Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ever Build/Desktop

• 07-10-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

This is going to be my first desktop so I will need everything for it. Thanks in advance wise people.

1. What is your budget? ~€1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Internet - GTA, COD, Football Manager, C+C, Civ

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. No preference

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes-Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Within a month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Gonna try myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    Case €40
    H81M board €50
    gtx970 €350
    BenQ 2450 €150
    Windows €20 from Reddit
    Total €975 I think

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i5 4460 €175
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    Case €40
    H81M board €50
    gtx970 €350
    BenQ 2450 €150
    Windows €20 from Reddit
    Total €975 I think

Any questions ask away

Thanks for that, I also need to get the peripherals, any suggestions

Sorry missed that. Get homeplugs for internet, drop to an i3 4160 to spend on keyboard and mouse

I edited the OP there, it looked like I hadn't changed the templated answers.

I wouldn't know the difference between one mouse/keyboard and another. Is there any in particular you would suggest.

Is there speakers on the screen or do I need to get separate ones.

Is there much of a difference between the i3 and i5. The i5 is €50 more expensive. Is the difference so much that I should put an extra bit of money into it.

Sorry for all the questions I'm a total noob to this stuff.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

On the budget, I'd say just get a €20 mouse and the same for a keyboard, upgrade after if you see the need. I've a €1200 PC with a €100 keyboard, and a €15 mouse. I love my ****ty mouse.
    There arent speakers no, I'm no man to recommend them. You could get a second hand R9 290 to free up about €100 and lose virtually no power

• Advertisement

Is there much of a difference between the i3 and i5. The i5 is €50 more expensive. Is the difference so much that I should put an extra bit of money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

In a budget of 1000. Id expect an i5. Try keep it in there.

Basically i3 has 2 cores. I5 is a 4 core chip.

Digital has benchmarks in the off topic part of the pc building. I3 holds its own in alot of games and is fine for a thight budget. but drops off in others, the i5 be more guaranteed performance on all games.

Get a cheap mouse and keyboard for starting off.same with speakers(most people use a headset) Nothing fancy then down the line pick up better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Would this RAM suit my build

Yep.

grindle wrote: »
    Yep.

Cheers it's an Amazon lightening deal at 6:10pm

• Advertisement

this is probably the first in a long line of very simple questions but can I pick any case or is there a minimum size I have to go with or are there different lay outs

would it be worth getting a say 250gb ssd and if so will I need a bigger psu

thanks

this is probably the first in a long line of very simple questions but can I pick any case or is there a minimum size I have to go with or are there different lay outs
    mATX and ATX are two different motherboard sizes & both fit inside ATX cases but an ATX motherboard will not fit inside an mATX case.
    would it be worth getting a say 250gb ssd
    Yes.
    if so will I need a bigger psu
    No, SSD's are power-efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see you're in Dublin. Pop over to Currys/PC World in Blanchardstown shopping centre if you can, and look at the mice there. The only reason I say this is because IMO you'll want a mouse that is comfortable in your hand ( for GTA and CoD), and I was able to see which mouse suited me best by looking at the different ones (the boxes would be open at the top, and the mouse would be under a plastic mould).

mATX and ATX are two different motherboard sizes & both fit inside ATX cases but an ATX motherboard will not fit inside an mATX case.

Yes.

No, SSD's are power-efficient.

Thanks

When I type in H81M into the search bars, obviously a load of results come back but they all have different letters after the H81M, some have DG4, DGS, BTC. Does it matter which one I actually get?

Thanks

When I type in H81M into the search bars, obviously a load of results come back but they all have different letters after the H81M, some have DG4, DGS, BTC. Does it matter which one I actually get?
    Some will have slightly different specs to others. Different max RAM speeds, different surround sound specs, maybe an extra PCI slot.

If you're the average gamer who just wants a CPU, GPU & couple of storage drives, it doesn't matter, no. If you have specific equipment you'd like to use with the PC (like you have an optical surround sound system, or want 7.1 as opposed to 5.1, or have a certain amount of USBs on the case's front, etc etc) then you have to be sure of specs.

Some will have slightly different specs to others. Different max RAM speeds, different surround sound specs, maybe an extra PCI slot.

If you're the average gamer who just wants a CPU, GPU & couple of storage drives, it doesn't matter, no. If you have specific equipment you'd like to use with the PC (like you have an optical surround sound system, or want 7.1 as opposed to 5.1, or have a certain amount of USBs on the case's front, etc etc) then you have to be sure of specs.

I'm just a simple man with simple needs. None of that fancy stuff will be bothering me I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

would it be worth getting a say 250gb ssd and if so will I need a bigger psu

thanks

Ssd is worth it. Won't make a difference to psu.

Pick a case and link it or post here can help with it.

Didn't see second page. As grindle said.

So my build is looking like this, I am not confident that I have picked the correct parts so all comments more than welcome, I would particularly highlight the board and graphics as total blind folded picks

HDD - €45 - Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive

SSD - €80 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO (Basic) Series 250GB

RAM - €37 - Crucial Sport 8 GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800

CPU - €180 - Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)

PSU - €59 - Corsair Builder Series CX500 500 Watt ATX 2.3

Monitor - €150 - BenQ GL2450

Board - €40 - ASRock H81M-VG4 R2.0

Graphics - €342 - MSI GTX 970 4096MB GeForce 4GD5T OC active PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)

Case - Open to suggestions

Thanks!!!!

Its fine.

Nanoxia DS3 is a nice quiet case, pretty plain, suits me.

cheers, is there any money being wasted or is there anything you would change

• Advertisement

How come most of the cases I have looked at only seem to have 2 or 3 usb slots on the front, no mention of them having more elsewhere, am I missing something because surely you need more

How come most of the cases I have looked at only seem to have 2 or 3 usb slots on the front, no mention of them having more elsewhere, am I missing something because surely you need more

The backs of motherboards generally have four or more.

The backs of motherboards generally have four or more.

ah right, the motherboard I have put in my build says it has 6 usb ports, is that in addition to the 2/3 ports the case comes with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ah right, the motherboard I have put in my build says it has 6 usb ports, is that in addition to the 2/3 ports the case comes with?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/H81M-VG4%28L1%29.jpg

so looking at the pic, the motherboard has 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back, and 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back.

When you're actually making the computer the case will have wires that you can hook up to the motherboard to connect those front ports on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

No, the motherboard has 4 x USB 2.0 ports and 2. x USB 3.0 ports on it. (on the back of the computer).

:confused: okay I was just going to order when I realised there is fixed cable, modular, non modular and semi modular versions for the PSU, the fixed cable is cheapest, is there any difference for someone of my level of understanding

What version of windows should I be getting?

The cheapest one you can find. If that's 7 or 8 you can upgrade to 10 for free.

Also, your PSU question: fixed cable = messiest or more likely to be messy, the other two are tidy.

Put in order with mindfactory late Friday night and it just landed in the door now, can't complain with that

• Advertisement

I've finally sat down to put my parts together and the cables just seem to be getting the better of me.

I've all the parts in place but I've a few cables that I can't seem to see what to do with.

What's the best video tutorial that might aid me

Cheers

Advertisement