Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Teachers Lied To Us

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    To be fair on todays teachers how the hell do they explain George W with a straight face?

Would he actually be mentioned in the schoolbooks yet?

• It'd be more interesting to read how the school history books recount him in twenty years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Yeah our teacher used to say you needed to dial into God by blessing yourself, and then at the end, don't forget to put the phone down.

Thats class....pity I dont get the same sort of coverage these days!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

It'd be more interesting to read how the school history books recount him in twenty years time.

+a millty

• My teacher told us that in the future (1970's) most roads will be covered in weeds as oil would have run out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

we got all the usual ones
    - the Leaving Cert is the most important exam you'll ever do
    - you'll get pregnant by kissing a boy
    - A girl can't do Physics and Chemistry, would you not consider home economics?
    - Always put every scrap of achievement and experience on your cv. In 30 years someone will want to know your intercert results
    - you have to go to the deportment classes - some day you will have to entertain your husbands business associates and you need to know how to serve refreshments.
    - you need to study 4 hours a night in 5th and 6th year to pass your leaving cert

I've never heard the dial in to God one before

we got all the usual ones
    - the Leaving Cert is the most important exam you'll ever do

Ha!

Seriously. When are they going to make the last 6 years of school more relevant to life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Evenescent

Well eh the Leaving Cert is pretty much the most important exam for some people. It is your gate way into college.

It is undoubtedly the most stressfull too.

And before ye start preaching, yes I have my B.A (hons) and do know what college exams are like.

'Tis just the amount of subjects you have to take on in the L.C. 'tis crazy.

Evenescent wrote: »
    Well eh the Leaving Cert is pretty much the most important exam for some people. It is your gate way into college.

It is undoubtedly the most stressfull too.

Apart from Maths and English name one relevant thing from your LC that you use in every day life?

Apart from Maths and English name one relevant thing from your LC that you use in every day life?

everything we do - people we interact with - things we go through are all relevant to life. all the bad and good you go through makes and shapes you as a person.

the leaving cert gets you into college. and yes it is a pain in the ass and many people choose careers with no refernece to any of their subjects in the leaving cert. but the harsh reality of it is - it has to be done. we are assesed on our performance in our final year in school.

so depending on your circumstance and job many things can be relevant to your Leaving Cert.

I did a Philosophy degree so the Leaving cert would not have as much relevance to me as a secondary teacher for example..

• Advertisement

oh and maths - Painful !! . relevance other than addition and subtraction in my life? sfa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So what other school "rules" turned out to be myths?

What rules do you not like to follow?

What about the one about unsolicited PMs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

All these examples explain perfectly why I home-educate my children - they've never been to school and if I have my way, never will.

I remember being told that at 12.00 the sun is completely overhead, and to check during lunch break. I did, and it wasn't. Now, of course, I realise that except on the equator the sun is NEVER totally overhead; that in Ireland it's only at its highest on 21st June; that we're 4 minutes (I think) west of Greenwich so our clock and the sun is always that 4 minutes out, and that we may well have been in daylight savings time which puts us out another hour. So the teacher was wrong on four counts.

The sad thing is that I just shook my head in confusion and never queried it with her - just one more of the inconcistencies we put up with at school.

everything we do - people we interact with - things we go through are all relevant to life. all the bad and good you go through makes and shapes you as a person.

You can learn all that without going to school. Indeed, as thousands of home-educated kids have found, you get to learn it even better cos you're out in the real world interacting with real people and having a real life.

the leaving cert gets you into college. and yes it is a pain in the ass and many people choose careers with no refernece to any of their subjects in the leaving cert. but the harsh reality of it is - it has to be done. we are assesed on our performance in our final year in school.

You can get into college w/o a Leaving Cert. You do a PLC course, do FETAC exams from there, and use those to get into college.

EcoGirl wrote: »
    All these examples explain perfectly why I home-educate my children - they've never been to school and if I have my way, never will.

I remember being told that at 12.00 the sun is completely overhead, and to check during lunch break. I did, and it wasn't. Now, of course, I realise that except on the equator the sun is NEVER totally overhead; that in Ireland it's only at its highest on 21st June; that we're 4 minutes (I think) west of Greenwich so our clock and the sun is always that 4 minutes out, and that we may well have been in daylight savings time which puts us out another hour. So the teacher was wrong on four counts.

The sad thing is that I just shook my head in confusion and never queried it with her - just one more of the inconcistencies we put up with at school.

You can learn all that without going to school. Indeed, as thousands of home-educated kids have found, you get to learn it even better cos you're out in the real world interacting with real people and having a real life.

You can get into college w/o a Leaving Cert. You do a PLC course, do FETAC exams from there, and use those to get into college.

ok i dont understand some people who post on these things. please read my comments correctly. the leaving cert is very important for 'some people' i too will be educating my kids from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

As a newly qualified primary school teacher, I now wonder all the things I'll be saying to the kiddies and if they'll be recalling them on here in years to come!!!:D:D

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    As a newly qualified primary school teacher, I now wonder all the things I'll be saying to the kiddies and if they'll be recalling them on here in years to come!!!:D:D

I see you're from Cork/Limerick so either they wont understand a word you say or you'll shoot them all when they dont listen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I before E except after C?

That's some weird ancient science.

I before E except after C?

That's some weird ancient science.

And proven very wrong. The lying basthards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Fast_Mover wrote: »

They'll remember nothing except the times you burped/farted/shouted/gave them no homework:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I see you're from Cork/Limerick so either they wont understand a word you say or you'll shoot them all when they dont listen ;)
    1: I may be from Cork but I don't have that terrible thick cork accent! (Thankfully!)
    2: As for shooting them when they don't listen..I'd rather keep my job/have a clean criminal record thank you very much!
    They'll remember nothing except the times you burped/farted/shouted/gave them no homework:D
    Great..fun times ahead!!:D

• Advertisement

Hands up who remembers the first female teacher that gave them an erection that you tried to hide under the desk when she asked you what your thoughts were on the demographic transition chart of Germany?

Anyone?

Anyone??

*High Five*

• Registered Users Posts: 32,872 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hands up who remembers the first female teacher that gave them an erection that you tried to hide under the desk when she asked you what your thoughts were on the demographic transition chart of Germany?

Anyone?

Anyone??

*High Five*

She was a nun. I was asleep.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I found out that my partents were lying to me.
    It turns out that "Mammy" wasn't even her real name...

larryone wrote: »
    I found out that my partents were lying to me.
    It turns out that "Mammy" wasn't even her real name...

Fail

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    She was a nun. I was asleep.

Thats no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

javaboy wrote: »
    My business studies teacher told us her husband was a Garda and that all Garda's wives are given tape recorders. She told us she had this tape recorder in her bag recording us and that she was going to play it to our principal to show him our behaviour. Bear in mind that a) tape recorders could be had for a tenner in 1998 b) her husband wasn't a Garda c) we weren't six years old so that crap wasn't going to work anyway. She kept talking at the bag saying stuff like "Mr. Brown*, Derek has left his seat and is walking around the class."

I would say she lost all credibility there and then but she hadn't got any left to lose.

Funny lady.

*thinly disguised principal's name

Funniest thing I ever read on Boards! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Mt 6th class teacher was a nun, one time she described to us how people die from spontaneous combustion, quite regularly,,,,that was a lie, she did tell us also that one of us would be dead before we left school, she was right about that:( oh my god what a freak she was, shes still alive talking to god i assume

Redpunto wrote: »
    Mt 6th class teacher was a nun,,,,,, she did tell us also that one of us would be dead before we left school, she was right about that:(

:eek:

How was that hag allowed remain in that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I was told that:
    1. Evolution wasn't possible, we couldn't have come from monkeys because otherwise, of course, wouldn't monkeys be turning into people right now. I had never even heard of evolution, but my first thought was "Wouldn't it have taken millions of years, and we would have evolved from a ancient species of monkey, just as the current apes in the zoo would have evolved from different ancient species?". It's not like we're supposed to expect chimpanzees to fall out of the trees, shed their hair, put on a suit and hat and head off to work in the stock exchange?
    2. Abortion is murder
    3. It was completely normal to have 15 minutes of prayers in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon even if sometimes people missed their bus. I was shocked to find out that other classes didn't actually do this.
    4. Being taught to waltz in the corridor would give us a skill that would come in useful when we were older. It didn't. Apart from the humiliation of the other classes sniggering at us as they walked by.

• Advertisement

blah wrote: »
    [*]Being taught to waltz in the corridor would give us a skill that would come in useful when we were older. It didn't. Apart from the humiliation of the other classes sniggering at us as they walked by.
    [/LIST]

:pac:

Advertisement