Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT and running lights

Options
  • 18-11-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a new second hand car and have it booked in for an NCT in a week. Its a 2007 Fiat Punto Grande 1.4 16v.

The error message 'Check running lights' keeps popping up. Will the car be failed for it's NCT if the running lights are not working? I'm assuming 'running lights' are lights at the front by the headlights?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

redsovine wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a new second hand car and have it booked in for an NCT in a week.

The error message 'Check running lights' keeps popping up. Will the car be failed for it's NCT if the running lights are not working? I'm assuming 'running lights' are lights at the front by the headlights?

Maybe it's Daylight running light. If they don't work, it won't be a reason for fail.

Check if your side light (front and read), dipped headlights, full beam headlights, indicators, stop lights, rear fog light(s), reversing light, and rear number plate lights work.
    If so, you should be fine for NCT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a new second hand car and have it booked in for an NCT in a week.

Afaik they are your side lights

Have you checked if they are working? It's a fail if they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 redsovine

Thanks you so much CiniO.

I think they are the daylight running lights but I will double check to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Could a mod please make a sticky about make / model / year to be included in all questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Surely running lights are different to sidelights?

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    Could a mod please make a sticky about make / model / year to be included in all questions?

Original post edited to add these details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

The Grande Punto has no DRLs, the warning is for your sidelights. Have you 4 tail lights and 2 front sidelights working? You'll fail your NCT if not, unfortunately.

Failing that, the bulb warning system in the Punto is very finicky. If you've an old bulb, it might look fine from the outside but be putting out slightly less current. If all your lights appear to be working, you'll have to visually inspect all bulbs front and rear to try and find one slightly corroded or black looking.

My old MK2 Punto kept telling me I'd a blown bulb even though they all illuminated. Turned out to be the rear fog light bulb that was mildly corroded and putting out 16W rather than 21W. It looked perfect through the lens however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

And as far as I know, any warning light appearing (and staying) on dash is a reason to fail NCT. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

joujoujou wrote: »
    And as far as I know, any warning light appearing (and staying) on dash is a reason to fail NCT. :(

No it isn't.
    There is certain list of lights which are reason for fail.

Unregistered Users

CiniO wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    There is certain list of lights which are reason for fail.

Yes, you're right, I'm wrong. :o

[url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/558715/229255.gif[/IMG][/url]

Masz rację.

• Advertisement

A big thank you to everyone for there advice and help.

It was indeed blown rear sidelights causing the warning message. I opened the rear clusters and found the blown bulbs. I thought the side lights were fine but I was mistaking other lights for them. Inexperience on my part and I thank you all for saving me the from the instant NCT fail.

Happy motoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

A big thank you to everyone for there advice and help.

It was indeed blown rear sidelights causing the warning message. I opened the rear clusters and found the blown bulbs. I thought the side lights were fine but I was mistaking other lights for them. Inexperience on my part and I thank you all for saving me the from the instant NCT fail.

Happy motoring :)
    Your brake lights or rear fogs are faulty if you were mistaking them for tail lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

langdang wrote: »
    Your brake lights or rear fogs are faulty if you were mistaking them for tail lights!

There's always one eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

langdang wrote: »

The Grande Punto has 4 tail lights, with 2 doubling up as brake lights. The two 5W's usually blow before the 21/5W's, leaving you with what looks like a perfectly working rear setup.

I reckon that wouldn't have failed an NCT unless the tester happened to own a GP himself. With both 5W's blown it doesn't look like there's anything wrong. You still have a brake light and a tail light on either side.

The Grande Punto has 4 tail lights, with 2 doubling up as brake lights. The two 5W's usually blow before the 21/5W's, leaving you with what looks like a perfectly working rear setup.

I reckon that wouldn't have failed an NCT unless the tester happened to own a GP himself. With both 5W's blown it doesn't look like there's anything wrong. You still have a brake light and a tail light on either side.

Thank you - thats exactly what was confusing me as all looked fine but I was getting the error message.

NCT fail or not - the bulbs are replaced and I've managed to get rid of the annoying warning message.

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

joujoujou wrote: »

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is the engine management light on a petrol car a fail?

I think it is for a diesel, but it's not mentioned above so am wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is the engine management light on a petrol car a fail?

I think it is for a diesel, but it's not mentioned above so am wondering?

its not a fail for petrol or diesel car. but may refuse to do a smoke test if light is on a diesel car and engine doesnt seem to be running properly.

Unregistered Users

nct tester wrote: »
    its not a fail for petrol or diesel car. [...]
    I wish I knew it before test. ;)

I wouldn't replace faulty 2nd lambda just to get rid of "check engine" light. :D

nct tester wrote: »
    its not a fail for petrol or diesel car. but may refuse to do a smoke test if light is on a diesel car and engine doesnt seem to be running properly.

Thanks :) I'll probably get it reset anyway, fault codes show up nothing:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

If its an older or 2nd (or subsequent) hand car it hardly has daylight running lights. These only became compulsory on all new cars from Feb 2011.

• Advertisement
Advertisement