Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question About U2 Irish Tour

• 17-06-2005 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

how much of the u2 concert is going to charity

"save the world bono"

i honestly do not know and am just wondering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

well if the manc gig is anything to go buy he asks everybody to text a number for 25p for makepovertyhistory.org.

at #20 sterling for a t-shirt and 15 stg for a programme, it'd want to be a hefty donation in fairness.

Having said all of this, if it wasn't for people like bono, geldof et al, who would speak up on the African plight, and even more importantly, would you listen if it was a johnny nomark?

Bono may be one of the richest rock stars on the planet, but remember he's been outspoken since day one, when he wasn't so rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbleBoy

U2 is a business like any other. It would be unreasonable to expect U2 to become a non-profit organisation. How could they afford all the drugs and groupies!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

"save the world bono"

0% I'd say... apart from the txt thing he seemed to ask in Manchester.
    I doubt the merchandising sales go to charity - this is where the band cleans up bigtime on tours.
    Did they sell the wristbands there too?

All they can do is increase awareness... and I think he'll give that a lot of time (as only Bono can!)
    As long as they blast out the hits, new and old.. i dont really care.

yup, they were selling wristbands too! :)

I can honestly say I'd have paid double to see them again. It's a fantastic show, of possibly the greatest band of all time. After that gig I had friends telling me that they're up there with the beatles now. I wouldn't disagree.

Old songs/new songs and a promise that theyre a band for the future as well!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

TheLedge wrote:
    yup, they were selling wristbands too! :)

I can honestly say I'd have paid double to see them again. It's a fantastic show, of possibly the greatest band of all time. After that gig I had friends telling me that they're up there with the beatles now. I wouldn't disagree.

Old songs/new songs and a promise that theyre a band for the future as well!!

:)

Cool.
    I had tickets, and was in Manchester for Tuesday, but had to come home.
    The rain held off and I'd say it was brilliant. And they played lots of my favourite songs!
    At least I've tickets for Dublin, and cant wait!
    What was the City of Manchester Stadium like for the gig?
    And how were the Bravery and Snow Patrol as support?

Are the T-shirts nice?
    I think they had special TShirts when they played Slane... I wonder if they'll do that again, along with the normal tour ones

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote:
    What was the City of Manchester Stadium like for the gig?
    'The Council House at Wastelands' as us United supporters like to call it! :D but It's a nice stadium, if a little sterile. y'know, not an awful lot of character about it, but great facilities all the same. I didn't think the crowd were as good as an Irish crowd, but I did go mental dancing/jumpin/leppin' with a load of scousers when 'Streets' came on. Loved that!
    whiskeyman wrote:
    And how were the Bravery and Snow Patrol as support?
    The bravery's sound blew out TWICE before they got going. Seem to be a decent band, but i don't know much/any of their stuff so can't comment too much.
    Snow Patrol are a good band. They put in a decent performance on tues I've gotta say. They have some nice crowd pleasing songs. Only on for 40 minutes or so but that was enough really! We were only there for one thing and one thing only.....U2!
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Are the T-shirts nice?

Gotta say I was do tempted to get a t-shirt, but at 20 quid sterling I thought it a little steep. They're well cool though. Loads of variations in design, male/female ones etc.

I was offered a ticket for Croker this week, but had to turn it down, as (a) it's a seated ticket (booooo!) and (b) it's on a monday.

BELIEVE THE HYPE!! They're just that GOOD! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

"save the world bono"

Why should bono donate any money 'to make poverty history'... Its not bono that the african countries are in debt to... He's campaigning for the larger nations etc who hold these debts over these countries to drop their debt to help africa....

As others have said, he is publicising something that he feels it is necessary to do...

<off topic>
    anyone got 2 spare standing tickets for croker???
    </off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BELIEVE THE HYPE!! They're just that GOOD!
    After seeing them Wednesday night I'd say dont believe the hype ,they are past it.
    The Vertigo tour is the worst I've seen ,going back to Zoo TV.
    The sound was very poor in the venue ,which I have to say is a superb arena.
    The facilities are state of the art.
    Going into the ground all food and drink was confiscated so as you had to buy it inside.
    The sound for the support bands was atrocious and it was only fixed half way thru Idlewild's set.
    Athlete were very good and the weather was fantastic .
    U2 came on late which was good as it enhanced the lighting effects.
    I thought the big screen would be very impressive but it was 50 minutes before it was fully utilised ,a desperate waste.
    The sound for the first 6 songs was bad, the instruments were too loud and you couldnt hear Bono's voice .
    The setlist is also dodgy ,too many inferior songs.
    It was only about half way thru that the show burst into life ,it seemed flat up to that.
    Bono was very restrained on stage and the B stages are hopelessly bad.
    They dont extend very far into the crowd and are far too low.
    Alot of people were complaining about this.
    Zoo Station and the Fly were showstoppers and the band finished very well.
    I got the feeling they were just going thru the emotions.
    I'd give the show 6.5/10 ,its nowhere as good as the last 3 tours.
    I was going to go to Croke Park but I'm gonna save my money for something better.
    Pity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It pees me off when someone makes the effort to speak out for the under priveliged to be then sneered at with jibes lik "how much is he donating etcetc"
    As some have said its not his or geldofs job to donate.
    I admire both Bono and Geldof hugely as they know they will always get negatives about their work for aid but they dont care how much they are sneered once they speak out.
    Fair balls to them and screw the begrudgers.
    Only a month or so ago here on boards in music board Bono was getting a slating and pathetic namecalling from boards members.
    Typical Irish is what i say, begrudgers the lot of them :(

Why should bono donate any money 'to make poverty history'... Its not bono that the african countries are in debt to... He's campaigning for the larger nations etc who hold these debts over these countries to drop their debt to help africa....

As others have said, he is publicising something that he feels it is necessary to do...

Hear hear. I don't have a problem with the guy at all. he's doing a good job with the publicity Africa wouldn't have otherwise received.

At the same time, I don't think the proper solution is to 'cancel the debt'. Debt isn't necessarily the main problem. CORRUPTION is. End corruption, end wars, end hunger, end poverty.

Just my two cents worth.

• Advertisement

TheLedge wrote:
    At the same time, I don't think the proper solution is to 'cancel the debt'. Debt isn't necessarily the main problem. CORRUPTION is. End corruption, end wars, end hunger, end poverty.

Just my two cents worth.
    its a start thought. All the above situations more than likely stem from lack of money etc due to debt. This is where the corruption etc sneaks in...

its a start thought. All the above situations more than likely stem from lack of money etc due to debt. This is where the corruption etc sneaks in...

I can't remember which country it was...maybe Zaire or Tanzania who had it's debt cancelled a couple of years back. First thing the 'King' did was buy a 50 million palace in the south of France....while his people continued to starve.

just a thought. :(

Cancelling the debt will do no good if the benefit is not felt by the people of Africa. They need responsible leaders who can give guarantees that they won't immediately get into more debt by going out and buying a brand new airforce to destroy their neighbours! :eek:

oh i agree definitely, there is corruption as you have shown, but there does need to be 'controls' put in place to stop this type of thing after debt cancellation...

education is the key i think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

definatly getting off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Dcully wrote:
    It pees me off when someone makes the effort to speak out for the under priveliged to be then sneered at with jibes lik "how much is he donating etcetc"
    Agreed, the man has made others donate alot more than he could ever do. Forget how much money he parts with, just remember he has gotten through to millions of the public including world leaders and politicians and made them do something....altho i have to admit his preaching can get annoying at times, but it helps millions of underprivilaged people so why not.

Advertisement