Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

opinions on server build?

• 03-10-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

hello,

i recently came across this server build and thinking of buying it.
    only thing is the case comes to 220 euro when p&p is included on amazon.
    any way to get this case cheaper or what other case would house these components?

http://www.expta.com/2014/09/expta-gen5-windows-2012-r2-hyper-v.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any mATX or ATX case will cover you.

That's a serious server, what're you wanting to host

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

mainly hyper-v/vmware training. i know its prob overkill but it will do me for some time i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any mATX or ATX case will cover you.

That's a serious server, what're you wanting to host

Could you link to a few nice covers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nice you for you mightn't be nice for me. Try BitFenix, NZXT, Corsair, Cooler Master, Lian Li for nice cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Not to put you down but I can run two windows server virtual machines at the same on a g3258 and 8gb of ram and they all run fine as well as windows 8 virtual machine. Unless your going to be loading the vms with heavy applications 32gb of ram is fairly overkill.

I5, 16GB of ram, 350w power supply, 1TB drive, h81 board would probably be more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Considering the site he linked to(MCSE blog basically), you can easily be running 20+ VM's when setting up labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Considering the site he linked to(MCSE blog basically), you can easily be running 20+ VM's when setting up labs.

I have mcsa and three vms is enough and 3 is enough for the MCSE but your better off using something like amazon Web services as well as vms. You definitely don't need 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

booooring! wrote: »
    I have mcsa and three vms is enough and 3 is enough for the MCSE but your better off using something like amazon Web services as well as vms. You definitely don't need 20.

You could try cram everything onto a single vm but most labs expect you to follow real world considerations with HA and separate server functions. And when you scale in the MCSE's you will be expected to be able to bring up a functional infrastructure consisting of multiple elements. Christ AD labs alone expects 5 DC's for role breakout.

A home server and large VM environment can be a valuable tool for any IT support staff looking to upskill. AWS is a short term solution to a long term problem. And I say this as somebody with 150$ a month credit with Azure.

Advertisement