Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Matchplay Ruling needed

• 05-08-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys, just played an individual matchplay there and we were A/S after 18 holes. We then played 3 more holes and were still A/S. My partner had to leave and we agreed that we would pick up where we left off tomorrow (on the 4th hole). I had heard of a rule that states that if you exceed the 18 holes in matchplay that all other play-off holes would be played off scratch and that no shots come into play for either partner on the lower indexes that they had in the first 18 holes. Is this just hear/say, or what are your views on it?! (Apologies for the long post, and I hope I've written clearly!)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If he cannot continue should you not win the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Golfan87

He's a good friend of mine and I would never do it! Within the rules you are right and I could though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You keep your shots but guidelines say that that first few(not sure how many) holes of a playoff should be high index holes... So in theory there should not be a situation where the majority of players have a shot in a playoff.
    I.e index 1 shouldn't be the first playoff hole.

These are only guidelines and doesn't necessarily have to be the case but it may be where the confusion is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Golfan87

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    You keep your shots but guidelines say that that first few(not sure how many) holes of a playoff should be high index holes... So in theory there should not be a situation where the majority of players have a shot in a playoff.

These are only guidelines and doesn't necessarily have to be the case but it may be where the confusion is coming from

Thanks AJ, much appreciated! Yeah we played the first 3 holes and they are index 12, 14, 16 so it wasn't an issue. We're picking up on index 4 and there's a shot to be played. I knew I should have asked before going out and saying that it was a flat match :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ajcurry123 wrote: »

What?!

If the first in your home club is Index 1 and you are due a shot you get it.

What guidelines? So if there is low index holes at the start you should skip them and come back to them later?!:eek:

If that was the case id have a better match play record:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

The club should have rules/guidelines up for the competition. This would include playoff rules, in my club you continue through the field (finish on 18th, start on 1st, finish on 9, start on 10th etc.).

I would be *very careful* in postponing the playoff without consent from the golf ops, best thing to do is simply call the competition organiser - not boards! :)

Good luck and close out the match! If the going gets tough, dont give in - make him beat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting question alright, what is the answer? I'm not sure myself

I would have imagine that the playoff holes are played of scratch, with the thought process you are "given" a certain amount of shots by your handicapp for the 18 holes. By the 19th, you have exhausted all these shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

TheDoc wrote: »
    Interesting question alright, what is the answer? I'm not sure myself

I would have imagine that the playoff holes are played of scratch, with the thought process you are "given" a certain amount of shots by your handicapp for the 18 holes. By the 19th, you have exhausted all these shots.

If you had a shot the first time you played the hole you will have it again on the playoff hole. If this wasnt the case then the lower handicaper out of the 2 would be getting a huge advantage if there was alot of shots between the players ie a 2 handicap playing a 20 handicap . the 20 will still have a shot on every hole that goes past the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

AGC wrote: »
    What?!

What guidelines? So if there is low index holes at the start you should skip them and come back to them later?!:eek:

Not sure of the ins and outs but the GUI made a recommendation this year regarding indexing for matchplay. Something along the lines of you shouldn't start or end with a low index hole amongst other things. As a result we now have a separate Matchplay card with different indices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Poker Face wrote: »
    If you had a shot the first time you played the hole you will have it again on the playoff hole. If this wasnt the case then the lower handicaper out of the 2 would be getting a huge advantage if there was alot of shots between the players ie a 2 handicap playing a 20 handicap . the 20 will still have a shot on every hole that goes past the 18th.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Although in terms of maybe playing devils advocate, I'd say the the advantage was lost by the person getting shots, not sealing the deal in the first 18. If anything providing the shots again gives more advantage to the person receiving shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Lots of wrong information above.

However :
    - you play the playoff holes in the normal order of the course
    - you get/receive any shots according to the indices with the shots the same number as when playing the original 18
    - there is no problem postponing a match play match or extra holes when in the middle of it ifits by agreement of both sides
    - the guidelines are by the GUI/Congu for the setting of indices in the first place (and do include such things as index 1 being neither hole 1 or 18, equal balance of shots between the two nines etc). But that is for the committee. Playes play the indices as printed and cannot adjust them themselves (this would result in disqualification even if by agreement of both sides).

Time to bring in a rules test to be eligible to hold a GUI handicap.....

What?!

CONGU guidelines... as I said, they are only guidelines, they are not always adhered to by clubs nor do they have to be adhered to.

If the 19th hole is SI 1 then that is that (I don't know how you got the idea of skipping holes)
    The club, if following guidelines, shouldn't have it as the 19th though.

Guidelines here page 67 http://www.gui.ie/handicap-manual/congu_2012_correct-pdf.aspx

From guidelines

.....The first and second stroke index holes should be placed close to the centre of each nine.....
    ...None of the first eight strokes should be allocated to the first or the last hole
    ....This avoids a player receiving an undue advantage on the 19th hole should a match continue to sudden death...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The skipping holes comment was tongue and cheek.

I know most clubs have an even spread over the front and back 9 but if the first happens to be index 1 so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Almaviva wrote: »
    Lots of wrong information above....

- there is no problem postponing a match play match or extra holes when in the middle of it ifits by agreement of both sides

What happens if all matches are to be played/decided by the 6th, and the players agree to postpone till the 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Magic Pips wrote: »
    What happens if all matches are to be played/decided by the 6th, and the players agree to postpone till the 7th?

DQ in my club.

The skipping holes comment was tongue and cheek.

I know most clubs have an even spread over the front and back 9 but if the first happens to be index 1 so be it.

The OP was confused and wasn't sure if shots carried into a playoff.
    I told him that the confusion was misguided and most likely stemmed from these CONGU guidelines

He got my post, you didn't seem to :D;)

The 1st in mine is SI 1 as well, am seriously considering a move next year on the basis of their total disregard towards the guidelines :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Magic Pips wrote: »

Both sides are disqualified having missed the latest (or prior by agreement of both sides) time defined by the cmpetition committee for the completion of the match.

Advertisement