Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick Question - Visa Waiver Program or P1 Visa?

• 05-10-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

Juse one question which hopefully somebody knows the answer to. I was on the phone the US embassy in Dublin but they said I need to send them an email and I won't have an answer in time to meet my deadline for making my decision.

Do I need a P1 visa for internationally recognised athletes or can I travel to the US on the Visa Waiver Programme?

I will be cycling with a professional cycling team next year. It is an American based team. I will only be over in the US for a trip of <90 days at the start of the year. The rest of the year I will be based in Europe and will return home Ireland for the winter. I will be paid a monthly salary by the team.

I was looking at this website to see who needs P1 visas and who can travel under the VWP. It says:
    Limited Engagements
    Foreign athletes and foreign sports teams seeking to enter the US for a limited engagement, such as a promotional event, may be able to enter on the Visa Waiver Program or on a B-1 visa if they meet the following three criteria: 1. The foreign athlete and the foreign sports team have their principal place of business or activity outside the United States; 2. The income of the foreign team and the salary of its players are principally accrued outside the United States; and 3. The foreign-based sports team is a member of an international sports league or the sporting activities involved have an international dimension.

If I am only training and not competing in events would this be considered limited engagement? 1. My principal activity would be outside the US, 2. I would be paid into an Irish bank account by my American employers, 3. The team is internationally recognized and competes in international level events. So as a result of this would I be able to travel under the Visa Waiver Program? Does it depend on whether I am paid into a US or Irish bank account and if I compete in events over there or just train?

On the other hand, I was also looking at this website which says:
    a. Temporary Visas for Professional Athletes

Professional athletes can come to the U.S. to participate in tournaments or competitions using a visa waiver (if he or she comes from a visa waiver country) or by using a B-1 Visitor visa.

A professional athlete who is in the U.S. on a visa waiver or B-1 visa cannot earn money in the U.S. other than prize money from tournaments. The professional athlete is expected to have a residence outside the U.S. that he or she will return to after the competition is complete.
    This visa is not appropriate if the athlete wants to live in the U.S. full time.

So while I will have a residence outside of the US, I would still be earning money from my salary while I am over there (it could be paid into an Irish bank account but it is still from my employers who are an American company). So looking at this do you think I would actually need a P1 Visa for my trip?

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would say you need a visa, because the first stuff you quoted is for foreign teams, but you will be competing/ working for a US team/ employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Neither of those quotes are from official US Government websites so I wouldn't waste my time interpreting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If you want to work (which is what you will be doing) in the US you cannot seek admission to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. You must apply for a visa.

I'm surprised that your team co-ordinator hasn't informed you of this, as they are the ones who have to file petition for you.

Advertisement