Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to lighten things up.

In case anyone saw the pictures and was worried about the duckings they were rescued

http://i.imgur.com/jFsSQ.jpg

Ive seen that picture for years on various emails and always felt a small bit of pain for the mother duck. Never knew they were rescued, thanks man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I've read up to about page 20, so apologies if these have posted already (best thread on boards too!).

The term 'balls of steel' is an understatement to the pilot. I think he can also justifiably be termed a hero too:

153D181C4B20B2BA968C16

This image is one of my earliest memories (i was 4 at the time), i remember standing slack jawed at the television as i had a little bath tub boat and thought that this couldn't happen to actual boats with hundreds of people on them:

090306picturepast--123616730076750700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

298705_1.jpg?ts=1348909922

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Our own Tom Crean with puppies from the above dogs. The pic may not be something that stands out but the story behind the man and what he endured and did on that expedition is amazing!
    Tom-Crean-01.jpg

They have a beer named after him now...http://bit.ly/NR0aH9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tom Crean was some man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

and his captian ernest shackleton...read about their voyage to the pole..You couldnt make it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

tippspur wrote: »
    Tom Crean was some man.

He had a heart like a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Fox News accidently show a drivers suicide live on air at the end of car chase.....

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

^^^That genuinely sent cold shivers down my back, shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

article-2212164-1551BAAC000005DC-881_634x436.jpg
    article-2212164-1552F8EE000005DC-355_634x415.jpg
    article-2212164-15542086000005DC-283_306x392.jpg
    article-2212164-15531DBD000005DC-966_634x448.jpg

And then we have
    article-2212405-1555B186000005DC-117_634x383.jpg

:rolleyes:

From here and here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

^^^^
    What's the relevance of the Obama/Oprah pic? America are not the world police, nor should we want them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

^^^^
    What's the relevance of the Obama/Oprah pic? America are not the world police, nor should we want them to be.

America can't win, can it?,
    If it acts in force, people will claim: invasion, no right, world police, etc!
    If it doesn't act in force, people will claim: why no help, don't care, no oil, etc!

Its like Somalia
    >Rwanda all over again,
    The US interjected in Somalia in the early 90's and shortly after the 'Black Hawk Down' chapter they were pulled out as everyone was saying they shouldn't be there/ it wasn't right.
    For just such reasons the US stayed away from the likes of Rwanda because they didn't want to go in only to be told "F-OFF, your not wanted".

Just watch, the moment the US get involved militarily after all the pleas for help people will then suspect their motives quickly forgetting how they begged for help in the first place.

This is not to imply the US/ US Military are absolved from wrong-doing on other fronts!

Basically its a crazy f*cked up world right now!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Killinator wrote: »
    If it doesn't act in force, people will claim: why no help, don't care, no oil, etc!

Its like Somalia
    >Rwanda all over again,
    The US interjected in Somalia in the early 90's and shortly after the 'Black Hawk Down' chapter they were pulled out as everyone was saying they shouldn't be there/ it wasn't right.
    For just such reasons the US stayed away from the likes of Rwanda because they didn't want to go in only to be told "F-OFF, your not wanted".

Just watch, the moment the US get involved militarily after all the pleas for help people will then suspect their motives quickly forgetting how they begged for help in the first place.

This is not to imply the US/ US Military are absolved from wrong-doing on other fronts!

Basically its a crazy f*cked up world right now!:confused:

I guess in these kinds of situations, people see terrible things happening and want it to stop and think that someone should do something, but we also live in a culture of suspicion these days for various reasons and so are inclined to immediately doubt people's motives, especially post-9/11.

And in fairness, I'm sure there are "good" reasons why the US choose to get involved in certain countries and not in others that have nothing to do with public pressure. I can't imagine the US administration (or really any administration) doing anything that isn't in their own interests.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Killinator wrote: »
    Going way off topic, but the UN generally wait until the fighting has died down a bit before they go in.

1301.jpg

(seated left to right): Sir Alexander Cadogan (Permanent Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs), Air Chief Marshall Wilfred Freeman, Prime Minister Winston Churchill, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adm. Sir Dudley Poud, Field Marshall Sir John Dill, and Lord Cherwell. Back row (left to right): Averill Harriman, Harry Hopkins, Adm. King, Adm. McIntire, Sumner Wells, Maj. Gen. Watson, John Roosevelt, Adm. Stark, Rear Adm. Beardall, Gen. Marshall, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jr. [August 1941]

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Guys, lets keep the chat to a minimum and post more pics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

223233.png

223234.png

First year anniversary of Steve Jobs. Lovely tribute on Apple today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Did a search and nothing showed up, its the MS Estonia at the bottom of the Baltic Sea, I remember the news at the time and trying to comprehend 850 people being on one boat not to mind drowning.

3251estonia3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

6 year old Carlos Daniel Gonzalez and his 4 year old sister Izabel have just saw both their parents murdered. They have to explain to police what happened.

article-0-156D56E0000005DC-89_634x399.jpg

Carlos comforts his 4 year old sister:

article-0-156D57AB000005DC-111_634x430.jpg

Poor kid :(

article-0-156D57A3000005DC-456_634x417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Jesus :( Not just his parents, but 5 of his siblings too, according to here.
    Sorry for the chat, but I'm just heartbroken reading this. What animals could do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Chris_McCandless.png

A self-portrait of Christopher McCandless in his camp on the Stampede Trail was found undeveloped in his camera after his death.

A must Read book " Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Chris_McCandless.png

A self-portrait of Christopher McCandless in his camp on the Stampede Trail was found undeveloped in his camera after his death.

I cannot understand the hype around this guy. He was incredibly selfish and did not have a clue what he was doing but is somehow being treated like a modern day hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote:

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what
    he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate.
    First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild.
    He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had
    a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [... ] Essentially, Chris
    McCandless committed suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Probably didn't shake the world but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Maybe it was the Eddie Vedder soundtrack that did it for me but it is an incredible story...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Going way off topic, but the UN generally wait until the fighting has died down a bit before they go in.

The UN is usually powerless because of Security Council veto's. The only time that the UN could go in to somewhere was the Korean conflict in the 50s because the Soviets were boycotting the UN and couldn't block anything.

Also off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Malala Yousafazi, age 14

564974_113600088797938_76890885_n.jpg

And after the Taliban shot her for wanting an education.

workers-injured-stretcher-hospital.n.jpg

Don't know about the world but it shook me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Did a search and nothing showed up, its the MS Estonia at the bottom of the Baltic Sea, I remember the news at the time and trying to comprehend 850 people being on one boat not to mind drowning.
    That's not a photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

That's not a photo!

If you're going to say something like that you could at least explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Clanket wrote: »
    If you're going to say something like that you could at least explain
    Look at it - it's clearly a drawing or some other type of rendering. And where on earth is the water clear enough to photograph something with the same level of brightness hundreds of metres into the distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Look at it - it's clearly a drawing or some other type of rendering. And where on earth is the water clear enough to photograph something with the same level of brightness hundreds of metres into the distance?

Ever heard of an ROV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ever heard of an ROV.

MV Estonia is in about 300 ft of water. No matter what type ROV went down, there simply is not enough light at that depth to illuminate 515 feet of hull.

Advertisement