Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Comments

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I have sky tv & UPC bb no problem.

But you're paying far more than the €35 a month I am for phone, Internet and TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Granted, UPC have the best broadband service, but no one can beat Sky for the number of HD channels, their On Demand service, Box Office Movies, best pvr box on the market, absolute fantastic picture quality, good - not excellent I will admit, customer service, but streets ahead of UPC's ( that wouldn't be hard to achieve), user friendly box, Epg, Sky Go etc. Now I know they are expensive and I'm no major fan of Sky, but you have to admit, they give you what you pay for. I don't mind paying for any service, as long as you get what you pay for. But I'm watching these forums for years, and no other service comes in for the criticism that UPC get, so everyone can't be wrong. You'll see criticism about Sky's prices, but never about the quality of their products or service. If people want to keep putting up with the appalling tv service that UPC/Horizon supplies , then go right ahead and part with your hard earned cash to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

pippip wrote: »
    To be fair thats an awful setup and comparison.

The sender is no use for when two people want to watch different channels, thats if you get it working without interference.

And your hardly comparing watching mobile devices to a HD 42" connected with HDMI.

Sky is dearer but with UPC's latest price increases their really isn't too much in the difference if like me you don't need super broadband speeds and only one multiroom (which I could probably suffice with a Freeview box instead).

My sender works without interference from the front room too my bedroom. Me and the Miss's watch this box for either location . We also have a soarview box connected too the tv in our room. Our 9 year old has sky go on her laptop connected via hdmi too her tv so the picture is hd. I also run net flicks via this laptop for her. It works great for us but may not for larger family's I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

My sender works without interference from the front room too my bedroom. Me and the Miss's watch this box for either location . We also have a soarview box connected too the tv in our room. Our 9 year old has sky go on her laptop connected via hdmi too her tv so the picture is hd. I also run net flicks via this laptop for her. It works great for us but may not for larger family's I understand

I'm open to correction but I dont think SKY Go is broadcast in HD.

As I said your setup works for you and thats fine but it would never work for my house or I'd say many others so you cannot really compare it to a standard setup from upc versus sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just get 1 sky box. Buy a channel sender in argos for 30 quid and set up sky go on 2 mobile devices all whilst keeping your chorus bb.

Can you watch 2 different channels with a channel sender. I like my technology to work without any messing?

I really couldn't be bothered watching TV on a mobile device. And can't understand those that do.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you watch 2 different channels with a channel sender. I like my technology to work without any messing?

I really couldn't be bothered watching TV on a mobile device. And can't understand those that do.
    No the channel sender is only for sending same picture too different rooms. The sky go works from a laptop too tv via hdmi and is like a second box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

pippip wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I dont think SKY Go is broadcast in HD.

As I said your setup works for you and thats fine but it would never work for my house or I'd say many others so you cannot really compare it to a standard setup from upc versus sky.

Sky go is 720p AFAIK.

I don't know what the regular Sky or UPC are. Are they 1080?

Of course just because the channel is HD doesn't mean the program is being broadcast in HD.

The Sky Go works ok. I prefer Netflix though. I found the Sky Go slow through the white box they supply (wifi only) so I got an app for my TV that works without the box and its much better as the TV is wired directly to the modem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I can't get sky in my building but I doubt I'd have it anyway, there are a lot of really little things about it that bug the crap out me .

Simple little things like when you click guide it goes back to the start and not to the channel you are on, so if you are down in the 600's or whatever you have to go all the way down again each time. Also how all the channels you don't have with your subscription are still listed, and favourites is not default, you have to select it each time. I just prefer the way you scroll through the channels with upc - not the same with sky. Possibly my imagination but there seems to be a whole lot more junk on sky. I know most people would disagree but thats just me.

I just wish they made upc slightly better but for the most part I'm happy enough with the old box. Way better than Horizon which I sent back after 2 weeks.

I think the people who designed Horizon should be named, put in stocks in a town centre to be publicly humiliated.

No the channel sender is only for sending same picture too different rooms. The sky go works from a laptop too tv via hdmi and is like a second box

So basically the channel sender is useless as regards multi room. You may aswell unplug the other box and bring it with you.

As regards using a laptop, that's messing aswell the screen is to small

Here's the sound going. press stop and play again and it comes back. pretty pathetic engineering.

• Advertisement

The newest thing is recordings stopping mid way and a little note at the bottom telling me that recording failed as I'm not subscribed to the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

The newest thing is recordings stopping mid way and a little note at the bottom telling me that recording failed as I'm not subscribed to the channel.

That would really annoy me. I hate that restrictions thing. Itv4 always at it

steveone wrote: »
    That would really annoy me. I hate that restrictions thing. Itv4 always at it

It's nothing to do with region restriction. I can understand why certain programmes are blocked but this is just UPC making a balls of it. Films on MGM, TCM, C4 and BBC2 have all stopped after 30 minutes or so with the explanation being that I'm not a subscriber to the channel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Happened to me with the Moto GP on ITV4 on Monday. Recorded 2 seconds of it. But others said they watched it ok. Whats the deal?

Set up series record on Mammon last night and went into the planner today to find that it had recorded it in the main channel and on +1. It also has it set up to record episode one again tonight on both the main and +1 and is set up that way for every week. Talk about a ridiculous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Set up series record on Mammon last night and went into the planner today to find that it had recorded it in the main channel and on +1. It also has it set up to record episode one again tonight on both the main and +1 and is set up that way for every week. Talk about a ridiculous system.

In settings, recordings and reminders, recordings, series recordings there's an option to record a series off one or all channels. That may have been what caused this?

onform wrote: »
    In settings, recordings and reminders, recordings, series recordings there's an option to record a series off one or all channels. That may have been what caused this?

Already checked that and everything should record just once. Rang UPC and their answer was that it must be a fault on More4's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I had the same problem for lots of shows - almost filled up the box with repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Does anyone know how to delete a full series or is this no longer an option. Also What is with the "Delete All" option on the menu for all recordings - seems a mad thing to make so easy to select - is there any way of removing this as kids are liable to remove everythign from our box.

AlanG wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to delete a full series or is this no longer an option. Also What is with the "Delete All" option on the menu for all recordings - seems a mad thing to make so easy to select - is there any way of removing this as kids are liable to remove everythign from our box.

Love to know this also. Only an idiot would put that option there.

With the box being laggy, you often select it by accident.

I was deleting a load of programs from a series last night and the box hung then when it restart everything that wasn't locked was gone. I'd have thought it was the delete all but I know not do go into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Here's a horizon gem...

Checked disk space and was almost full. Noticed the box had been recording a 4 hour radio programme every night for past 6 weeks. Never set the box to record it. And couldn't delete it either manually or through the planner so was stuck with this recording eating up disk space.
    Tech support never heard of the problem. The engineer who called out ended up doing a factory reset on the box which allowed the recording to be deleted in the planner but I'm still stuck with 40 odd recordings that can't be deleted as the box just won't allow it!?!

Worst piece of crap ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sound went while watching TG4 HD last night. Luckily I was watching a programme with subtitles so it didn't affect too much, but it's annoying how many glitches you get just watching TV. Turning the TV off and on again didn't fix it. It just came back and dropped out again every 10 minutes or so.

Between that, and the channels going entirely..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SteM

Does anyone know how to delete a full series or is this no longer an option.

Not an option with Horizon. Been told that it will be added but we've been told that since we got the box on trial ages ago. Another one that bothers me is if today is Tuesday and I want to record something on C4 on Saturday I have to load the EPG and scroll through the TV guide for 5 days until I find the program I want to record. No way to just jump to Saturdays programming! Farcical that useful functionality that was available on their old PVR was not transferred across.
    Also What is with the "Delete All" option on the menu for all recordings - seems a mad thing to make so easy to select - is there any way of removing this as kids are liable to remove everythign from our box.

Yup, we've already fallen prey to that one. There should be a prompt to enter the pin code when you select this option. How often do UPC think a person would want to delete EVERYTHING on the box rather a full series? For a newly designed box it's pretty poor. So much potential wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sylphy

For a while the "Delete Everything" was listed as "Delete Everything Warning!" so that was a tiny improvement - now it's back to "Delete Everything".

I agree that it makes no sense to be located in this directory, there is a Recording section under the Settings - why is Delete Everything not located there. It's not like it's a choice that will be used regularly. And why would you put it beside "Delete" in the any case. I don't leave my car keys by the cactus because I know, one day, there will be tears.

There should be a way to select Days in the EPG, there should also be a "page down" option.

I'm having a new problem now where the EPG (in single channel or by time view) starts auto-scrolling randomly.

What else ... there should be some feedback for button presses to know that your input has been received.

What angers me the most (at the moment) is that I contacted UPC in December/ January to see if it was possible to view all scheduled reminders/ recordings and was told that they don't. But if you schedule more than 4 programs for recording at the same time you get an error saying you can't record anymore do you want to resolve this? From here you can see all the recording for that time. So they can do it, they just didn't.

"So much potential wasted" - SteM.
    Sums it up perfectly - the software is ruining what should be a great piece of tech and UPC don't care.

+1 software seems very poor.
    Router seems very poor.

Two major issues right there.

Taken from another forum about wrestling
    Dunno if this belongs here or if anyone experienced the same but I'm in Ireland and ordered Mania through UPC (can't get Sky due to apartment rules). Anyway when the show started, the listing stated 'Channel off Air'. Although it was broadcasting mania, half of the screen was covered with 'how to order' details.

Totally ruined the night as a few of us took Monday off work and stayed up to watch it. Rang them this morning and have them hell. They were aware of the problem and have me a full refund. It's up and running properly now so just watching it again with a full screen.

Just wondering if any other Irish fans experienced this. I have a UPC Horizon box FYI.

Took a few pictures of what happened when I tried to watch Gator which I had recorded to the box. Sent them to UPC and when I spoke to them on the phone they tried to tell mr that my issue was with MGM and not then. They argued that the box works perfectly and the only complaints are from people looking for "freebies.

Throughout the film it repeatedly went black, sound dropped more often than a hookers panties on a Friday night and scenes repeated on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Took a few pictures of what happened when I tried to watch Gator which I had recorded to the box. Sent them to UPC and when I spoke to them on the phone they tried to tell mr that my issue was with MGM and not then. They argued that the box works perfectly and the only complaints are from people looking for "freebies.

That is much the same reply I was given when I had a few issues.
    I told them that I was on boards.ie and they said that people on there only want to moan!
    That was when I knew there was no point in talking any further

They sound like very smart and highly trained customer service reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 danom8

I've had Horizon installed since it was bring trialled. One thing that I will say speeded up my box no end was taking my television of the box. It's almost like as if having any weight at all on the top of the Horizon box renders it almost unusable in terms of speed. Not sure if it's just me but if you do have anything on top of the STB I'd say to take it off.

Advertisement