Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Duaghter won't wear knickers

• 09-01-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My 16 year old daughter refuses to wear underwear. She says it is unhygienic! she says air must be allowed circulate and that is how nature intended it. She says humans were around for millions of years before underwear was invented and got on just fine. She says a lot of her friends don't wear underwear either. I am at my wits end with her as she is very stubborn. Her father was the same although she hasn't seen him since she was 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

So presumably she's only wearing trousers then? Aren't jeans uncomfortable? She'll probably end up getting infections as well.

To be honest, I'd ignore her. I doubt lots of her friends aren't wearing underwear and it sounds like something she's doing for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

She is winding you up. I would get all of her underwear and put it out of reach and see how longs she lasts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

Leave the heating off and a window open....she'll put some on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm sure she will wear them at least one week of the month no???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have a serious problem with shirt tags which is one of the symptoms listed here http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/tactile-defensiveness.html. You would not believe how a simple tag in a shirt will drive me mad with itching, so all the tags have to come out of my clothes I even wear vests inside out so the tags aren't next to my skin. Another one that gets me are seams down the sides of shirts vests or whats next to my skin, although not as bad as the tags. I nearly forgot socks with seams are hell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Serious question, what is the problem with her not wearing them?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP I'm assuming she's not going around in a skirt then? Ask her where she heard that it way unhygienic. TBH plain 100% cotton undies will allow air to circulate perfectly well, and she'll be able to wear a panty liner every day or pads around that time of the month. It sounds to me like she's either winding you up, or her and a group of her friends have taken a strange notion into their heads about knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I'd just let her. I never had any notions like that, but when I was 16, if my parents tried to tell me what to do I'd dig my heels in and do the opposite.

She's surely at least wearing knickers while on her period. If she doesn't the rest of the time, it's her prerogative. Bit weird sure, but she sounds like she has no intention of listening to you so I'd just leave it and let her come round in her own time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

whats the problem?

Just let her get on with it.

rarely wear them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

O/P here. Thanks for all the replies. My daughter refuses to wear trousers. This has been going on for about a year. She says that there would be true womens lib if men had been made wear trousers rather than women wearing them! She has some king of a concoction she sewed herself when she menstruates. Mostly she wears longs skirts but sometimes she wears short dresses. I am mortified that she will have an accident and be left lying in the road naked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Turn off the central heating and leave the windows open for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

O/P here. Thanks for all the replies. My daughter refuses to wear trousers. This has been going on for about a year. She says that there would be true womens lib if men had been made wear trousers rather than women wearing them! She has some king of a concoction she sewed herself when she menstruates. Mostly she wears longs skirts but sometimes she wears short dresses. I am mortified that she will have an accident and be left lying in the road naked.

Surely if she had an accident you'd be more concerned about her medical condition rather than any potential loss of dignity?

Sounds like she has some strange notions, but she's old enough to decide for herself. I don't think there's any point in trying to force her. And there's nothing wrong with reusable pads (if that's the "concoction" you mention) - I wouldn't use them myself, but if she's happy using them and maintains appropriate personal hygiene standards, let her at it.

There's worse things a sixteen year old could get up to! Making a big deal about this will probably only make her act more stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Am I the only person who thinks OP is trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

me0w wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks OP is trolling?

If you assume trolling report the post rather than posting on thread about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement