Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oracle 9i crash when I try insert

Options
  • 08-10-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

When I go into oracle via sql plus it won't allow me to insert data into the database.

If I enter an insert statement it just crashes.

No error appears and the file and edit buttons at the top disappear.

Its like it just crashes and remains like that forever until you just close the window down.

What could be going wrong?
    or
    How could I find out whats going wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

its not something like a trigger on the table that fires on insert and it is the trigger that hangs? failing that does the same thing happen on update?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Gonna need a hell of a lot more info.

What user are you logging in as? Does it have insert privileges? Can you do a select?

If so, run the following: SELECT * FROM DUAL

Does it return anything?

What is the actual insert statement? What are the columns in the table you are trying to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Complete uninstall / reinstall - don't bother messing about it shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Complete uninstall / reinstall - don't bother messing about it shouldn't happen.

Um, uninstall/reinstall of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

quinnd6 wrote: »
    When I go into oracle via sql plus it won't allow me to insert data into the database.

If I enter an insert statement it just crashes.

No error appears and the file and edit buttons at the top disappear.

Its like it just crashes and remains like that forever until you just close the window down.

What could be going wrong?
    or
    How could I find out whats going wrong?

Quinn,

1. Are you connecting to the example database? tiger/scott?
    2. What table are you inserting into?
    3. Can you desc the table. eg. desc employees;
    4. Is there anything in there right now? select * from employees;
    5. Let us know what the insert is? eg. insert into employees values(100, 'Johnny');
    6. if it locks - check that you can tnsping the database sid.
    7. try logging in via a dos box window bypassing sqlplus.
    8. Try Toad (if you got it).
    9. verify your tnsnames.ora file is set up.
    10. shutdown and restart the db and the listener service via services.msc

• Advertisement
Advertisement