

Thanks.

It is completely false advertising - you need to state clearly that for the vast majority of people who will be connecting over wifi (this is 2015 not 2005) they will get nowhere near 240 mb.
    I got upgraded from 120 to 240 - ran the speedtest before and after the upgrade. Result - slower speed after upgrade. You call UPC tech and then you get the usual nonsense.
    Customers would not be ringing you if you were honest. Just state what the wifi speeds will be not the cabled. Who has a cabled iPad, iPhone or laptop?
    Why do you treat customers like this?

It is completely false advertising - you need to state clearly that for the vast majority of people who will be connecting over wifi (this is 2015 not 2005) they will get nowhere near 240 mb.

No - its not. 240mbits is provided to the router (in most cases) and that's all that legally matters.

Wifi is an incredibly bad technology we're stuck using and anyone who expects 240 over it is somewhat delusional. Even extremely high grade, dual band ac kit is going to struggle to deliver that through a plasterboard wall let alone across a house; and the moment you turn on your old phone/table/Nintendo handheld that uses B or G you're back to dual-mode operation.

L1011 wrote: »
    No - its not. 240mbits is provided to the router (in most cases) and that's all that legally matters.

Wifi is an incredibly bad technology we're stuck using and anyone who expects 240 over it is somewhat delusional. Even extremely high grade, dual band ac kit is going to struggle to deliver that through a plasterboard wall let alone across a house; and the moment you turn on your old phone/table/Nintendo handheld that uses B or G you're back to dual-mode operation.
    Where in their advertising does it state that?

Where in their advertising does it state that?

Where does it state its offered on wifi? That's the important issue if you want your fantastical claims of "false advertising" to stand up.

Are you going to have the same complaints about Eircom's gigabit advertising? That cannot even be done in laboratory conditions on any existing wireless protocol.

• Advertisement

Where does it state its offered on wifi? That's the important issue if you want your fantastical claims of "false advertising" to stand up.

Are you going to have the same complaints about Eircom's gigabit advertising? That cannot even be done in laboratory conditions on any existing wireless protocol.

What fantastical claim did I make? Have you read my post? Have you looked at their website? They contrast their broadband (and the vast majority of users will be on Wifi not cabled) with Sky - they say for Sky 'up to 100'. For UPC - 240. No 'up to'.
    And if you contact them they will tell you you will get speeds of 240 on Wifi.
    What I am peeved about is that they know few people will be connected via a cable - just look at their ads on TV - is there anyone on a cable connection? As such, they need to make clear that it will not be anywhere near that speed on wifi. What is your problem with that?

What fantastical claim did I make? Have you read my post? Have you looked at their website? They contrast their broadband (and the vast majority of users will be on Wifi not cabled) with Sky - they say for Sky 'up to 100'. For UPC - 240. No 'up to'.
    And if you contact them they will tell you you will get speeds of 240 on Wifi.
    What I am peeved about is that they know few people will be connected via a cable - just look at their ads on TV - is there anyone on a cable connection? As such, they need to make clear that it will not be anywhere near that speed on wifi. What is your problem with that?

You claimed false advertising - that is a fantastical claim as it isn't the case.

Nowhere (other than in your mind) is it stated that you'll get 240 on wireless.

You claimed false advertising - that is a fantastical claim as it isn't the case.

Nowhere (other than in your mind) is it stated that you'll get 240 on wireless.

Where does it state that it does not? You are missing the point spectacularly.
    It states 240 on broadband. The majority of users are not on a cabled connection. The implication is that it is achievable on wifi. There is nothing fantastical to infer that my broadband connection will be 240 based on their advertising. Do you even know what the word fantastical means?
    Not going to engage with you anymore, you are tiresome.

Where does it state that it does not?

It doesn't need to. They provide 240mbits - a customer not having the suitable kit to use it (wired, gigabit network card) is irrelevant. For it to be "false advertising" they'd need to explicitly state 240 is available on wireless.

Good luck getting a complaint upheld due to your total misunderstanding. There's no implication, no suggestion, nothing.

Your logic here is equivalent to asking a car manufacturer to pay your speeding fines because the "majority of users" use roads with speed limits but they advertised a top speed above that. Wireless has very obvious and severe speed constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Show us a link to anything on UPCs site that is unclear as to the limits of WiFi?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The terms and conditions on the UPC site specifically say:
    The advertised broadband speed is the speed UPC deliver to the cable modem or Horizon box. 120Mb broadband, expected average speed during peak hours of at least 100Mb on a wired connection. 240Mb broadband, the expected average speed during peak hours of at least 180Mb on a wired connection. Other factors that may impact the actual speed experienced include the connection from your device(s) to the cable modem & the websites visited.

Note the bold is by me.

To see this:
    1) Go to http://www.upc.ie/broadband/
    2) Scroll Down and click on "Terms and Conditions"
    3) Click on "UPC Broadband"

So UPC only guarantee their speeds on a wired connection. And that is completely fair as wifi is a very fragile technology that can suffere from interference from all sorts of sources (insallation in the walls, microwave ovens, DECT phones, baby monitors, taxi radios, other wifi points, etc.).

Anyone with any technical knowledge would know that it is simply impossible to guarantee any speeds over wifi. You are asking for the impossible.

Advertisement