Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buchanan Clarke & Wells

• 26-07-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hi all,

-- short story --

Rented a room in an apartment. My name was wrongly put on someone else's esb account that had arrears on it. Thought I had gotten my name removed but turned out it wasn't removed. Got landlord to ensure my name was removed from the account as it was their mistake which I then confirmed with the esb as having been removed (it was esb's mistake too).

Debt had already passed to "Buchanan Clarke & Wells". They only have my number and not the number of the person who owes the debt. They keep ringing me saying I owe the money (saying my name) and say they have confirmed the names with the ESB 3 months ago.

I have confirmed again with the ESB that my name is not on the account where the money is owed.

How do I stop them harrassing me?
    Does anyone have a contact number for them in Ireland?

-- long story --

I rented a room last year in an apartment where there was no one else living. After two months the landlord moved in a scumbag alcoholic from another apartment in the apartment complex because he couldn't afford the two bedroom apartment he was living in due to his partner leaving him.

When they moved him in they moved his ESB account to my apartment and put my name on it (even though I already had an esb account in my name). They were supposed to create a new ESB account and not put me on his account.

When I received a bill two or so months later I saw that there were arrears owed on the bill. I then started to sort out the account when I saw what had happened and got my name removed from the account (or so I had thought).

The scumbag did a runner a month later and I got my esb account put back on the apartment.

Around december I started getting calls from "Buchanan Clarke & Wells" to whom I explained the situation. They said fine and there were no more calls for the next month or two.

The calls started again and I contacted back the ESB only to find out that my name hadnt been removed from the account. They would not let me remove my name as it had to be done by the landlord. I then got the landlord to remove my name which they did and I confirmed with the ESB that it was done.

Now "Buchanan Clarke & Wells" are ringing again saying that I owe the money and that they verified 3 months ago that I owed the money. This would have been around the time the names were definitely changed.

From what I have read on the net these guys are scumbags that will hassle anyone they have a number for. The problem here is they only have my number and not the number of the scumbag that owed the money.

I have just confirmed again with the ESB that my name is not on the accounts and I have told "Buchanan Clarke & Wells" this when they rang but they won't give me any information unless I give them personal information.

Thanks for any help/advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I would ask for written evidence that the sum is owed by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would report their harassment to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I finally found a number for them in Blanchardstown but they refused to ring the ESB to verify that my name has nothing to do with the debt even though I told them I had just confirmed that with the ESB a few moments earlier.

I just rang the esb and explained the situation. They re-affirmed that I did not owe the debt and that I should not be contacted about it by anyone. They said at the time the debt was passed my phone number was on it but at no time was my name passed on as I did not owe the debt. The ESB are getting their external agencies dept to contact the debt collection company directly to tell them to stop contacting me. Fair play to the ESB for being very helpful here.

It seems that Buchanan Clarke & Wells were chancing their arm by saying I owed the debt and they must have looked up my name from my phone number in order to get it as I never gave it to them. They actually told me that my credit rating would be affected by me not paying the debt.

Is it the data protection I report them too or who would be the best agency to give them a slap on the wrist?

axer wrote: »
    Is it the data protection I report them too or who would be the best agency to give them a slap on the wrist?

Yes. If the ESB don't correct this, report their breech of your privacy to the data protection office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jor el wrote: »
    Yes. If the ESB don't correct this, report their breech of your privacy to the data protection office.
    I would asume that the debt collection agency having my name on record as owing the debt even though they were never passed that information would be more at fault. I don't mind if my phone number was passed as it is possible that the landlord only requested that the name be taken off without requesting the number be removed also. What I don't like is the difference between them having the wrong number and pushing the owner of the phone number as owing the debt. It is the person that owes the debt not the phone number.

Edit: and not only about them trying to force me to pay this debt but also from a data protection point of view, they had incorrect data stored about me and I requested that they amend it but they refused to do so.

I will cotact the data protection office about this. I think the biggest problem is that from what I know debt collection agencies are unregulated.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    I would asume that the debt collection agency having my name on record as owing the debt even though they were never passed that information would be more at fault.

Not really. Someone gave them your name, and that can only be the ESB. The ESB are at fault here, and your phone number is private information too, which they should not have passed on.

The ESB will be responsible for getting their contractor to remove all of your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rubywax

i gave someone a loan of money & wondered if i would be crazy to ask buchanon to try help me get it back. i have gone down all roads with no success

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sjcromwell

They are harassing me for money they claim I owe to Eircom, but it was already paid over two months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Id buy a whistle and use it every-time they call. Some sore ears should slow them down calling you, some heavy breathing could be fun too :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Jayson Few Quintet

JoeySully wrote: »
    Id buy a whistle and use it every-time they call. Some sore ears should slow them down calling you, some heavy breathing could be fun too :D.

Whistle blasts don't work with digital exchanges nowadays! Hanging up is much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sjcromwell wrote: »
    They are harassing me for money they claim I owe to Eircom, but it was already paid over two months ago.

Tell them to stop harassing and that you will enter no further discussion with them. Inform them that you withdraw your consent to be contacted. If they continue to call you then contact the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Anyone know if they will accept a smaller payment to clear a debt of 300 euro being repaid at 5 euro a week?
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: 2 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement