Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting ready for Secondary school - Bulking up

• 12-01-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Ok so my kid brother is 11 and secondary school is on the horizon for 2016. He's into his usual football and computer games etc but I would classify him as very slight and to be honest Id say he will get walked over heading into secondary school. Any advice on how to get him bulked up or ready for this. He is far too mothered, quite intelligent but doesnt act his age. To be honest I think he will be in for the shock of his life so just looking to get him ready without telling him (If that makes sense)

I was looking into Boxing training or Taekwondo etc (He tried this and hated it)
    Anything out there for this age group just to get him the basics so he can hold his own heading into secondary school in a year and a bit?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

For gods sake man. He's going into secondary school....not the supermax wing of Alcatraz.
    An 11 year old does not need to and should not "bulk up". He has already made it clear he's not into combat sports.

Cop yourself on. What age are you? You don't sound very mature anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Well cheers for the mature insightful reply, it was a simple question and a simple concern about ensuring he was ready for the step up as he is certainly not at the minute. Bulked up was probably the incorrect word to use but you know what I was getting at and making sure he wasnt trampled on. You dont know peoples circumstances but cheers anyway. The last time Ill be looking for advice in this forum anyway. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Bulking up at 11. He'll end up a midget. Stupid idea. Tell him to eat his vegetables

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's school, not Fight Club. Leave him be. If he needs help, let him know you're there for advice. Or your parents might be a better idea, in this case.

As I said bulked up was the wrong word to use. Talk about jumping on someone for asking a question, I see this is a very open forum to ask for advice anyway. Anyway enough said on the matter. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I was looking into Boxing training or Taekwondo etc (He tried this and hated it)

Therein lies the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

When I was in secondary school there was boys the same age in my class who were almost half my size but they were never beaten up for it. In fact one of them beat the **** out of a 3rd year student.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. He won't be the only small one. There will be others less mature than him. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he knows he can talk to you :)

My lad starts this year. I'm terrified :) He's tall and clever and witty and good looking and nice and smart and cant kick a ball to save his life and the only time he runs fast is away from sport and he has no ''street sense'' and he's the most forgetful child on the planet.

I'm sure he'll meet a group with similar qualities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

You'd be surprised the speed by which most 6th class kids mature over the next 9 months. Leave him be and don't put pressure on him.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Kids come in all shapes and sizes. He won't be the only small one. There will be others less mature than him. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he knows he can talk to you :)

My lad starts this year. I'm terrified :) He's tall and clever and witty and good looking and nice and smart and cant kick a ball to save his life and the only time he runs fast is away from sport and he has no ''street sense'' and he's the most forgetful child on the planet.

Thanks for that, makes sense, suppose just wanted to look out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Lucyfur wrote: »

Sounds exactly like my son who started first year in September and not a bother on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

Thanks for that, makes sense, suppose just wanted to look out for him.

Unfortunately (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) this is the time you realise that you have no control over your brother's life.

Be there when he needs you, and don't be over his shoulder all the time. Otherwise you'll start to annoy him and he'll tell you nothing. He has to learn to fight his own battles and become his own person. And this may seem stupid, but he won't be the same person as you.

I understand the feeling as an older sibling myself, but quite soon you'll realise he's no longer a kid and isn't going to do what you say....and that's ok.

Sorry, but that's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I think it's lovely how you are looking out for your little bro. I wished I had that when I was a pre teen or even now in my thirties!!

He will only develop at his own pace, always let him know that you are there for him to go to sports, training etc if he wants to do it. It really issue decision. When he becomes a teen and more aware of his own body, he might be a gym junkie but if he prefers to go to the library and watch movies, that's who he is!
    Just continue to be there for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ladeeda

Obviously you're very worried about him which is understandable, this is a stressful time for us family members too. My child is about to go to secondary school and the amount of worry is unbelievable.

There are some great books on Amazon about how to handle yourself and prepare for bullies etc, no matter what you look like the most important thing is self confidence and not looking like an easy target.

Try boost his confidence speaking positively about secondary, making friends and about how clever he is, focus on his abilities and he will be FINE, so relax! I know that is easier said than done mind you!

Advertisement