Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon TV- Awful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I got UPC to swap out the set top box. They uninstalled the horizon box and replaced it with a Cisco box. I previously had the broadband and phone debundled as it would not work with my LG smart TV.

All working well now, The Cisco box can be a bit slow to respond but otherwise OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm old and a complete numpty with these things, so bear with me...:o

Issue i'm having is with freezing, ie. remote buttons do nothing, have to switch the box off at the back and start over....happened a couple of times while watching YouTube ....
    Also, i have a surround sound/sub rigged up which i like to use for the radio......BUT it will only work if the TV is on..., is there a setting for this.??...I have "enabeled" the scart outlet btw...worked fine on the old box...anyone ideas..??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had problems with the remote freezing and it was my LG smart TV was not compatable with the Horizon Box. I got a seperate modem from UPC for the wifi and this was sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Without having read through all of the Horizon stuff on here.....

I presume a lot of you have experienced the same problem I am when it comes to recording shows. If you set something to record it records a few minutes of the show before it starts and then as a result manages to stop recording prematurely and the end of the show being cut off.

Hugely frustrating and a massive problem for this machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

panama wrote: »
    ...If you set something to record it records a few minutes of the show before it starts and then as a result manages to stop recording prematurely and the end of the show being cut off...

Go into settings for recordings and set it up to record for some time after the scheduled end time of the programme. That should solve your problem.

• Advertisement

Horizuon really is a terrible piece of broken crap. Since setting it up last Friday I've had numerous issues with the box repeatedly deciding to turn itself off, stopping recording mid programme, sound coming and going during playback, the screen going black and subtitles disappearing or playing 20 seconds late. My parents have Sky at home and they haven't had a tenth the issues I've had over the past few days. UPC recommended I plug out the box and reset it. They also blamed the sound and subtitle issues on the channel providers and not themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Horizuon really is a terrible piece of broken crap. Since setting it up last Friday I've had numerous issues with the box repeatedly deciding to turn itself off, stopping recording mid programme, sound coming and going during playback, the screen going black and subtitles disappearing or playing 20 seconds late. My parents have Sky at home and they haven't had a tenth the issues I've had over the past few days. UPC recommended I plug out the box and reset it. They also blamed the sound and subtitle issues on the channel providers and not themselves.

Having the same issue with watching recordings, just stops and the remote does nothing...have to turn off/on...very pi$$ed off with it after two weeks....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

I totally emphasise with all comments. It is dire.!
    If it's not one issue with a customer it's another.
    Very poor response from UPC they don't say nothing much about the true issues that are bothering customers.
    And I thought it was love!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I got this horizon box toady and sweet baby Jesus its terrible to operate.
    It's such a mess, such a chore to change, find and browse channels.

Can I give this back?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

I have Horizon too and I like the layout and menu but I would agree it's seriously temperamental at times.

Issues noted so far:

- Noisy as hell, specifically the fan but constant slight hum from hard drive.
    - Switches on and off unexpectedly (rarely, mind you)
    - When live TV is paused 50% of the time when you press play there is no volume
    - Digital distortion (sound/picture) on some channels, which was not an occurrence on an older 'silver HDR box'
    - Twonky service using laptop can be hit an miss. Sometimes it just wont stream

What are my options for a fix?

Ring, wait a long time to speak to someone.
    Then be at home between 1-6 for a call out.
    That's nearly a whole day off work!
    I just cant do that for TV

• Advertisement

Had to stop myself bouncing my horizion box off the wall earlier. It really can be a terrible piece of crap. Recorded The Pope Must Die and during playback the picture froze 27 times, sound dropped out 14 times, the screen had green lines through it on 6 occasions, screen went black 4 times and it was completely out of synch for most of the run time.

Recorded Get Carter last night and after the debacle of The Pope Must Die felt that watching one of my all time favourite films would be a good idea. Sadly it was every bit the horrible experience. Sound repeatedly disappeared, picture froze, etc.

I tried 7 HDMI cables, 2 TVs, 2monitirs and even brought the box over to a friends to try it and each time had the same issues. It really does seem as if UPC rushed the Horizion box and gave us a piece of hardware that at the best of times will function as described and for the other 80% of the time will do it's best to make the viewing experience as painful as possible.

Had to stop myself bouncing my horizion box off the wall earlier. It really can be a terrible piece of crap. Recorded The Pope Must Die and during playback the picture froze 27 times, sound dropped out 14 times, the screen had green lines through it on 6 occasions, screen went black 4 times and it was completely out of synch for most of the run time.

Jasus that sounds bad, I have issues with the box but nothing as bad as that. I record a lot of programmes for the kids.
    It is annoying that so many fundamental issues are what the problems are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Recorded Get Carter last night and after the debacle of The Pope Must Die felt that watching one of my all time favourite films would be a good idea. Sadly it was every bit the horrible experience. Sound repeatedly disappeared, picture froze, etc.

I tried 7 HDMI cables, 2 TVs, 2monitirs and even brought the box over to a friends to try it and each time had the same issues. It really does seem as if UPC rushed the Horizion box and gave us a piece of hardware that at the best of times will function as described and for the other 80% of the time will do it's best to make the viewing experience as painful as possible.

I have this sort of messing once in a blue moon. I'd be onto UPC and demand a new box, it does really seem to be a quality issue with the boxes as other have reported such issues and then with a new box all is fine. They must be a poor build quality.

They certainly cut too many corners on this one.
    The gas thing is they will not admit to any fault of the hardware. They send a technician out to check and rewire. That's about it.
    As I said before, UPC have a bad attitude towards their customers.

I got a deal with the recent price hike as many others did. In this I "upgraded", I use the term loosely, to the horizon box.

Now I have to say when the 12 months is up and my price goes up again I will be hard pressed to continue with this if they haven't made vast improvements in the firmware of the box.

I know some problems like Faith Clean Puppeteer is having are a bit unique to that box and others don't experience it so bad but there are so so many problems are just down to poor design, like no delete series button, and the number of buttons presses it takes to do so many simple things. And why on gods earth did they put a delete everything option in every menu, that one seems the most bizarre to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Every time I see someone post in one of these Horizon tv threads I just have to thank my lucky stars I managed to get rid of my god-awful boxes(plural! I tried more than one). And to make matters worse, when I eventually did manage to get the contract cancelled, they decided they'd continue to dip into my bank account and take money they weren't entitled to anyway. Oh, this didn't just happen once either. When I got my bank to claim the money back from UPC on My behalf, I also had the good sense to put a block on them attempting to take any more in the future, you know, just in case they really were a bunch of low-life pick-pockets. And what do ya know? The very next month they attempted to take yet another payment.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever give custom to UPC ever again.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

gufnork wrote: »
    Every time I see someone post in one of these Horizon tv threads I just have to thank my lucky stars I managed to get rid of my god-awful boxes(plural! I tried more than one). And to make matters worse, when I eventually did manage to get the contract cancelled, they decided they'd continue to dip into my bank account and take money they weren't entitled to anyway. Oh, this didn't just happen once either. When I got my bank to claim the money back from UPC on My behalf, I also had the good sense to put a block on them attempting to take any more in the future, you know, just in case they really were a bunch of low-life pick-pockets. And what do ya know? The very next month they attempted to take yet another payment.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever give custom to UPC ever again.

/rant

Agree with everything. Sky actually covered my UPC cancellation fee when I said I wanted to return to them after a couple of weeks with Horizon. I really can not believe that UPC have not sorted these UI issues yet. I think whoever designed it and the menu layouts was drunk.

Tzardine wrote: »
    really can not believe that UPC have not sorted these UI issues yet. I think whoever designed it and the menu layouts was drunk

The technicians that do the house calls are subbies and only take care of the wiring and download and upload speeds.
    I went through all the issues I had with the UI and he just laughed. "Nothing to do with me mate".
    I phoned customer care and some awlone was quiet nasty on the phone saying there is nothing wrong with the UI. Who are they trying to con! !! I'm years working on pc's etc and know a lot more than them eejits put together.

Every time I sit down to watch tv the whole UI interface really bugs me.
    Dreadful.

Threw on Bait which I recorded last night and within the first 8 minutes the sound dropped twice, picture froze three times and it went black for a good 30 seconds. Rang UPC and the cow I was speaking to was as helpful as a kick in the nuts. She repeatedly implied I was pulling done scam looking for a "second box for your bedroom" and when I spoke about the issues called me a liar. According to her the box is perfect and they've never had any complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Threw on Bait which I recorded last night and within the first 8 minutes the sound dropped twice, picture froze three times and it went black for a good 30 seconds. Rang UPC and the cow I was speaking to was as helpful as a kick in the nuts. She repeatedly implied I was pulling done scam looking for a "second box for your bedroom" and when I spoke about the issues called me a liar. According to her the box is perfect and they've never had any complaints
    Get out your phone, or better still a digital camera sitting on a tripod or table, and film your experience. I did this to get them to replace a dodgy remote. Send in the video to the CEO, and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Tell them to send out a technician as it is not working and they will replace the box on the spot, happened to me with the older HD box i had with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

RainyDay wrote: »
    Get out your phone, or better still a digital camera sitting on a tripod or table, and film your experience. I did this to get them to replace a dodgy remote. Send in the video to the CEO, and see what happens.

Done this with mobile phones that were having problems. Video the problem and send it in. Or a link to where you've uploaded it on line.

Way ahead of all of you. Have documented the issues and demanded a new box be sent out. If a new box doesn't sort the issues out then I told them that someone will have to come out and check everything out. Wong be getting a penny for the service till it works as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭galtee boy

To everyone who has posted on this thread, why the hell don't ye just tell UPC to stick their Horizon Boxes where the sun doesn't shine and move to Sky ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    To everyone who has posted on this thread, why the hell don't ye just tell UPC to stick their Horizon Boxes where the sun doesn't shine and move to Sky ?

Because UPC Internet is superior to Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its also cheaper to get UPC TV if you are already getting UPC BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

galtee boy wrote: »

By the time you add muti room, HD and broadband Sky are way more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Serenity Cuddly Glass

Because UPC Internet is superior to Sky.

I have sky tv & UPC bb no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Serenity Cuddly Glass

ted1 wrote: »
    By the time you add muti room, HD and broadband Sky are way more expensive

Just get 1 sky box. Buy a channel sender in argos for 30 quid and set up sky go on 2 mobile devices all whilst keeping your chorus bb.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Just get 1 sky box. Buy a channel sender in argos for 30 quid and set up sky go on 2 mobile devices all whilst keeping your chorus bb.

To be fair thats an awful setup and comparison.

The sender is no use for when two people want to watch different channels, thats if you get it working without interference.

And your hardly comparing watching mobile devices to a HD 42" connected with HDMI.

Sky is dearer but with UPC's latest price increases their really isn't too much in the difference if like me you don't need super broadband speeds and only one multiroom (which I could probably suffice with a Freeview box instead).

Advertisement